Android Kickstarter tracker widget

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by rovgo, September 4, 2012.

1. rovgo

rovgo New Member

Hi all,

Because I got pretty addicted to pressing F5 on the Kickstarter page, I made this basic widget for my android home screen which shows a Kickstarter project’s backer count, amount pledged and remaining time. I put it on the Google Play Store for free (no ads or anything like that either).
    Widget can be found here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rterwidget

I thought some of you might like this as a way to follow the project funding progression. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated :)

Grtz
    martinhammer likes this.
  2. Spooky

Spooky Member

Hm, how often does the widget update itself? Or does it only update when you click the icon in the upper left corner?
  3. rovgo

rovgo New Member

It updates automatically every 30 minutes now. A 1 minute interval would of course be ideal, but this would drain the battery :(

If this is a wanted feature I could make the update interval configurable though.
  4. Spooky

Spooky Member

Would be cool, but I think 30 minutes is fine for its purpose. Also, I think it would make sense, if the widget opened the kickstarter page, when you "click" on it :).
  5. rovgo

rovgo New Member

Yes indeed, this is actually something that is practically finished. I just have to find some time to push the update to the Play Store :)
  6. thedbp

thedbp Member

awesome app, but I would love a setting allowing 5 mins instead of 30.
  7. rovgo

rovgo New Member

It looks like more people want this, so I'll make it a feature for the next version :) Thanks for checking it out!
  8. corhen

corhen Member

"i liked this game, so i made a widget" NICE!
  9. al3xtec

al3xtec Member

Impressive, Most impressive!
  10. rovgo

rovgo New Member

Thanks!

@corhen: Haha, well I did back quite a few other Kickstarters already (some of them still going on now) but this is certainly by far the one that got me the most excited ;) Hope they will still blast through some of those stretch goals!
  11. rovgo

rovgo New Member

Just pushed an update with two new features requested here:

- 'Clicking' the widget opens the Kickstarter project page.
    - The refresh interval is now configurable when adding the widget. Can go as low as 1 minute if anyone would want this.

Hope you all like it :)
  12. Spooky

Spooky Member

Btw. one other suggestion: if at the time it updates no internet connection is available, it doesn't show anything. Imho it should simply display the last known values :)
  13. thedbp

thedbp Member

this

just keep a variable like "lastknown int"
  14. rovgo

rovgo New Member

Noted, thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'll combine this with a time indication of the last successful update, as well as some kind of subtle indicator that shows the user when the last refresh failed (instead of the error message that is there now replacing the stats).

It might take a while till I have time to work on it again though, so don't expect it too soon ;)
  15. martinhammer

martinhammer New Member

I have been using your great widget for a long time, but as I reinstalled my phone I discovered that it has been removed from the Play Store :(

Fortunately I did find an .apk site where I could download it.

As you seem to have stopped the development it would be very kind of you if you would share the source code so others (myself included) could improve the Widget and repost it on the Play Store.