Possible Mass Disappointment about Galactic War

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. I share your view, there better be some clarification.

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. I sense no imminent danger, everything will be fine.

66 vote(s)
    86.8%
  3. Your observation is correct, but still – sit sight.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. acey195

acey195 Member

I personally think the GW will play out more like a total war game campaign, or rise of nations world dominance mode (or whatever it was called)

Real time battles (duhuh), but with a "turn based" meta game
    At this time home computers are not capable of simulating more than maybe a couple of planetary systems.

turn based would mean, one battle per turn basically.
    If GW could generate some extra goals, outside the direct battle, that would be nice for single player GW, but maybe not so for competitive multiplayer GW. Something like, capture system X, for extra starting units on the following battle, that kind of stuff.

Spore just only calculated the planet you were currently visiting and some meta data of each planet (evolution stage, it being attacked, natural hazard) It saved the data of each planet, but it was not in the working memory after you left the planet. If you have a source telling otherwise, I would be astonished.
  2. Spooky

Spooky Member

In the PC Gamer interview, that came out at the same time the project was announced, he stated pretty clearly, that he wants to do something similar to Boneyards in Total Annihilation, i.e. a Galactic War metagame. May be you were not familiar with Boneyards, but I'd guess that many are, since this is a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation. I don't think there will be as much disappointment as you make it out to be. Even if someone really wants it to be "real-time", I'd also guess that most realize, that this might not happen, since it's only something they wish.
    Last edited: September 11, 2012
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't underestimate the last few days of a kickstarter! ;p

Mike
  4. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

*Looking at Solforge Kickstarter's end.*
  5. Spooky

Spooky Member

The average amount in the last 5 days was $74,616. We need an average of $52,366 per day to achieve $1,800,000 (including today). From these projections alone the chances are pretty good. There probably won't be as much today and tomorrow, but in the last two days, it could rise again, as it pretty much always does at the end of a kickstarter campaign.
  6. thedbp

thedbp Member

judging by how the curve is "beginning" here in the last 3 days, it looks a lot like it's going to end off like a lot of other kickstarters which have an exponential end curve.

[​IMG]

It's going to go well beyond 1.8.

But it might be smart of uber to make a last video as a "LAST CHANCE TO UP YOUR BACK OR BEGIN TO BACK" thing to appeal to the people who are thinking about maybe upping or maybe backing, I'm sure that will get a lot of peoples attention.
  7. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Why does everybody not get, that I am talking about some other people - not about me myself?! I OBSERVED (!!) that many people appear to assume GW not to be a turn based whatever campaign thingy thing thing but in realtime! Not with a single word did I say, I thought GW was going to be that and that. Maybe that is the reason all of you are mad at my poll...
  8. thedbp

thedbp Member

we're just saying what we think it will be, it's something pointed at you, it's pointed at uber.
  9. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I do believe you're over-thinking this, OP. I doubt it will be a problem.
  10. torgamous

torgamous New Member

Kicktraq's lower-end projection has us getting it, and Kicktraq's lower-end projection is always...well...low. The only questions that remain are whether or not stretch goal 5 exists and, if so, whether or not we get it.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think it would be best to put in something small as goal 5. 1,85kk.
    So we might actually reach it.
  12. bathtub

bathtub Member

We'll get it, the only question is how much over we will go. Uber should at least do one more hype video though.
  13. comham

comham Active Member

Seriously, they need to step on the hype pedal. No acknowledgement from them days after hitting SG3. 70 hours left.
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think it was implied that Galactic Wars was a meta-game, and not real time, because your average world-wide-web-goer understands the general limitations of the modern-day desktop computer.

I mean seriously... Calculating, rendering, and waging WAR in a galaxy... in real time... with realistic projectile physics... and highly detailed units... and explosive asteroids... and particle effects...

You get the point. Your average super-computer (you know, the ones that cost billions of dollars) would have a hard time running a similar scenario over the course of a few MONTHS, let alone real time.
  15. Spooky

Spooky Member

The 'acknowledgement' after hitting SG3 was revealing SG4... also there does not seem to be any need to "step on the hype pedal".
  16. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Although hard... I believe it could be done. Star Ruler already calculates and renders multi-thousands of space units with simplified Newtonian physics, orbiting planets/comets/moons/astroid belts/space stations, all within 3D galaxies that can have hundreds of star systems with anywhere from 0 to 10 planets. It also is basically machine-limited. If your computer can handle it, it'll play it. Though I'm pretty sure it isn't x64 compiled, so ram can be a problem for the one big mod. Star Rule also doesn't look terribly pretty, but it is sort of a trade-off for how much is going down in real-time.

However, I see this as a turn-based Total War/Star Wars Empire at War-ish metagame. But I can see how people could get confused or get their hopes up for something insane. After all, just PA itself is so out there it's awesome :p
  17. mushroomars

But bear in mind that SupCom didn't use simplified Newtonian Physics. It used something much more complicated and machine-taxing.

I'm hoping PA does something better, especially for asteroid impacts, such as mass and volume conservation, and realistic progressive calculation, but I just want to see the game before I start complaining about it's lack of gigantonormous battles involving millions of units.
  18. zordon

zordon Member

It's painstakingly bloody obvious GW isn't realtime.
  19. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

I'm going to say that SupCom did have fairly simple physics. However, it also had LOTS of it and relied on collision detection to determine what hit what, which was the really awesome thing about it. Same in TA, though I assume it had an even more simplified physics engine if still impressive. I believe you're hoping for too much with the conservation of mass and other stuff though, that seems way outside the scope of the game.

And I'm definitely not complaining. Just saying I could definitely see it being done. Heck, I don't even want them to do it with this game. I see this game as the first step into another level in the RTS genre, much like Homeworld was with its full 3D movement and control, and then all the mods for the game! So much fun to warp in ABOVE somebody's base, and I anticipate the same feeling of awesome from this game :p
  20. mushroomars

I agree with this. This is another stepping stone on the path towards greatness (for RTSes).

However, I'm hoping I can implement a lot of the stuff I mentioned with a mod. Accurately faking conservation of mass and volume, and realistically modifying terrain isn't a hard thing to do, it's just really, really ******* complicated coding-wise.