Size and Scale

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tripleomega, August 18, 2012.

1. tripleomega

tripleomega New Member

After seeing the kickstarter trailer/pitch I was half exited and half worried/skeptical. I liked the idea of expanding upon TA and going a bit insane with it, but the presentation of it had me concerned.

So I'd like to know (before I pledge) whether or not the scale of the buildings and units relative to the planets will be like that in the final product. In my opinion having buildings and units the size of small countries is not a good design decision. It messes up their relation to terrain(What mountain or ocean would be high or deep enough to have any effect?) and it destroys any sense of playing on a huge(planetary) scale.

Given that there was a hint at possible naval it seems unlikely you want to keep this scale(otherwise your ships won't be able to move :p), but given the fact that you used it in your presentation it still has me worried. What will the final scale be like? Will it be like TA and SC with units the size of tanks and larger(and just enormous maps relative to their size), or will they be much larger then that?
    activeo2 likes this.
  2. hotrod92

hotrod92 New Member

From what I can tell, you will be able to have small maps as were shown in the video, but there will also be the possibility of having huge scale maps and solar systems for 40-player games.

I agree that what we've seen in the video seems too small for any kind of RTS game, bigger is better!
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well they have talked about Procedurally generated planets, and I couldn't imagine them not giving the player the option have mess with the settings directly if they wanted too, just like in CnC: Tiberium Sun.

So you'd be able to adjust them to your exact liking more or less, but we'll have to wait and see a bit.

Mike
  4. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I second the wish/hope that planet sizes will range from micro to massive (namely, lots bigger than what was shown).

And that's w/o including the rest of the star system(s).