Split Screen Co-op

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cosmoray, September 11, 2012.

?

Do you have any interest in a split screen co-op mode?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    81.6%
  1. cosmoray

cosmoray New Member

Someone suggested this in the 5th stretch goal thread, perhaps as a joke, but I think it's a really exciting idea. I'm sure Uber already has a 5th stretch goal lined up, so I'm not suggesting this should be that. I'm just curious how many people might be interested in a feature like split screen co-op.

For the devs: Is there a reason no other RTS games have done this? Is it technically feasible?

You could even have a vs mode with the certified Uber Entertainment Divider [​IMG]
  2. magicide1

magicide1 Member

I hate to say it but isn't this a solution in search of a problem?

It's going to be an internet playable PC game. Why would you want to play it in a coop mode when you have so much more freedom to play together on separate machines as a team. The only real use for split screen would be microing units and the spirit of the game seems to be mass disposable swarms that explode in an amusing fashion.
  3. cosmoray

cosmoray New Member

Yeah, maybe this is a problem specific to me. I don't have a lot of dedicated gamer friends, so it's sometimes difficult to get someone over for a LAN party that has a reasonable computer.
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

So play online?
  5. syx0

syx0 New Member

I am pretty sure that the standard event queue method of handling keypresses cannot tell if a command came from keyboard 1 or 2. I could be wrong.

If this is true, then the devs would reaaaaally have to jump through hoops to even get the control scheme for splitscreen going.

Not to mention that everyone has a PC, nobody likes splitscreen, LAN is theoretically nearly as good, and about 1000x times easier and more enjoyable for everyone.
  6. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

7. Kogies

Kogies New Member

Oh, and the massive allocations (I believe unrestricted) for army size would make this such a huge drain on one's PC. Not to mention that the biggest problem is perhaps rendering two "scenes" with everything that goes along with that...
  8. molloy

molloy Member

Here's a little bit of Herzog Zwei splitscreen RTS gameplay on the Mega Drive/Genesis to whet your appetite.

[​IMG]

This is a silly idea.
  9. mrwonko

mrwonko Member

But that's a confirmed feature.

I think lan coop is enough though.
  10. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

It would make LAN parties easier if you could have a LAN party with just one computer though?

:? :mrgreen:
  11. nobrains

nobrains Member

Definition of LAN party says no.
  12. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I have the answer: Console port! :twisted:
  13. asgo

asgo Member

I would remove the one computer restriction but keep the co-op idea.
    Having a multi player modus, where one actually shares the same side not just the team would be a nice variation.
  14. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Like this?
    It's always a good idea to keep abreast of the Confirmed features and suggestions thread. ;)
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=34022
  15. asgo

asgo Member

ah thanks, nice to see
  16. archer6110

archer6110 Member

I have to post simply because people nowadays seem to not have physical friends in real life >.<

Just because it's easier to play online doesn't mean split screen should disappear! Split Screen is one of the greatest inventions in video game history, letting groups of friends share a game, side by side with nothing in between! The only reason I can see anyone not wanting split screen is literally because they don't have the friends to play with.

That said I'm actually not super keen on seeing split screen in this game. If it were feasible sure but I know enough about computer game development to see where the problems would arise in an rts (most obviously mouse and keyboard control, since computers don't handle these things the way they handle joysticks and the like) and the rts itself isn't really made for split screen (you'd always know where your opponent was, where his important stuff is and where his next big move is coming from) So I guess I'd have to go with the "no" myself unless it was something that turned out to be super easy to implement.
  17. asgo

asgo Member

without a change history it's too cumbersome for my taste to scan the bullet points manually for a change, at least most of the time ;)
  18. rab777

rab777 New Member

cheap high speed internet killed LAN parties as far as I'm concerned. There is no need when you can just hook up and talk over the net. The alternative is just so much hassle in comparison.
  19. thapear

thapear Member

I quite disagree, there's nothing like a good lan party with a few mates. Being able to share drinks, food and games is one of the best things to do in my opinion.
  20. cosmoray

cosmoray New Member

I agree with his disagreement. Basically the only time I ever play games with my friends is via LAN. Gamin with vent or something is so much less personal. Plus, nothing beats the post game drinks and strategy discussion.