Discussing Custom Commanders and backer recognition.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zidonuke, August 28, 2012.

1. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Re: Pledged 1k to this! :D

Sounds reasonable. A good example would be the League of Legends (MOBA game) skin system. Except for the size. Works, everyone who pays for a skin of is champions gets a costum (but not unique) design, in some case effects sounds and animations.
  2. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

35 People in the 1k+ category. Woot!
  3. corhen

corhen Member

need to find some people to chip in and get a steampunk commander... brass boiler strapped to back, clouds of smoke pouring from its head? yes please!
  4. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I wouldn't so much have a problem if other people end up want to use my custom commander, just so that someplace somewhere I can get credit for having put down the dough and consigned its creation. Like a gallery or hall of fame or something.

I can't model worth junk...at least not outside Solidworks or CATIA...but I sure have some cool ideas as to what to do with my inspiration mecha. :D
  5. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

Like I said before, give us a special icon ingame and in the social game features, and pre game lobbies showing the contribution, then when using the commander itself, show the name of the user in the UI and above it?
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe when they get to the PA section of the credits there can be pics of the Custom Commanders and the names of the backers to go along with them?

Mike
  7. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

Oh my I got a crazy idea, can we get like a special 15-20 second music theme that plays when we land in the battle! :p
  8. wark0

wark0 New Member

I don't want to become an attention whore just because i've pledged 1K... unique commander is far enough.

If you want to show to everyone that you give 1K to PA for whatever reason and if this topic and your signature is not enough for that, just put it in your username or something like that but please don't ask for some features that will waste some dev time.
  9. mrwonko

mrwonko Member

Sounds good to me. How about we just mod that? We've got 1 year, let's do this! Someone draw some nice concept art and I might be able to model something, I just can't think of stuff myself.
  10. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

76k worth of pledges is in 1k+ Even more considering people can pledge above that number. Thats almost 10% of the funding to the project.

which could afford a single person's salary for the year.

Anyways, just talking ideas, doesn't mean they have to do it.
  11. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

I don't know of a way to do something special like this that wouldn't also then allow for game-breaking changes to also be forced to the server by a hacked client. If we want the game to work 100% offline, then all the code and information has to be there, and perhaps we just have a "CD key" we put into our client to "unlock" our commander.

This would of course mean that if anyone had the key they could also get access to the same model, but I don't know of a way to "regulate" access without then breaking the game working offline 100%.

I like the way that Minecraft does it, but even they have a service that you log into.

So I think that even if it was just a line in the credits instead of a lot of fanfare, that would be sufficient for me.
  12. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

I loved this topic, because its hard to say how things will turn out in the end I pulled my funding down to the 100$ tier. It's hard to say what really happens or not, no real guarantees and everything can play out much different than I expect. And with that I find it hard to part with 1,000$ on that risk than just the 100$.
  13. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Too bad but I know what you mean. Maybe I'm gonna compensate it a bit by raising my fund from $100 to $250
  14. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

It was kinda the thing where someone is expecting and more or less demanding compensation for something thats really at heart, a donation. So yeah :/ Had the feelings in the wrong place about this.
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yeah I think this is a cool idea. Preferably with any reference info they sent us too.
  16. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

That would be really great. This also fulfils my wish i had several days ago (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35161&start=0) ;)

so pleeeeease...
  17. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

Re: Pledged 1k to this! :D - Edit: Pulled funding now

gooby pls
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You guys really know how to please a fanboy! xD

Mike
  19. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

So with the details on the various commander visuals, How can we make custom commanders look 10x more epic than the Alpha Commander?

Concept Video
    [​IMG]

Progenator
    [​IMG]

Alpha
    [​IMG]
  20. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

Does that mean that I wouldn't have to feel guilty/fear repercussions if I wrote such a hack?