MMA

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by ZOoo00OOm, June 26, 2012.

1. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

Maybe I don't understand but I find MMA very boring to watch. Most of the time its due to this very same reason: they just push against each other. That's it. Maybe one time a guy will fall to the ground and start getting punched in the face, but that's about the extent of it.

I'm sure there is some skill involved (You have to be able to knock a fit man onto the ground), don't get me wrong but it just looks boring. What cracks me up is the people who say "MMA is the best martial arts" (APhYeRmE). To base such judgment on commercial match videos complete with advertisements on a fighter's *** and certain sets of rules, is not directly relatable to what happens outside of such restrictions. Like, I don't know, the street (Hey! I got hit in the groin. Technical foul!). I will admit that long lasting street fights do end up on the ground usually.

IMO
  2. Hako

Hako New Member

I'm not really down with grown muscle-y men grabbing at each other on the ground.
  3. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I am, but not in this context.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Do you really want to you know or is this you trying to be funny Zoom?

Early MMA wasn't called that. It was called "Cage Fighting" or "Extreme Fighting" because it was just that. A street fight in a ring. Though something more dangerous that what happens in a street took over the sport and that's Jiu Jitsu. Also without rules how could people make a career? I mean just look at Ali and Joe Frazier two of Boxing greats and they can't even talk right these days. Not to mention any fight style that is scored has rules.

MMA is boring simply because people don't know what they are watching. They just watch to see someone get their face smashed in and that's it. Don't care about fight science or history.

Also there is a big difference between a street fight and a professional sanctioned fight.
  5. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

MMA consists of the best martial arts for a 1v1 street fight. These martial arts consist of a combination of:

-Muay Thai Kickboxing
    -Boxing
    -Wrestling
    -Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

This isn't based off of a commercial match. Google "gracie challenge". The evolution of the sport happened when a free for all martial arts tournament took place; they took the best kung fu guys, professional boxers, tae kwon do guys, sumo wrestlers, shoot fighters, karate guys, judokians, etc, and put them in a 16 man fight tournament. 3 out of the 4 years, the guy who won was Royce Gracie, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guy (and also one of the smallest competitors).

Now, because everybody knows Jiu Jitsu in MMA, it is also important to be good striking and good at takedowns. Just as Jiu Jitsu was proven to be the most effective martial art on the ground, wrestling has been proven to be the most useful form for taking an opponent to the ground, and a fusion of muay thai and boxing has been developed as the most useful form of striking when keeping potential takedown threats in mind.

UFC does not bias, however. If you were a master at Tae Kwon Do or Kung Fu, if you could actually win fights using your martial art, you would be allowed to fight in the UFC. However, as of right now, no Tae Kwon Do guy is doing well in the UFC because those techniques simply are not as effective for striking as Thai Boxing.

As far as watching it goes...that's your opinion. I don't really like watching basketball, but it's still pretty damn popular. So I definitely understand. But as somebody who does it and understands all of the intricate movements on the ground, I love it. Actually understanding what they are trying to do on the ground makes it a lot more interesting.
  6. Hako

Hako New Member

I know what I was watching the few times I watched it but a lot of the time it just devolves into them both being on the ground in a hold taking shots when they can. Sure, it's neat... but it's incredibly boring watching that.

I don't know the history (Because I don't care) but I know the science.
  7. dadale1990

dadale1990 Member

I prefer boxing over mma.
  8. Undercover_Thudercat

If you haven't done BJJ, you don't TRULY understand the science. I mean, you get that one guy is trying to punch the other guy, but you don't understand all the small things that are also happening.
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Exactly. Those punches are just pawn moves in the chess match.

On a side note: I despise fans who boo during grappling battles. Just because "fools aint getting knocked out" doesn't mean it's boring nor is it boo worthy.

Also I see more dudes hugging it out in Boxing than I do in MMA. :lol: In fact all Pro Boxing really is is Jab, Jab, Jab, Grapple, Body punch x2 or 3, pretend like I am not grappling/hugging, have ref split us apart. Repeat. :D
  10. Undercover_Thudercat

Yup. Unforunately, I'll be a boring fighter if I ever make it. I LOVE the ground. Ironically, despite it being the most boring to watch, it's the most fun to do.

And yeah, in boxing, if you get stuck in a bad spot, just hug the guy. In MMA, if you do the same thing, he can still hit you.
  11. Undercover_Thudercat

Haven't smoked in a few days, actually. Far too busy. I won't play MNC anymore, but if you see me on Netflix, feel free to send me a party invite. I got no problem coming in to say hello.
  12. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

You're not gonna do the Pyre-thing are you? "MEH! I DON'T PLAY MNC ANYMORE YET I HANG OUT ON A VIDEOGAME FORUM! XBOX RUINED MY LIFE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MY OWN CHOICE THAT LED IT THAT WAY! I'M ASIAN AND PRETEND I'M BETTER THAN EVERYONE! I'M THE ADULT! I'M THE ADULT! I'M THE ADULT! MEH MEH MEH!"

Are you?

Because that would be lame.
  13. Undercover_Thudercat

Dude, are you an ******* or what? There is no requirement that states you must play MNC to post here. It's not like I'm coming in here to troll or anything. I like a lot of the people from this community and there really is no other way to keep up.
  14. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

It was a joke, brah.

I still chuckle at how Pyre made a fool of himself, but it was a joke.
  15. Undercover_Thudercat

Oh, sorry. My sarcasm detector is out of batteries. Carry on.