Some ideas about commands.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by qwerty3w, August 22, 2012.

1. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

Just my few words, as the author of auto retreat I feel obligated to rationalize the idea. Rationale: this game is not supposed to be about the micromanagement. I want to be able to fight even a number of enemies in an efficient way. I want to be able to give all my attention to the moonbase, while the planetary base behaves in a way that I can leave it unattended for a time being. And this command seems far more useful than the standars [Order 50 units]--2 minutes-->[Send units to die].
  2. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

Which auto retreat? CarRepairer's?
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

One right-click to issue a move command is not micromanagement.
  4. 0ritfx

0ritfx Member

Look at the concept video. Amagine retreating units etc. on a few moons.
    Besides: TA had this option too. If an airplane was patrolling an area, it has always tried to return to the repair pad as soon as it has sustained a certain amount number of damage.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

paint target from supcom 2 is needed. This was one of the few good changes due to console ports :p

also firing priorities for unit types would be cool (do you want your anti air to shoot bombers, gunships or fighters first?)
  6. luckywaldo7

luckywaldo7 New Member

That's exactly what micromanagement is. You are giving a particular unit or units a specific, low-level command. What makes something micromanagement is completely unrelated to the number or speed of mouse clicks or keyboard presses.

Micromanagement isn't inherently bad. But ideally the developers can identify what micro makes a game fun and what makes it frustrating. (I.E. If you really want to have fun playing starcraft you almost need to make it your second job.)