What would you need for ppl to participate in a tournament?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Clans, Team, and Tournamen' started by teapot, August 3, 2012.

1. teapot

teapot Post Master General

A little confusing of a title, but basically what are your requirements for a tournament in which you would actually be dedicated to playing? The Dev tournament did well, and there were some GB matches, but after that the momentum slowed down and we barely got through the first round of a couple draft tournaments.

Prizes and developer support help big time.

Would $100 per person for firsrt place be enough motivation? Posters?
  2. igotbannedagain

igotbannedagain New Member

Re: What would you need for ppl to participate in a tourname

Mickey Cantor forum account.
  3. teapot

You'd make a good mickey cantor :lol:

would prizes and dev support be enough for you to be somewhat interested in a tournament? I'm sure at one time it could have worked but at this point I think it would take A LOT for players to want to come back.
  4. igotbannedagain

I think you would have much better luck trying to recruit new players and building a tournament from only those players. The vets just don't give a **** anymore.
  5. RandomToon

RandomToon Well-Known Member

I think the main thing you need is a way to convince people that they won't be wasting their time on games that don't happen. I personally don't need much more than bragging rights that five other people carried me to a victory. I think that part of the reason that there was such low success in the past is that teams could not get all their players on at the same time, let alone at the same time as the other team so no one played - wut do nao?

Let's say;
    "Team A and Team B, you have one week to settle your games. If you don't have a game, it is a..." what? Forfeit? Reschedule? Both teams lose? Whose fault is it that there was no game? What if Team A has 5 subs, does it count? Who gets the recognition if someone sits out the final, the sub or the regular who never missed a game until then?

If you did "games must happen on Saturday 7-10" then you alleviate that problem, but the turnout will be much smaller - small enough you might only get one team. Winners by default.
  6. teapot

Yeah it's difficult and complicated. Even when the tournament was dev supported they still had their issues, but most of the issues from the draft tourney stemmed from players who signed up but didn't care enough to play often. No chemistry, just picked up a random person who claimed they wanted to play but never got on.

A lot of those issues are dealt with on on gamebattles by the mods. I'd imagine you're allowed one sub per team if you want, and that sub gets the recognition if he played in a match and won. If they split the games in which they won, I guess they split the "$100".

I was just curious if a small amount of prize money would convince players to be a little more dedicated for competitive play.
  7. RandomToon

RandomToon Well-Known Member

It certainly interests me. I would put up MS points, but not $600 worth...maybe $5 worth per person on the winning team (400 points). Which is to say, not much incentive...
  8. igotbannedagain

If you're actually thinking about doing this, you probably need a strict set of rules and s third party to moderate.

I'm too busy to play but I could probably handle moderating the tournament. I have no quarrel with anyone in MNC, so decisions would be unbiased.

Edit: Korchanth loves my guts, so if he plays, his team (1)wins.

(1)Wins=doesn't win.
  9. HiipFire

HiipFire Active Member

Sure.
  10. SHStiger

SHStiger New Member

a new game
  11. teapot

go play SMNC and visit the tournaments section of that forum?

tiki tournament was a nightmare and they rarely run skilled private match lobbies.. I think up until recently there was a larger number of players dedicated to competitive play on MNC 360 than on SMNC.
  12. joker

joker Active Member

For the vets, prob a worthwhile prize. For new people, I have no idea. Are these hand picked teams? That would probably be preferred in a tournament with a prize and prevent people from bailing if they didn't like their team
  13. skayeyeelel

skayeyeelel New Member

you said it in the title "people and participate"
  14. kckzi

kckzi New Member

Prizes don't do much to get people to participate into tourneys. It doesn't attract enough new people since most new people realize they won't win. Pretty much the only thing that happens is the vet players play, but they would have done that for free. At best you can hope to get a few old players to come back and try to win for the sake of the prize, but not enough to make a mark.
  15. teapot

Yeah I've asked some older teams how they would feel about playing just to see where they stand today. Not even in a tournament but just a match.

No response from ZyN and only Hulk from Type Z said he would give it a shot but never happened. I'm not entirely sure who else is even worth it to ask.

If anything the only thing I could see that would drive them to play is money. If anything was to get organized I would throw some prize money down just because I enjoyed this game competitively enough. If I was on GP I would have had an open challenge for cash on the first team to beat us.
  16. skayeyeelel

skayeyeelel New Member

You will never get anything started.. Your all talk
  17. woyldman

woyldman New Member

I would play as long as I am not forced to go gunner... I think that's the main reason my left trigger broke on my old controller :(
  18. teapot

I didn't think anything was gonna come from this, so you're retarded. Want me to drive to these guy's houses and knock on the door? Pick me up next time you're out delivering and we could get the ball rolling.
  19. igotbannedagain

The irony is as thick as molasses in that post.
  20. teapot

you can find a post on the nexuiz forums talking to Sir Hulk Z from Type Z about coming back, and we exchanged PM's. ZyN's got a website and they didn't respond.