I'm impressed

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by stuntman014, November 25, 2010.

1. stuntman014

stuntman014 New Member

I have yet to buy this game. I've been hesitant to get myself an xbox live subscription, which is the only thing stopping me at this point. I thought I might head over to this site and see what the community looks like. Hence the thread title.

It seems like you're all very happy players with a good sense of sportsmanship and fun. I just wonder how long this game is going to last. Is playership declining, or are there still lots of games out there to join?

My other concern is the learning curve. It seems like a lot of you here are basically pros and I'm a bit scared to just dive in.
  2. Obsydianyte

Obsydianyte New Member

Well then, welcome to the world of Monday Night Combat!

Don't be scared at all. The best thing you can do is hold your breath and plunge. You'll learn quickly what you're good at and what you're not, and once you find that out, things will go smoothly from there. Or at least, they should.

My advice to you is this: Try out Blitz until you're comfortable using a certain class, and learning the tricks of the trade. Not only will you earn money doing this (which, in turn will level you up), but you'll get to learn the ropes in a decidedly less hostile and chaotic setting.

First, try Local on your own at the easiest level. Once you get the hang of it, try XBox Live Blitz at the easiest level to see how well you work with a team in what you do.

After you're comfortable enough, try Live Blitz again at Seasonal (the Medium of Blitz) to see if you can handle a tougher atmosphere. After that, if you feel confident enough, jump into Crossfire and test your skills!

Always remember that Blitz is a nice retreat from the front lines, so to speak.
  3. TG GHOSTMERC

TG GHOSTMERC New Member

the learning curve realy isnt that high.
    the community took a player hit when cod black ops came out but some people have already come back. and it realy did not effect the ability to find a full room.
    community is still healthy. and the game is worth the purchase.
    seeya soon.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Monday Night Combat is a great game to invest to into. Today it is unlike any shooter on the market.

As for the community here we are all huge fans of the game and welcome any and all new comers. MNC is just like any modern shooter out there, it had a slightly intense learning curve. This is what I tell my buddys about it "It's easy to learn but hard to master." Which is a great thing. The basics are easy to pick up but the real beauty comes with experimentation and finding your niche within the game. Today with so many shooters focusing on "kill, kill, kill" MNC is a much needed change of pace.

How long it will last? Well that is up to this wonderful community. We all enjoy playing together and since some of us love this game so much we can't help but urge our pals to get into it. If you feel you are being out classed, in combat, there are plenty of great Class-by-Class strategy guides with outlined pros and cons determining their match ups and of course the roles they excel at.

P.s With this free XBL Gold weekend coming up I suggets all you XBl Free members to download the MNC demo because with that demo you get afree 60 minutes multiplayer demo of Online play. There are two game modes. Blitz and Crossfire. Crossfire is the online 6v6 game mode. The Blitz mode is basically like Horde mode from Gears.
  5. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

It is absolutely worth the investment. It is a steal.

I don't think the player base will take enough of a hit that you won't be able to find a game.

Question: Do you have any current friends who play this? Partying up with people is nearly mandatory if you really want to take advantage of class synergy/strategies.
  6. stuntman014

stuntman014 New Member

Ah no I don't. That's the other thing. I can think of one who might be interested in joining me but I think he's a bit preoccupied with BlOps. But just going by the forums it can't be too hard to make friends, right?
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Don't worry about having some of your more "current" friends declining to join. Monday Night Combat has a great community and if your sole purpose is to have fun then it will not be hard to find a few "Pros*" to join up with and just start having fun. The real, shall I say "Hardcore fans," enjoy toughly fun games.

Most, if not all active forums members are just looking for an Uber time(no pun). Win, lose or draw, if have fun then each game was a blast. I will admit, like every game, we all have our "Fffffuuuu" moments which only really adds to the comradery.

*Pros are what the games calls other players and/or classes.
  8. badmonk

badmonk New Member

tbh MNC is one of the most fun online games i have played in ages!!
    kinda like a 3rd person TF2 and once you like a certain class (or classes) its crazy fun!!
    dont think people realise how polished and awesome this game really is!
  9. Rev Rabies

Rev Rabies New Member

About the learning curve, read the guides here, or find one of the "pros" that mains your favorite class, and ask for tips and tricks, maybe they'll even invite you to a game and teach you things first hand.

I played by myself for awhile, and didnt do great, but once i got into a group, i started learning a lot, and i have a lot more fun now.

This is the best multiplayer game i've played, by far, and it is worth much more than 15 dollars
  10. Organous

Organous Member

It seems it's my duty to provide a balanced perspective and go over the negatives, since you people all seem to want to promote.
    * My biggest beef is that games are often effectively over well before the official declaration. Once an entire team has managed to get into the other base, it's extremely difficult to get them out. I've found this to be especially true in Steel Peel, by far the most closed-in arena available.
    * Don't count on turrets to live very long, even with a Support or two on your team. One non-Sniper player with juice will see to it that they are quickly dismantled. Beyond that, at least one person has to stay behind or else a single player (regardless of class) could just demolish every turret in the base. There's a running gag here of calling them turrents.
    * There are plenty of glitches in this game. Some of them are getting patches, some not. For example, the Tank is able to shoot through walls and a juiced Support will constantly heal as long as any Heal/Hurt Gun is involved with him (his own or an opponent's). Lag will also play a heavy factor against you if you're relying on any kind of precision.

That said, two things keep me in this game: flavor and general principle. This is a team game with an objective. You'll be far more effective when keeping control of the overall arena than acting like Rambo Deathmatch. There's nothing personal about this; it's purely a competitive game. There's no pretense at a greater purpose or realism. If you stay competent and organized, victory will follow.
  11. SHOW YOUR HEART

SHOW YOUR HEART New Member

Don't let Organous get you down. He's bitter because he's usually on the wrong end of a melee kill.

I will say this, though: Find friends. Even if you don't have your old buddies to play with, we have a great community here. There's actually a thread right now in the tournament forum of new players getting together to play.

As far as the nonsense that some people are shouting .. The majority of the issues only exist because yes, just as in ANY OTHER GAME, if you're playing with a team of friends you're going to steamroll a team of randoms, generally. Such is the way of life.

As far as the glitches go, I'm not sure how the support using his heal/hurt is a glitch, but okey! The Uber developers are by far the best I've seen, and you'll see them regularly active on these forums and trying to correct issues.

Hudson and I used to be quite dominant in the call of duty franchise, and I think that he'll agree that we've BOTH enjoyed Monday Night Combat a great deal more than we did call of duty.

Buy MNC. ;)
  12. Organous

Organous Member

1) The glitch is that as long as he is using the Heal/Hurt Gun or an opponent uses it on him, his health is constantly 100%. It doesn't go up gradually, it's instant. As long he's got a target, he's practically invincible.

2) I simply like to provide a balanced perspective. Of course the fans are going to provide positive stuff, but no game is perfect. To make a Star Trek quote significantly out of context: "if we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."
  13. SHOW YOUR HEART

SHOW YOUR HEART New Member

OH. YOU SAID WHILE JUICED. I'M IGNORANT.

sowwy. :oops:
  14. mute

mute New Member

1) That's the not glitch at _all_. It happens with all classes and the H/H gun has nothing to do with it, it is being fixed in the DLC/Update. It's a issue with Juicing period, and its more of visual glitch than anything. Juiced players are 'supposed' to be semi-invincible... it takes direct consecutive damage to kill a juiced player (assaults and gunners can mow em over. pro-tip, grapple.).

1b) to your * points in the early post... Lag isn't that big of a factor, thats a big overstatement and the last thing someone wants to hear when considering purchasing a new game. Snipers are one of the most pesky turret destroyers, specially on steel peel.. so your read on that is off. Games ending before overtime is the ideal way to win the game, overtime is a crap shoot... the point is to try to win before overtime and during regulation... just like *ALL* sports. As for glitches, there are not "alot", and non of them are game-changers. The tank one you mentioned is incorrect, its not that he can shoot through walls, as in any wall, its that he can shoot through a low wall that is directly in front of him when the gun appears to be blocked, but acts like it is above the railing (like on the upper walkways on Grenade Arena and Ammo Mule). There are a couple issues with the sniper and shooting through walls though, but its very specific.

2) Thats fine, but get your facts straight....
  15. stuntman014

stuntman014 New Member

Well, I took your advice and tried out online multiplayer during the Live free weekend. WOW!

It's really fun, I have to say. I found it very difficult to jump in as the assassin (who suits my playstyle for most games. I'm best at Spy in TF2) but I'm sure with more experience will come easier and more fluent gameplay. I spent most of my demo time as the support, which helped me adjust to the flow of the match. I had a good time luring people into my firebase 3.3.

I did find it somewhat annoying that a juiced *sniper* could go into a base with his SMG and waste an entire enemy team without flinching. I suppose he earned it, but seeing as it's the sniper in particular it should be harder for him to build up juice, being safely tucked away in his base. Just my two cents on that.

Anyway, I expect I'll be getting an xbox live subscription and this game by the end of the year, and I look forward to playing with you all!