Regarding unit 'voices'

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by burlayz, September 3, 2012.

1. icefire909

icefire909 Member

I say go with the TA style

and add in +sing so we get HONK!
    Skirmisher likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I would think that you're talking about my post, except that I never said it doesn't need character. You should do the proper research next time instead of making false claims.

Mike
  3. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

Right, what I meant is you said units don't need character, not the game. And I disagree unless what you mean is merely that units don't need voices. In which case we both need to work on getting our point across... :geek:
  4. comham

comham Active Member

That's really interesting. Thanks for the blog link!
  5. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

This was discussed in another thread, and whilst what you say is true for multiplayer, it's not for single player. I fired up vanilla Supcom to check, and even though in campaign mode the units are selected instantly, it doesn't feel like it due to the noises.
  6. Recon

Recon Member

For the record, I absolutely hate voiced unit responses in RTS games. Like in Sins of a Solar Empire, I can't stand listening to the same silly replies to my clicks over and over again. Even if you give each unit type 3 possible voices, it gets insanely repetitive and irritating, because you know darn well the pilots wouldn't talk like that repeatedly. And there's no real way to make it sound like anything other than a kid's cartoon either. If you stray from simple "Yes sir!" you get snide or cocky comments like "You pick 'em I'll stick 'em" Oh come on... Please please no voice acting.
  7. Avaruusmurkku

Avaruusmurkku New Member

How about a small option in the options "Enable unit VA"?

I personally would like them to have some sort of voice acting. Quick and energetic for small troops and low and slow for big ones.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No, you need to work on reading more than the first sentence of people's posts. Here is my post again;

]
    Remember we are talking about AI commanders building AI robots to destroy other AI robots and AI commanders, this isn't some feel good story of a young adult being drafted, sent to war only to learn the true meaning of life and becoming a pacifist, PA is about war, combat and Extermination.

In the end, even warmachines can have character, it's just that the warmachine's character is being a warmachine.

Mike
  9. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

That is fascinating, thanks for the insight.
  10. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

1 Robots
    2 Budget
    3 ???
    4 Profit
  11. PKC

PKC New Member

Loved the lack of voices in supcom. They become old reall, really quickly.
  12. Illithar

Illithar New Member

If the units in the game do end up having any sort of auditory response, be it beeps, synthesized voices, or mechanical sounds, having the option to turn them on/off wouldn't be much of a stretch.
  13. chirmaya

chirmaya Member

The unit voices should be cat meows and roars.

You know. For storyline purposes.

Unless for some reason there isn't a cat in each robot. Now that's a strange thought.
  14. sullenone

sullenone New Member

While our benevolent cat overlords will one day fulfill their destiny of enlightening and destroying the universe, I don't think this information is appropriate for the masses just yet.

In my opinion the unit voices aren't a big issue, but I would like them to be there. I don't think they need to be anything fancy, just have something that allows me to distinguish units by their voice. On a similar subject it would be nice to have announcements like line homeworld 2. Once again nothing fancy, just a calm voice informing you of current events.
  15. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Just have every commander be a Jackbot and we're all good.

I don't mean just voice. And up the ground slam so that it destroys moons when it uses it.
  16. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I want no other voices than John Patrick Lowries' voice as an in-game announcer.
  17. flnordin

flnordin New Member

i like this c&c always had catchy one liners

big tank - "size matters"
    aircraft - "air superiority"
    X unit - "MUHAHAhahahaha"
    stuff like that
    or just beep boop bap transformer sounds
  18. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

i think that it should be mechanical sounds, but a different sound byte for each unit.
    EXAMPLE: pyro would have a lighter click, and some flame sounds.
  19. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I always found actually speaking of units was very annoying and kind of unrealistic.
  20. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

you mean like the way the GLA workers are always complaining in c & c generals? because i would agree if thats what you mean.

P.S.: i think this thread is starting to repeat itself.