Name Planets after the backers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by snidoom, August 21, 2012.

1. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

This is a great idea, actually. Hell, I'd be willing to help sort through the names and make sure that they check out.
  2. acey195

acey195 Member

I approve!

this could in fact be even helpful for the team, not needing make a random name generator and such. There needs some system to filter out the "bad" names though, which also takes time. Maybe a nice job for the community/alpha/beta testers?

I assume most backers have no real intention to troll, but there will be border-line kinda names I guess :p
  3. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

I'm already a $100 level supporter, so I'd love to see "(my last name) Prime" as a planet name!
  4. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

Okay, well I admit, if this was done right, it could potentially be a cool thing. I'm just a bit worried about just how horribly wrong this could potentially go.

Realistically, if they do something like this, they are going to have to hire someone to deal with it. Just a basic 10$/hr employee to take the time necessary to screen all of the submissions for this. Potentially, they could likely even get free volunteers to do the bulk of the work but at the end of the day they're still going to need someone in house they know and trust to make the final call on this.

So it's not exactly a free feature, it's gonna take a fair number of man hours to sort through something like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah, I already covered all that too, as I said letting Alpha/Beta testers do the first screening should easily clear out most/all of the obvious ones(and a good portion of less obvious ones) making the rest of the approval much easier. Should there be a troll or two in that first screening it shouldn't matter too much because all the others will still significantly reduce the workload for Uber.

And don't forget your already assuming a huge amount of "Troll" names to begin with, between the Kickstarter Vibe of helping the Studio and the fact each person can only submit 1 name I'd doubt there would be a lot of the "Troll" names to even begin with.

Mike
  6. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

Exactly. Making the donation level a reasonably high amount to cut down on the total number of names would probably assure that the person would be serious enough about wanting their name in the game to go with something real.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Called it.

BM, Get me my Prophet hat!

Mike
  8. sevenniner

sevenniner New Member

I so hope David Bowie is a backer.
  9. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I'm really tempted to shell out that extra $50.

First minis, now planet Arseface. It's like they want my money.