Custom Soundtrack Support

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by yinwaru, August 21, 2012.

1. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

A picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

I would love for this to come back.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

would be nice to have, but not really needed.
    It isnt that hard to put <insert mediaplayer of your choice> up and start the game without music.
  3. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

The problem with that is you can't set specific tracks to Battle, Building, Exploration, etc. I mean, unless you manually wanted to tab out and change the track...

Not really "needed," no. But certainly better than the alternative.
  4. cola_colin

I wouldnt like that anyway. I dont want my music to change just because some unit just started to shoot at something. That would result in: "Oh yeah that part of the song is definitely the best one... oh damn somebody just shot at me now something different is playing"
  5. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Okay... That's not exactly how it worked in SC or TA, it took a lot to trigger a change in the music. One shot didn't change anything. I see that not everyone would utilize it, but it was a great feature in TA and I doubt it'd be too difficult to implement. For those that would use it, it's a blessing. You could even map the original TA soundtrack 1:1 to PA, which would be pretty neat I think.
  6. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Yeah seriously the change in music during gameplay in Total Annihilation was one of the most exciting things during the single-player campaign. I still clearly remember that feature being mentioned on some gamer TV show which captivated my imagination instantly. They should definitely bring that back.

I don't think Uber should spend time allowing you to customize the music, because I don't think many people will use it. I'm sure it'll be structured such that you can simply overwrite each music file with your own, and that should be enough of a customization interface for anyone.
  7. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Custom battle music? On these modern days who knows what wierdness someone might use :lol:

But anyway, if it's not too difficult to implement why not?
  8. cola_colin

You want to put in some dubstep, dont you? ;D
  9. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

10. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I'd like to see custom soundtrack support for mods... otherwise, you could just turn off music in [most] games, and play what you want in your music player of choice.
  11. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Hahaha. While hilarious, not really, no. I do have a few game soundtracks in mind, however. (Total Annihilation, Nier, Ar Tonelico to name a few.)
  12. narles

narles New Member

Just wanted to throw my two cents in and say that I would really like custom soundtrack support. The main reason is because I would want to have the Total Annihilation Soundtrack going while playing. I'm sure whatever soundtrack PA has will be awesome but sometimes I think I would like to mix it up a little and enjoy some nostalgia.
  13. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

I never played TA, but this sounds awesome. I'd definitely like to mix up the tracks a little bit. I can imagine it now, classical music whenever a battle starts, dubstep when you launch from the planet :)
  14. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

One of the best uses of custom soundtrack support is in GTA4 with its custom radio channel. Great stuff.

Mainly, I'd like the ability to play them in-game because, well, I'm in game. Besides the fact that alt-tab generally sucks. And I definitely don't want to play in windowed mode.

A simple replacement scheme like TA would be fine. I'd like the ability to play an arbitrary number of songs out of a folder of my choosing, but that's probably asking too much. Allowing this to be mod controlled would be cool also. DJ mod, just for playing custom music. Could be cool, like the Fallout 3 station mods.
  15. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

16. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

Without doubt, I'll be firing up some total annihilation music or supcom music in place of PA's. Its kind of a nostalgic thing i do.
  17. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

I have my own personal game playlist; but I really like the soundtrack for PA so far (yeah, its only one song, but it is good and I like the style). So, at the very least those songs will end up on my playlist.
  18. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

Indeed, I like the theme I've heard so far, and I definitely will listen to it most of the time.

But, well, even I got tired of TA's music sometimes once I'd heard it for the thousandth time. And the ability to pop in another music cd to play was pretty dang cool for the time. I know I burned one or two custom cds just for TA. With the mp3 mod now though, switching out music is much easier. Wish I would've found it earlier.
  19. Caroz

Caroz New Member

I second this!, i would really like a clean way to just load the original TA music into this bad boy... i mean who wouldn't?
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

seriously, look at the old posts before performing a two-year necro.

it's seriously seriously seriously seriously waaaaaaaaay less roudabout to just open up media player, (or grooveshark, for me personally) and, in PA options lower music volume to 0.

How would the effect be any different if it was in the code? let me tell you: it wouldn't. and it would have been a waste of whoever took the time to mod it in's time.