Orbital Shields?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brettc208, August 30, 2012.

1. brettc208

brettc208 New Member

I have been looking and everyone is excited about orbital bombardment. Now I would love to blow the crap out of some poor guy’s base from orbit but if you lose the space race how are you going to defend yourself. The video shows missiles shooting down the asteroid but what about the artillery? Well I think they should put in an orbital shield. It uses ground facilities that you build around your base to protect from things in orbit. I don’t think it should protect from everything like asteroid but from smaller less devastating things. It would not stop aircraft or ground units but if the shield went down rain in the pain. That's why you have ground units. What do you guys think? Add or take away?
  2. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

It seems shields will [sadly] not be present in the base game.

That said, I'm sure modders (and, that would include me) would definitely be interested in doing stuff like that.
  3. Nullberri

Nullberri New Member

You could have say, anti missile systems like in SupCom which are capable of shooting down planet bound missiles within a radius.

Then simply don't provide orbital artillery, leave that for the moons where they can build a really stable long range cannon.
  4. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

You say sadly, I say luckily. All opinion.
  5. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I've heard bad things about how it was done in SupCom, but I never played enough SupCom to know how it was done there (though it looked cool). There were some limited shields in TA, but I think they were typically unit-based and through mods.
  6. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Mods only. Actually, I think they might have only been added after SupCom was created too. Never liked them.