Drill Bomb Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedrofevil, August 26, 2012.

1. thedrofevil

thedrofevil New Member

This game has opened up many opportunities, one being the idea of a Drill Bomb.

[​IMG]

The Drill Bomb is a bomb that tunnels through the world (as in down towards the ground, see image above) and resurfaces at the other side and then explodes. It is a high tech weapon, it's not something you'd see early game.

You could also expand the idea to include a subterranean transport that did the same job, but instead of exploding you could surprise attack the enemy with a transport full of units.

Although subterranean units have been done in RTS games before, they essentially just 'go invisible' because the maps are flat, anything with more detail would be impossible. This game has the opportunity to do something new and interesting with subterranean units, they'd be a great alternative to artillery and a very specific tactic, but a joy to use if you pull it off correctly.
  2. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

I would freak out if I saw the tip of the drill in my base hhaha :lol:
  3. acey195

acey195 Member

Kyle is that you :)? (I'm Pirate from EC and FF, from the ZH modding community)

Always great to see familiar faces.

For the idea
    If it is somehow counterable, I would be interested in something like this as well.
  4. thedrofevil

thedrofevil New Member

Yeah I'm Kyle, nice to see you here Pirate :)

To counter it, perhaps you could build a structure that deploys a electronic subterranean net. The net would disable the bombs just before they reach the surface (although the tip could poke through the ground, to show that you disabled it and of course to look awesome), the disadvantage of this net is that it has to recharge.

All you'd see is the structure on the ground (about the size of a regular base defense) and It would deploy a series of wires underground to form the net. Think of it like an underground shield.
  5. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

Imagine if had surfaced right underneath the commander, thats gotta hurt
  6. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I like the idea of subterranean bases/combat, and I like the idea of a drill-bomb, but I don't like the idea of a drill that somehow survives and swims through a planet's core. :|
  7. lophiaspis

lophiaspis Member

WNSFRWSFA! ;)

I love this idea. Death from below!
  8. conqueringfools

conqueringfools Member

I support this idea if and only if the drilling has to begin at the exact opposite of the planet where you would like it to emerge, meaning that it would travel in a perfectly straight line along it's route.

Why? Because it balance things a bit (opponent knows where to look for it) and it just makes things a little bit zanier.
  9. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

10. JWest

JWest Active Member

Rather than a bomb, why not have some kind of mobile base/stronghold unit that can burrow like that, and emerge and act as a unit factory, shelling your enemy while setting up shop and pumping out units after it's emerged?

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN-FfJKg ... r_embedded

I know, I know, we're aiming for awesome and all...
  11. acey195

acey195 Member

That basically only says you cannot throw a bomb through a tunnel that is already dug, you would still be able to dig down and make a detour around the earths core, in theory...

Also, the C&C tiberian sun's subterranean units were fun :p. it had a transport and a flame tank that could go underground, if you haven't played it.
  12. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

I was thinking of a similar idea, just the bomb wouldn't surface on the other side, but go straight to the planets core and detonat there, bringing the whole planet to explode or colapse/whatever.

Imagine getting a massage that a drill-bomb has been detacted and you have like 20 minutes or so to get your commander and units off the planet!