Support commanders?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by prometheusmv, August 18, 2012.

1. prometheusmv

prometheusmv New Member

Would it be possible to build AI controlled sub commanders that you can give some of your units to (for example the moon base in the movie) so it reduces micro management? Because it feels like a daunting task to micro manage multiple planetary/moon/asteroid bases even when using a strategic zoom and multiple screens. It would be much easier if you could give a support AI some resources and units and just tell him to build me a well defended moon base with interplanetary artillery, so that I can focus my attention elsewhere.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

letting play an ai for me is a no go, imho.
    reptarking likes this.
  3. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

From what I've read, and I think I understand it correctly, they're gonna implement multiple windows (think watching a screen with security camera footage) to simplify micro over multiple planets!
  4. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I think the problems you describe can be solved with multiple viewports and a really good interface.

It's too difficult to make a reliable AI that will command your units for you.
  5. hotrod92

hotrod92 New Member

To be honest, I wouldn't want an AI building my bases for me or managing my army. I play the game in my own style, and having an AI would most likely just mess things up.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We'll leave this to the modders. This was an idea SupCom was supposed to have in it at one point.
  7. ramcat

ramcat New Member

Actually, there is the idea of a whole new game here.

Imagine you have an interface that talks to the subcommanders only. You can spawn subcommanders and assign them to air, ground, sea, or resource gathering. You tell them where and who to attack like you do in TA, they move their armies in to attack.

A "normal" game of TA is being played, each unit shooting and each shot being calculated. But your control is getting subcommanders up and running behing the main battle line and when they have enough units ordering them into battle.

Some commanders would be send across the lines to steal units or resources. Some commanders to build ground defences - make a line. Some comanders in the back to make nukes, nuke defences, heavy air and ground units.

Yes each commander is being played by an AI but you "control" the AI. Not only that, but if the AI was provided by an API players could provide their own AI's for each type of subcommander.
  8. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Having AI control part of your army would be frustrating, no question about it. You would end up dying through no fault of your own and that would make even a Buddhist monk throw his keyboard through the cat.

I have had an idea that could potentially work. It would need a lot of playtesting and might turn out to be a very bad idea. With that caveat established:

Let's say we have a 6v6 game in a solar system with 12 planets. In the lobby, two players are assigned as team leaders. At the start of the game, all commanders from team 1 start on the same planet, and all commanders from team 2 start on a second planet. The team leaders play the game as normal, but part of their responsibility is to assign each lieutenant an objective. This would need a very good UI at the very least.

For example, when all six commanders are on planet 1, any resources gathered are shared, but the lead commander has priority. So if he runs out of resources, then the resources are leeched from the other players before they have a chance to use them. This would require proper teamwork.

In order to stop lieutenants ignoring the orders and going off and doing their own thing, their operation area would have to be limited.

So for instance each lieutenant commander is assigned a planet to go and conquer. The lead commander is free to assign multiple lieutenants to a given planet. Once a lieutenant is assigned his mission, he will be prevented by the game from performing any action that contravenes his order. At its most basic interpretation this will mean that he can only make a limited range of low-tech buildings, assist the lead commander and make planetary transport on the starting planet, and he can only launch to his designated area of operations. Further limitations would probably be needed but would depend on game mechanics.

When a lieutenant commander is assigned a planet, he has priority over the resources there in the same way that the lead commander does on planet 1.

Assigning planets as orders is just the most basic form. The lead commander could order that a certain amount of land units are sent from one lieutenant to a specific theatre of war for example. The lieutenant might see this as an an incoming message much like many RTS games have in the middle of their campaign levels when a new objective is unlocked.

It sounds complicated as hell and would probably be an absolute nightmare to implement, so I entirely understand if none of the above is possible. If what I've written doesn't make sense please ask and I can try to clarify.
    Last edited: August 19, 2012
  9. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

I think this is a good approach. AI is incapable of adapting to the meta-game (not GW, but how people play the game) so it's impossible to make an AI that will be good for a long time.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Interesting. Good choice not to put it in. :)
    reptarking likes this.