Include VOIP!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by galaxy366, August 29, 2012.

1. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

I would love to have In-game voice chat ^^.

You will have 2 options:

1. Global voice chat
    2. Team only voice chat

It would be so freaking funny of you send a asteroid toward you enemy and suddenly over the VOIP hes going like: OH NO O **** ARGH!! ''explosion''
  2. Spooky

Spooky Member

Yes please!

And inb4 the "lulz, u don need, learn 2 use teemspeek, k" people :Þ
  3. molloy

molloy Member

I was just about to make this topic. I used to use whatever that voice comm program was in the 90's when playing TA and it was fantastic fun. They had voice comms on the chat rooms in MPlayer as well. I had some great conversations with people on the other side of the world with that. Really handy for allied players as well you can talk through what you're doing and not have to type.

Of course if you have to use Teamspeak it never takes off and nobody uses it because it's another step of fiddling before you start a match. Built into the game is so much more effective.
  4. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Do we really need in-game VoIP? Aren't there enough VoIP services/programs that people already use? (Steam, TeamSpeak, Mumble, Ventrillo, Skype...)
  5. molloy

molloy Member

Well it'd be handy if you could chat to your allies without having to exchange IP's beforehand. Using external programs isn't a lot of hassle but it's enough hassle that 99% of PC players will never bother installing and using them. Meanwhile in HL mods (for instance) loads of people use voice because it's built into steam.
  6. Spooky

Spooky Member

Only in organized play. How do you expect to talk to random people you play over the internet with every single day? I suppose your answer will be (as it is always with people who ask that very question): you don't want to talk to them. Well, that's fine for you then ;).
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Just make sure that per default it is turned off.
    Cause it is damn annoying when some random people start to talking in a language I dont even understand.
  8. nuggedee

nuggedee New Member

No, it should be enabled by default. If you don't like it, disable it. Don't hinder newer players from teamplay because of your dislike of in-game VOIP and other languages.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

per default voip reminds me of some shooter I once played and voip was enabled by default.
    some russians talked alot -louder than my music-, I didnt understand a word and I was so noobish that I didnt find the option to disable it.

Also I dont want it to be enabled for the reversed reason:
    I dont like the idea that maybe my own micro will be enabled without me even knowing it.

...yeah I know I am so crazy about this game that in this case I will probably find the options for it, but some other people might run into the problems I described.

So at least ask the user at the first start of the game: Do you want to enable voip or not?

EDIT:
    also making a really good voip-client takes alot of effort that the developers should spent on more important things.
  10. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Does anyone know how Steam games integrate the Steam voice chat into their games? Is there an API that you call from your own interface?
  11. zordon

zordon Member

External chat is fine. If someone can't work out a server address they're not gonna work out push to talk.
  12. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

VOIP shouldn't be hard.

Example:
    Press left alt to speak or if you want enable ''constant voip'' in the option menu for those who hate to press buttons to speak.
  13. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

Custom implementation of VOIP? Not worth the development effort.
    If they use some existing API and integrate it? Sure why not.
  14. dmii

dmii Member

Default should be off, because there are too many people who get pissed off and blame their partner when they lose, which definately is not leading to better templay and rather scares newer players away.
  15. zidonuke

zidonuke Member

have VOIP controlled by the server/game lobby. Force enabled or disabled. ANd before you join a game you see its status. Of course you can always mute people in the game easy with viewing a player list and clicking mute.
  16. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Don't mind if it is enabled by default, but please make the "voice activation" option impossible to find. I hate nothing more then ingame voicechat when some idiot forgets to unplug his mic when watching TV or listening to music.
  17. wizzzzard

wizzzzard New Member

How about an integrated ts3 client?
  18. rechar

rechar New Member

Obviously VOIP is good to have, in some games i'd say essential (heavy and hectic team focused games like BF3 etc), for an RTS though it tends to be a far ways down the list and it's something the Dev's could add...but it's over all contribution to the quality of the game would be pretty low.

Would i like it, yes.

Do i need it, no.

Budgets people!
  19. Spooky

Spooky Member

No, it should have the option to be turned off by default. It should not be turned off by default in general. That would defeat the whole purpose.

Yes, I believe through the SteamWorks API. But using that would limit the game to Steam alone and I don't think they have made that commitment yet, especially considering the release on multiple platforms as well.

That's not the issue. Not everyone will have the same voice chat solution installed and no one will go through the hassle of setting it up with random people in all those public games you play every day.
  20. wizzything

wizzything New Member

This is not exactly public knowledge but the TeamSpeak-Team developed a completely FREE interface that allows you to control the TS3 client directly from within the game, afaik the only thing you need to do is show a TS3 Logo at some places and obviously, the player needs TS3 installed, but that's a small downside for a fully integrated VOIP solution.

Link to demo video: http://my.brainshark.com/TeamSpeak-Clie ... -119326870
    (it does not show off any technical aspects, but you are might be interested anyway)