Dyson spheres - a Paragon 2.0?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TheLambaster, September 2, 2012.

?

How do you like the idea?

1. I like the idea and think it might suit the gameplay.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. I like the idea but gameplay wise it's impracticable, I guess.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I don't like the idea and think it's gameplay wise impracticable.

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. I don't like the idea, even though it might suit the gameplay.

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

Hey, without knowing anything about how the eco-system might work in PA, I had an idea for a power facility similar to the Paragon in Supcom FA - Dyson spheres. Like the Paragon it might take huge amounts of resources and lots of time to construct, but when operational generating infinite amounts of power. But there is a problem, of course the only real source of light on the "map" would be gone, once the sun (supposed there is only a single sun in the respective solar system) has been encapsulated by the Dyson sphere...

Just an idea... What are your thoughts in response?

(added a poll, doesn't do harm and is useful in most of the cases)
  2. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Why would this only generate resources upon completion? A giant solar collector would make more sense built in segments. So you could have the option to send some satellites to the sun until it is blocked out.

I don't like the sound of sun-based infrastructure though because unless you make it a whole orbital battle domain it has little interaction with the rest of the system. Planet based super projects are more interesting because they can be attacked and defended.
  3. linecircle

linecircle Member

re: stars as an orbital battle domain

I also don't like it based on my feeling that the added gameplay isn't worth the development cost. It could make for a nice mod, though.
  4. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Maybe a star is just a fusioning gas giant of unusual size.
  5. TheLambaster

What is your intention behind this assertion?
  6. linecircle

linecircle Member

Are you suggesting the units they're going to develop for gas giants are going to make sense being built on a gas giant of immense gravity and radiation?... Apart from the craziness lore-wise, gameplay-wise I don't really object...
  7. comradebritish

comradebritish New Member

The Dyson Sphere is a interesting concept to have in PA. In my head it would be an endgame sort of structure, like a fully operational Metal Planet. Although, consturcting a Dyson Sphere would probably be the longest, most resource consuming thing in the game. It would probably take a huge alliance of players to complete the project within a reasonable time, even then they'd be bankrupt by the end of it.
  8. TheLambaster

Hm, do you think of like a game ender? Like a t4 arty or something? First and foremost a Dyson Spheres is a gigantic solar thermal collector/ solar plant... Of course you could then build facilities on it like huge lasers (death star)... but that doesn’t accord to the core-concept.

Edit: I had an idea how to realize Dyson spheres:

You could have a certain facility (maybe has to be built on a moon?) that continuously launches solar thermal collector satellites that then step by step form a Dyson bubble...
  9. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

I think a Dyson sphere would work better as a map feature then a buildable object. On the other hand, inducing fusion in a gas giant with tons of solar orbitals around it seems like that would be easier.