Complex units with independently moving parts

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by quintesse, August 29, 2012.

1. quintesse

quintesse New Member

If there was one thing I loved about TA it was the fact that many of the larger constructs had independently moving parts, like the anti aircraft gun coming up out of a hatch on large naval ships. I could just stare at all those little details (and get my *** kicked of course).
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

uhhhhh...........I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say.

Mike
  3. bibbly

bibbly New Member

I think you're talking about detail in deisgn, animated buildings, intricate weaponary - firing mechanism animations, shells, etc. ?

The more the better. : :ugeek:
  4. acey195

acey195 Member

I think he just means units with multiple turrets ;), which I would be surprised if it were not included, for say battleships.
  5. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I doubt very much that after two series with detailed animations that they would abandon it for no reason. If the trailer is any indication, there's nothing to worry about.
  6. quintesse

quintesse New Member

Yes, I was indeed talking about things like turrets on battle ships. But they we're extremely cool in that they could be hidden until an airplane would come close and then you'd see a hatch open up, the gun come out and start shooting at the airplane and all this time the ship would just continue what it was doing all along. In most RTSes a unit does just one thing and that's it.
  7. JWest

JWest Active Member

There was a lot of detail in SupCom, but most people were zooming around the map too much to notice. In TA you had a fixed view point, so you had time to look at these things.
  8. heatsurge

heatsurge New Member

If you are a competitive player, you'll only play at the most zoomed-out level that you can handle, unless you're microing a battle intensely and have to watch health bars up close.

Those details are indeed a lot of fun, but they're only going to be watched on replays or by observers. It's critical that they get the strategic icon gameplay and "health" indicators visible from the furthest distance possible IMO. Supcom2 really did a great job with the strategic icon indicators readability, but didn't display unit health from far away.