Final Release Graphics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by btustorm, September 11, 2012.

1. btustorm

btustorm New Member

So, just curious and after some searches I couldn't find the answer:

Will the final release have a little bit more detail on the models? I do enjoy the direction of the cell-shaded, cartoon-atmosphere currently on display; however, I think the original TA has more detail...

It's not important really as I want functionality and fun over everything, but it's 2012 haha. One thing about Supp Comm that got it big was it was gorgeous... If the graphics are too harsh on a PC - turn the damn settings down. It's not a difficult task.

Anyways, love what I'm reading so far and looking very forward to this... :mrgreen:
  2. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Graphics are deliberately simple.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/planeta ... ith-moons/
  3. Kogies

Kogies New Member

Also, the available footage is not "in-game" graphics. So I'd expect that though the Art design and style will be simple as Ooshr32 mentioned, the in game graphics engine will probably support all of the cool graphical effects of 2012. I really wouldn't worry about it.
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

5. Thundertactics

Thundertactics New Member

I'd actually be impressed if they managed to make it look as good as the pre-rendered trailer. Those are some extraordinarily crisp textures and some fantastic lighting.
  6. btustorm

btustorm New Member

There's not a doubt in my mind that there will be a trade-off for gfx vs. performance, but in all honesty, the original Total Annihilation had "directional physics" for explosions with HUNDREDS of units on screen and it ran perfectly fine.

I wouldn't expect PA to not demonstrate a beautiful scene of explosions since Supp Comm is now a joke to run full blast on 90% of the PCs out there.

If they really can't make things look a little nicer texture-wise on the units I'll be pretty disappointed..... the extremely blocky representations in that video are less detailed than TA.
  7. btustorm

btustorm New Member

Look up "End of Nations" which will feature hundreds of units on screen and has in-game visual demonstrations that crush PA.

One of the selling points of TA was that it was far more beautiful than something like Starcraft.
  8. corhen

corhen Member

keep is simple, keep it safe...
    please keep the art style shown in the trailer, there is no need to make the game look fancy to look awsome! simple, yet crisp, graphics will look better in 10 years time then even the best modern graphics. This is the reason that TF2 still looks decent, and this is the way i want to see the game go!
  9. thedbp

thedbp Member

[​IMG]

Yeah that's cute... this game is going to handle a bit more than just a few hundred supcom alone had support for many thousand units on screen.

Apart from that having to design COD ULTRA REALISTIC TEXTURES AND MODELS would take a lot of dev time the cartoony style ages so much better and is easier to tell apart.

just because it is simple doesn't mean it can't be beautiful, but I guess you're one of the people who thinks minecraft is ugly.
  10. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

"COD ULTRA REALISTIC TEXTURES AND MODELS" Woot? :D
  11. warcorer

warcorer New Member

Who wants a cartoon graphic rts though? Please don't compare this to TF2 that art style has ruined so many games because it becomes too cartoony. All I really want is for the units and textures to be as detailed as TA and SupCom were in their age. I don't mind the graphics in the kickstarter trailer as long as the textures end up having 2012-2013 detail.

Lol COD textures
  12. thedbp

thedbp Member

Well in supcom(both FA and supcom2) I actually had the "overlay" on at all times, because I simply couldn't tell my units apart, and this is a thing that is very difficult to avoid with very "realistic" graphics.

also (hehe)

it's not because I don't want detailed units I just don't feel it have the higher priority.
  13. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I want it a bit cartoony like the trailer video. I want to be able to see my units while I'm playing (agree with above post).
  14. maskedfruitcake

maskedfruitcake New Member

o/

I for one am tired of grit. Nothing would make me happier than if the release graphics were identical to the video.
  15. Thundertactics

Thundertactics New Member

I'm currently in the beta (Twitter key, though I also bought the Founder's thingy), and it does not look as good as PA's pre-rendered stuff does. It looks good, sure, but it's nothing really intensive. It's barely a step above Petroglyph's previous RTS, Universe at War.

PA's pre-rendered trailer features, as I mentioned, extremely high quality textures and lighting. It might not have the slightly more realistic/detailed aesthetics of EoN (and SupCom), but that's just an art style. From a technical perspective, PA's pre-rendered stuff is far more impressive; I think it looks better, too. (I'm just fond of the art style, really.)
    Which is also why I suspect the game won't look that good when it does come out, just like how TF2 doesn't look as good as Valve's later Meet The Team videos. They'll most likely have to resort to basic shadow maps and relatively low-res textures to get it running in real time, just like End of Nations and every other RTS.

(I'd love to be proven wrong, though.)
  16. warcorer

warcorer New Member

Like is said in my post above, I really don't mind cartoony graphics as long as its detailed, not like TF2 cartoons lol. I hope they stick to how the trailer was but just make units have more detail. Most people say why do we need better graphics or more details if were going to just see icons when zoomed out like a lot of people play. Think of it like TW:Shogun 2 most of the time your zoomed out watching and controlling the battlefield, but you want those epic moments when you can zoom in and see individuals fighting in a battlefield of soldiers. I just want to see detail when I zoom in onto my units and buildings and even the terrain.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So what are you most concerned about, the Graphics, or the Aesthetics?

Frankly I really like the Aesthetics Uber has chosen for PA, they are Nicely Simplified and focused without being overly cartoony and dis-proportioned.

The Aesthetics they've chosen is arguably one of the big reasons that Uber will be able to deliver on the timeline and budget they proposed, and for that reason alone they shoudl stick with it.

Mike
  18. kelleroid

kelleroid New Member

There's cartoony, and then there's just simple shapes.
  19. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Just to weigh in, I like the current style PA has. Though I do hope that units blow apart TA-style when destroyed.
  20. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Some people think those units are not detailed enough o_o?