Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

In this interveiw: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/plane ... /view-all/

It is said that to run 2-4 players sandy bridge is likely minimum.

However this is followed by saying there will be games of 40 plus players.

I feel that is is fairly bad management if the vast majority of people who play the game can never play it to its full extent, what absurd power will be need for forty players? Only high end gaming rigs can do that, and those who can afford those are by far in the minority.

I personally use a gaming laptop with eight core i7-2670 QM and a Nvidia GTX 570M, this is a laptop i bought less than six months ago. This interview basically says if i don't buy a new high end computer i can only have 2-4 player games.

I find this could be a substantial issue, what say you?
    Last edited: September 11, 2012
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The exact quote is "Anything past Sandy Bridge as far as embedded graphics go" (Emphasis added).
  3. zaryck

zaryck New Member

On a previous interview Mavor said that the scale of the game is limited only by the server machine.
    But there is a thing that is very important about this, that is the asynchronous model for multiplayer, which means that only the server must calculate the simulation freeing your cpu to run the game better.
    So, the real cap on games is the server, which Uber will provide for us with awesome machines (i hope).
    I think that the best part of all this is the scalability, because with time and better pcs the game will not become outdated, only more epic.
  4. syx0

syx0 New Member

First of all, all the stuff said above. So it will not be as bad as you think.

Secondly, they have explicitly stated that they want this game to be sooooo scalable that you are still doing new and interesting things 5 years after release.

Thirdly: are you actually suggesting that they artificially limit the player count in order to make you feel like there is nothing more to be gained from the game? I don't know about you, but I can't see anyone benefiting from that, developer or gamer.
  5. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

No i am saying they should put a bit more effort into optimization.

But whatever.
  6. sacrificiallamb

sacrificiallamb Member

I don't think the engine is done yet, the real specs are some way off. what they say about the game now is not final and almost certainly less so with specs.
  7. mrniceguy916

mrniceguy916 New Member

You think a game that can handle 40 players won't be optimized? I'd like to know how that works and since you have the background in game development I'm sure you'd be happy to let me know.

Like others have said also, things are bound to change.
  8. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Ooooh, where can I buy your special processor with 8 cores? ;)
  9. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Sorry i was reading off Dxdiag, it listed
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16362MB RAM

8 CPU's, i was reading everything a bit wrong, my bad entirely. Anyhow feel free to take this thread and lock it up tight, i made a mistake.

Sorry everyone, have a great day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.