Please allow for simcity!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by leewang, September 1, 2012.

1. leewang

leewang New Member

by making buildings stick together like in TA and SC1/2.

In supcom buildings don't stick together, most units can slip through; it means careful planning of your buildings is less important, and you end up just spamming them.

I want to be able to block of passageways with buildings!
  2. rathik

rathik New Member

NOOOOO!!!!!
  3. allot

allot Member

I would say it should be dependable on the building. But having buildings take up more space than they actually need just so things can walk in between them seem not so good IMO.
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

only walls should block armies. I could imagine instead of only small t1 walls, that there could also be bigger walls in PA.
  5. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

I don't want cities looking like some Soviet fever dream.

TA allowed things to be placed more organically rather than in rigid grids like SC tended towards.

See also the Zero K system where selecting a building from the build menu, holding shift, and dragging a line (in any direction) queues a line of buildings of that type. The spacing between buildings can be adjusted by pressing x or z to increase/decrease space.
  6. rick104547

rick104547 Member

The title doesnt really fit the actual topic

As for being able to make a wall with buildings why not? I hated buildings took more space than they actualy needed just so units can move through them.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It's even worse when your units can't move trough your base since you have block all the passages. It would work if we had PERFECT path finding (pefect path finding only exists for single units, path finding for large groups is a very difficult and error prone task!), but we don't have. Larger armies would get stuck in your base all the time so you would be again forced to leave gaps everywhere, just like the gaps the SupCom system adds per default.
  8. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I think its pretty much your own fault if you clogged up your base so bad that your units cant move anymore. Also sometimes i want to block stuff.
  9. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

PA isn't TA, especially not in terms on unit limit. You can't expect the mechanisms of TA to work in a larger scale game. If it would have worked, they would have used blocking buildings in SupCom too, but it didn't. Path finding WILL fail if you try to route large groups of ground units through limited space and there is nothing you could do about that.

You want to block? Use walls, thats their purpose.
  10. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

Myself, a competent (usually) human player, can plan out a logical base in TA, since I know units needed to get out.

The AI on the other hand, had a terrible time trying to get out of their base. They'd build in grids, but units would clog the paths and eventually it just became a massive firework display for my Big Bertha.

SupCom solved this issue by allowing units to pass between buildings.

Personally, I enjoyed the blocking in TA more, but if the AI needs the open paths, I wouldn't mind them changing it.
  11. rab777

rab777 New Member

12. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

13. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I dont see a reason for a magical increase in size for buildings just so units can move between them. If i place 2 buildings next to each other then i dont want to have space between them. Makes for more compact bases and harder to raid. Like surounding a metal extractor with other buildings so its harder to raid the metal extractor.

Walls have a different purpose. They block for a cheap cost and with high hp.
  14. johnnyhuman

johnnyhuman New Member

That's what walls are for, actually. Let's have buildings be buildings, and walls be walls.

:)
  15. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

If you want to block units, use Dragon's Teeth.
  16. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I don't really now what to think. In TA I like building my base carefully to block ennemies.
    But the pathfinding was so bad that it was most of the time it was really frustrating.

I think Uber should test both solution and see how it come.
  17. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

This all depends on two things.

Pathfinding, and AI

If these things are good, by all means, allow structures to block. If not, this is one of those compromises you just have to accept because having an ineffective AI would be a lot worse to me than not being able to sim city as I like.
  18. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

What is it about walls that will not break bad pathfinding? I prefer buildings that block because it gives placement more importance. You get to choose where the paths through your base are and if you want to sacrifice the safety of some buildings to protect more valuable ones.
  19. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

If there are walls and/or dragon's teeth then I see no reason why buildings should not be able to be built close together as to block paths.
  20. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member