So does metal planets mean we have death stars?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedeserttiger, September 1, 2012.

1. thedeserttiger

thedeserttiger New Member

with metal planets added and how it says you can "repair" them does that mean we now have deathstars in the game?
  2. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

Be careful what you call them.

These arn't the droids you are looking for.

George Lucas: SUE EM!!!!
    Last edited: September 1, 2012
  3. thedeserttiger

thedeserttiger New Member

station of death? will that do
  4. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

If that is no hint, then I dont know! :lol:

However, this makes it pretty clear:
    So, yes motherfucking death stars in Planetary Annihilation, I start to ask myself if you can die from an overdose of awesome.
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I hope these death stars function primarily as metal maps and only secondarily as superweapons. Fighting other players on the death star sounds more fun than beating them and actually using the death star to blow up a planet.
  6. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Just an idea:

What if, to promote conflict, the death star came with 3 control points that needed to be controlled in order to fire the super weapon?

Also, I think players should get the choice between salvaging and repairing the metal planets.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I like it!

(writes this idea down for potential metagame uses in the future)

Might be better to make it 4, because you can separate that many evenly over a sphere. Three is a bit iffy because they become co-planar - so fighting would be concentrated around the equator (which might not be a bad thing in itself either).
  8. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

How about a death star begins the game with an "integrity" value that is about 90% of that required to fire. You would have to invest millions of metal and energy in order to repair the remaining 10%. Or, you can mine from the surface, dealing damage to this integrity value, but giving you metal. Mining from the surface yields exactly as much metal as it will cost to repair that much mined, however you will also have to spend energy to make repairs.

On the death star, there will be many (considerably more than 3 or 4) control points. The player constructs control nodes on these points, which can be set either to repair the death star, or to harvest from it. In order to fire, the death star must be at condition 100%, and you must control all of the control nodes.
  9. dictas

dictas New Member

To me it sounds like moving asteroids around (both as staging platforms AND k.e.w.s) would be extremely costly, in terms of energy.
    I like the idea of the battle stations featuring multiple control points needed to use it. I was thinking that it might require a key of some kind (à la Halo) that could be found elsewhere and taken to the control center. Or there could be a combination. I like it all.
  10. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Control point(s) will work, but I'd like to see some resources invested in it too.
    So rather than a simple 'capture' system, how about you have to perform expensive repairs on, or build, a structure to get it up and running?
  11. wolfox007

wolfox007 New Member

Control points are brilliant idea! Also, those planets could be found half-constructed, needing some invesments and time in order to fix it into functional state, or salvage, providing the best resouce source. However, these things would make them the primary target of every battle, which is always good to have strategic option to atack/keep/salvage/destroy... sounds like a tons of fun!
  12. allot

allot Member

I think there should be buildings that works as control points. They each control a process on the planet. There might even be more than 4 because not all control buildings aren't linked to the superweapon. for example. A station that engages a planetary shield. One that controls the planets defence systems (like cannons and such). then there should be about 4 buildings that each control a part of the process linked to the death weapon.
    So when you have captured and repaired one of these buildings you control its function on the planet. One station controls the aiming system for the superweapon. Another controls the power that is funnelled into the cannon. This station controls if you want to power up the weapon. The more power it generates the more powerful shot but if too much power is generated it is overheated and explodes taking the planet with it in a huuuge explosion.
    The 3rd station controls the cooling system. It makes the chances of an overheat less likely and it improves the function of all other stations if its online. The last station is the "big red button" the one that fires the station by draining all the power funnelled into it. (if cooling station is active there is a shorter period between pressing the button and the shot to be fired.) If a station is heavily damaged the control systems doesn't work and the station keep doing what its doing. (like you may destroy the launch station on an enemy "metal planet" and then damage the reactor. Not it will generate energy until it goes boom)

I think something like this would be awsome. It might create interesting political situation. Where 2 players controlling half of the planet each choose to use the weapon to defeat an common enemy. ( but be careful your ally maby doesn't fire the shot and then the core might overload.)

Some short notes of an example. Imo this would be awsome. Note that its the general idea that I want to bring forth. So the details are more for example.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I think it's too convoluted to be fun.

Also, it's probably wise to consider that these will probably see more relevance in many-player games.
  14. allot

allot Member

I think it wouldn't be too much as each station controls one simple specific task. The difference is instead of controlling 4 control points that are useless on their own (except for salvage) it brings some personality to the points. Now you need to push 3 buttons to fire instead of one. Not much more difficult in my opinion. Otherwise it feels like the planet is just "another control the points" like map.
  15. comham

comham Active Member

Oh man, death stars. Yes. YES. I hope we get to see one in a video.
  16. thedbp

thedbp Member

17. ineluki

ineluki New Member

Your enemy has a deathstar? Kill it with asteroids! :shock:
  18. rick104547

rick104547 Member

ACTIVATE THE PLANETARY DEFENCE SHIELD!!!
  19. comradebritish

comradebritish New Member

I like the idea of different control points on the planet, but turning it into a super-weapon seems meh to me personally. Maybe the points could be advanced production/assembly lines for "Ancient" units, advanced fusion reactors providing tons of energy for your forces to use. If the metal planet is to become some all powerful planet destroyer then it should take more time and commitment to just "Go take these points". This would be an endgame weapon in my opinion, players could reap it of it's resources to slow down anothers progress in it's reconstruction, or go through a long process of causing the station to be destroyed.

Maybe you've just about finished your new super battle-station, but from the far reaches comes a huge enemy force, next thing you know, the enemy is over running your positions on the planetoid. Hit a switch and let the countdown bubble to the violent implosion of the stations core? Or risk the enemy holding the most powerful weapon in the game while you prepare your counter attack?
  20. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

sounds like that may be what they're doing. Death stars, or at least something fairly powerful.

I imagine these will end up being the centerpiece of maps. King of the hill maps as it were, only the hill, gets up and starts stomping people if anyone truly wins it.