So does metal planets mean we have death stars?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedeserttiger, September 1, 2012.

1. gavo88

gavo88 New Member

Metal planets alone would have been enough TA nostalgia for me, but death moons really ups the awesome.

How about a beast planet or a mega transforming planet like Unicron. The death star wasnt the only giant planet of doom http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=5&q ... n#/d5d5nh0
  2. thedeserttiger

thedeserttiger New Member

Sadly i cant crush a super stardestoryer into it
  3. thedeserttiger

lol beast planet
  4. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member

I like these ideas but sadly we probably won't get any word from Uber if this is in their plans until that stretch goal gets nearer to completion.
  5. al3xtec

al3xtec Member

I hate this control points idea... have you played company of heroes..this is completely different.
  6. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Normally I would agree, but I don't have a problem if it as an adjunct to the main game, and not the whole thing like Relic's recent RTS's.
  7. hebdomad

hebdomad New Member

On the topic of metal planets. There should be no reason why we could not have giant cube planets (Borg cube anyone?), hexagonal, ring shaped or even cylindrical. There's no reason why it has to be spherical. It would also make metal planet more unique to fight on.

Another note, why not have metal asteroids? Wreckage from forgotten space platforms would make wonderful planet killing ammo... or something for an army to ride on.

On the topic of control points, I would agree it's justified for metal planets considering their potential to be a giant weapon of doom. Such a powerful weapon would need to be vulnerable to small units landing on it's surface and taking out it's power source.

It would not work company of heroes style though. Consider it like building and protecting four building on the surface. losing one would mean losing control of the super weapon.
  8. thapear

thapear Member

And how would you propose gravity works on a square planet? Not only would units near the edges be walking on the ground with gravity at a 45 degree angle, they would also have to traverse a 90 degree corner somehow.
    Even if you ignored the obvious gravity issue, there would still be the issue of corners to traverse. This rules out cubes, hexagons and cylinders.

On control points:
    It would also be possible to just have an X number of engineers interface with certain interfaces placed at an X number of locations. Engineers are usually quite vulnerable, forcing you to defend them and allowing the opponents to kill them with a small force.
  9. thedeserttiger

Also the reason palents are spherical is because of gravity so if you have gravity in this game it only makes sense for planets to be spherical.
  10. mrwonko

mrwonko Member

Nice idea! And what about more complex shapes, not just primitives? I've got Supreme Commander 2 or Demigod in mind - Take this, for example. Of course, non-primitives are harder to procedurally generate, but maybe they could be hand modelled? I'd love that, it'd open up many options for modders, but it doesn't quite fit the procedural scope... Still, I like it. Let us model our own planet-ish things with custom gravity. Would also allow Halo fans to mod ringworlds.
  11. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Maybe small asteroid sized cube planets would work. Where there is little to no gravity so units use magnets so they dont fly away :).
  12. thapear

thapear Member

This looks more like something that would be found ON planets, not the shape of a planet itself...
  13. mrwonko

mrwonko Member

Well, it's interesting for smaller games anyway - I don't always want daylong games across whole star systems, sometimes I just want a small, quick game. I can see myself building some "normal" maps on a single planet, too.
  14. thapear

thapear Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. You were implying whole planets to be shaped awkwardly.
  15. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I would like to see a cube as a planet. You have six flat maps on one planet.
  16. comham

comham Active Member

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been a single minecraft clone using that idea.
  17. veta

veta Active Member

there are MC mods that change the center of gravity and let u make mario galaxy style planets