Planet debris

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sharpy34, September 2, 2012.

1. sharpy34

sharpy34 New Member

Would destroying a planet have adverse affects for everyone other than less resources and less land to fight over? If you have a moon base and an asteroid that you then send to a planet, could the debris from that planet rain down onto other planets or moons in a sort of meteor shower? I think that would be pretty cool meaning that destroying a planet can affect an entire map and your other bases. On water planets the debris could cause minor tsunamis, stuff like that. What do you guys think about this idea?
  2. archer6110

archer6110 Member

I bet this relies heavily on the final orbital mechanics, but I believe it would be quite acceptable that if a planet goes boom and shatters, that any orbital bodies along it's course could be hit by excess debris.

Though honestly I don't see the planets "shattering" that much, even if it's hit by and asteroid gravity keeps most the pieces relatively contained. It's believed our moon formed when earth was slammed into by a mars size rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon#Legal_status) and although there was most likely debris thrown out from that explosion aside from the moon, you can see that it's still in our orbit (course this is just 1 theory)

What likely happens when 2 orbital bodies collide IRL is they mostly fuse together and simply become bigger. Fairly little debris is thrown out, and gravity keeps everything mostly round and contained. I'd like to see some asteroids popping out in random directions but most likely it'll just super-heat the atmosphere and kill everything within the effected area.

Alderaan like explosions would definately look cool though ;)
  3. comradebritish

comradebritish New Member

Well, it would have a very aderse effect on he moon in it's orbit, certainly. If the planet was entirely destroyed, as in, entirely broken up I'm pretty sure the moon would drift off or in a worse case get caught by the sun/another planet nearby. Maybe that other planet is an enemy base. I'm not much of an expert on planetary destruction... yet.
  4. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I don't know if this exactly fits in this topic, but I'd like to see orbital debris (e.g., from enough destroyed orbital stuff) affect spaceships, transit, and potentially weapons passing through orbit.