Lets say I won the lottery and wanted to design a video game

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by rudigarmc, November 16, 2010.

1. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

I wouldn't mind building a video game of my own, but I always thought that if I worked on video games all day, I wouldn't want to play them anymore. Plus, if I ever worked on a big title, I wouldn't want to read about things people want to change about MY game.
  2. MagnumVeritan

MagnumVeritan New Member

I have often wondered about being part of the development of a game but I'm not sure I have thick enough skin for it.

Invariably at least part of the community starts treating the folks who made the game like the bad guy (eg: blizzard is spoken of like they are an evil, oppressive regime by a large amount of WoW players whenever some change to mechanics are made, Infinity ward is popular to condemn for not fixing glitches faster, and I dare say even a few of our own forum folks got aggressive with Uber, especially at the title update).

I realize that they made money off the game so it wasn't an act of charity, but game makers have to have a drive past just getting a paycheck to make good games (an opinion stated previously in this thread). So if I invested as much as I know Uber and other developers do, I'd come unglued on the complainers and probably not have an enjoyable experience.

That and when some 12 year old slaughtered me at my own game and then said some impolite things about my mother and sexual preference, I'd probably stop having fun.
  3. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

A lot of developers don't make money off the games they release. It's the publishers, retailers and console makers that make most of the money.

Making games and playing games are two very different things. The games I make are not finished and often in various states of unplayability.

Having a thick skin is part of being a developer. That said... it's still hard to handle from time to time.
  4. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

Don't let a 12 year old punk you. Tell that 12 year old you have at least has sexual experiences with his mother.
  5. Slim Jim

Slim Jim New Member

6. rudigarmc

rudigarmc New Member

seen it.
  7. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

See, I have a misty-eyed watercolour vision to making games. I always got the impression it'd be easy, until I found getting Reptile to do a convincing walk across the screen in Dark Basic to be a challenge. I really want to end up a dev, but I seriously doubt my ability :cry: .

It's almost painful.