I thought the Galactic War was already confirmed -_-

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by xephar, September 7, 2012.

1. xephar

xephar New Member

From http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/plane ... terview/2/ (Aug 15th)

2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I wasn't allowed to talk about anything that could be a stretch goal?
  3. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

[​IMG]

Just kidding!

I read it too as if it was already gooing to be included but now that i reread it I can see that was my own over-enthousiastic fault...
  4. xephar

xephar New Member

Obviously I thought wrong, this is just disappointing as it's the most exciting bit to me.

Well it's going to be close, but hopefully we reach $1.8mil right? ;)

Either way, I hope the stretch goals are things that you'd consider adding in anyway further down the road, whether it's via expansions, DLC or just patches.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

A bit disappointing, indeed. Multistellar systems seemed just natural and i don't see how that extra 300.000$ on that stretch goal could be justified. It's basically just having multiple solar systems instead of one which is not much of a difference to having one solar system, codewise. Plus a peak of 3-5 units which take care of interstellar transports.

I would understand if those battles spanned multiple servers, with every server only hosting a limited number of solar systems, that would indeed be an huge step to take. But definitely not when the "feature" is nothing more than making intelligent use of the existing engine and game mechanics.

And then putting the goal so high that it's not even sure if the goal is going to be reached at all...
  6. neutrino

Same question as the other thread. Which videogame projects have you produced? What qualifies you to make budget judgement calls here?

Just curious ;)
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Somehow I think many people get the idea that the GW will be a part of the realtime-part of the game.
    Which is wrong to my understanding. My understanding of the GW is more like playing a Risk on a galaxy-map and fighting out the single encounters in the classical RTS. Very nice for single and multiplayer. To implement that all is definitely gonna cost quite some money.
  8. neutrino

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Not to mention everyone seems to assume that stretch goal cost is the same as a budget for a feature. That's just a bad assumption.
  9. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Does this mean that interstellar transportation be limited to just commanders?
  10. exterminans

Sorry, my fault. I just realized now that Galactic War does NOT mean having a system with multiple, nearby stars (which should be possible with the basic engine ;) ), but more of a complete single / coop campaign which is actually meant to provide a long ongoing challenge with dozens to hundreds of skirmish battles and tons of scripted events, alien interactions etc. to provide an unique feeling to every mission / solar system. That is an huge goal indeed! And making that multiplayer capable makes things even worse...
    Last edited: September 7, 2012
  11. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I'm sure the money will be used. Doubtless $1.8 million will go further than $0.9 million, but I'm going to take an educated guess that it's still not a massive amount of money to develop a game of this scope.
  12. bravetriforcer

bravetriforcer New Member

Educated how?
  13. cola_colin

@ghargoil:
    I dont get the context of the question.
    Interstellar transports?
    I thought the game will be limited to a single solar system -that might be pretty big if you want-. So it will always be interplanetary transports. And transporting units usually has nothing to do with the GW anyway. Afaik at least.

I think Uber should make a post explaining the GW a bit more, since it seems that people who dont know about the concept from earlier games are a bit lost.

EDIT:
    And while I wrote this, exterminans understood the concept :) But there are still others out there, who suffer from the same misconceptions.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

When big AAA games cost tens of millions to produce, 2 Million is barely scratching the surface.

My guess is that by the time the KS is done we'll have between 10-25% of a "normal" budget.

Mike
  15. neutrino

Basically it's a whole other side game that's almost a separate effort. It's going to cost more than $300k btw.
  16. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

While obviously the main objective was to get the game made at all, when it comes to galactic war, I really do think this is a must have.

I didn't play much TA and to be honest i was a bit too much of a FPS junkie back in those days but i have played Dawn of War's conquest mode which i seriously enjoyed.

With regards to how i play supcom (a game that i play at least a few hours a month now on FAF) i'm mostly just playing solo games against the computer or co-op games. I'm not all that into competitive multiplayer just because i find competitive RTS to be very stressful and not what i want to do when i get home from work.

As much as i love playing against the AI and upping the odds each time against the AI. When i win (which you can normally see coming from a while away) it seems a little anti climatic. Having a galactic war would really remove allot of that anti climatic feeling. I would feel a sense of progression (without the duh duh duh de duh duh unlocks of COD).

I really do hope that we hit the GW stretchgoal but im just really worried that we won't. Financially i can't add any more money to my pledge anymore and it's a horrible feeling knowing that the fate of something that i was really looking forward to is in the hands of random other people :(

Yeah i did think this kind of SP was already included in the game when i read that PCG interview and was a big reason why i pledged. Now that i know it's a stretch goal that's just under $450000 away im really anxious that we wont quite hit it, even with the end stretch boost.

Maybe im being a little selfish in saying this but for the way i play these kind of games it really is hugely important to me.

And as for it being 300k more. Well that's to be expected. As has been mentioned above, allot more back end work would have to be done to implement this kind of thing. I've done a fair bit of games design at university a while ago and i really do know that experience is key when it comes down to production speed. Problem is that experience cost plenty of $$$
  17. asgo

asgo Member

would be nice if that will be the style they choose.
    Reminds me a bit of Battle for Middleearth 2, I think, where they had some boardgame style movement on a complete Middlearth map, and where you could fight out the encounters in a skirmish style (or stay at the board level and let the computer fight it out).
    was a nice addition there
  18. exterminans

Guessed so, you could easily spend 1-2 additional years on creating content for that game mode. I'm sorry if i offended you, i just got the concept completely wrong.

Besides, i actually did work on 3 smaller video games. Not the same scale, but i think i know how much effort is required to create something as a campaign, building the actual engine for that task is the smallest workshare by far.
  19. cola_colin

Thats just how Crowdfunding works, unless you are a filthy rich person.
    I am actually wondering why up until now not a single person with too much money has pledge a really insane amount, like 1000000$. There are so many rich people out there, but it seems they all dont care for kickstarter-projects this much.
    If I had a few million $ on my hand I would not mind to put one or two into the hands of Uber. Sadly I dont even have a few thousand $.
  20. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

Oh i understand that, and have funded projects in the past but this time i feels a tad worse because i was expecting this as a feature from the start.

With regards to very rich people not pledging as much. That's probably more down to the lack of rich gamers. I know they exist, but if i had loads of money i probably wouldn't be gaming as much either. Also if i had plenty of money and wanted to back this game i would probably come in from more of a private investor direction.