Okay, question: Sniper and cloak

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Amaranth, October 12, 2010.

1. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

So, like, seriously. I'm getting shot while stationary by snipers under a level 2 or 3 cloak.

Is this a function of the Sniper's scope or something? I know it's easier to see an Assassin the closer you are, but even then, I'm not sure how some of these guys are, you know, FINDING me. Because they do things like turn then shoot. That confuses me a little.

So can someone fill me in on how this works? It happens enough it's not a lucky guess and it's not because I'm dashing (if it were only then, I'd assume it was the motion blur etc.)
  2. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

-Are you sure they are shooting you and not hitting you with explosive rounds?

-Did you have any of the visual debuffs (dazed, slowed, blinded, product grenaded, fire, etc) glitch and stay on you? (Patch will fix this)

-Did you recently smoke bomb jump or take a lift and take fall damage? Take damage from any other sources?

Other than those, I don't know why you would be extremely visible unless you were close enough for them to hear the hum of your cloak. I don't play sniper enough to comment on this from a scoped in perspective.
  3. Unic0rnSunshine

Unic0rnSunshine New Member

Depending on distance/what's around them, a cloaked assassin can be incredibly obvious or not even there through a scope.
  4. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Neither of those fit, Hud. I know about persistent effects. I've groaned about them here.

Also, explosive rounds generally need to hit something, even a turret nub. They also don't headshot you.
  5. Unic0rnSunshine

Unic0rnSunshine New Member

I'll say that I've gotten a few lucky headshots on cloaked sins, but that's usually "I'm shooting at a turret and mr. 'leetkiller4' is wondering where the bullets are coming from and cloaks out to see".

Also, I don't think turret nubs activate explosive rounds, but if they do, I should really get on using that.
  6. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Just tested it and nope. Doesn't trigger them. I like to shoot my own bots to takes out assassins and tanks with the explosions, though.
  7. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

I can say that there have been quite a few cases where I have sniped an assassin who might have been clocked for a couple of seconds or so. Occasionally I'll catch a glimpse of them and shoot in their general direction, and sometimes I'll score a lucky hit. Sometimes I'll get a lucky headshot just when I'm shooting through a bot. If you stand still in the sniper's typical line of sight for long enough you'll become a random casualty.

And before someone says this is overpowered, consider that a gremlin kill might also be considered a "random" kill.
  8. Zander Star

Zander Star New Member

the way i can tell is the foot steps. they give off a nice poof trail that follows you around
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

The only thing I can think of is a teammate called it out. Only because you said they turn and shoot.

Well actually they could have the famed "Turtle Beach Headsets" which still won't explain how they know exactly were you are.
  10. BoltAktion

BoltAktion New Member

wrong, explo shots do in fact trigger off broken nubs

the nub must have been a turret, and then destroyed
  11. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

I didn't know Turtle Beach headsets actually allowed you to hear things across the map. That's pretty cool. I need a set now.
  12. Intricasm

Intricasm New Member

Well then I wasn't wrong, was I? Just didn't test on destroyed turrets. =P

Good to know that, though. Can keep shooting at the turrets I destroyed to harass people.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh wow it was across the map. Did it happen consistently like to them you appeared uncloaked? If not the only other reason I can think of is you running in front of their shot.

I know there is some kind of auto aim which make me wonder will it catch a cloaked Assassin?
  14. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

There is an "assisted aim" which means that the aim has a bit of a sticking effect when aiming at an enemy, but it doesn't apply to the sniper rifle. At least not while scoped in.
  15. tlbww

tlbww New Member

16. JackBotXL

JackBotXL New Member

a sniper got lucky on me once, but mostly i just destroy them(ice traps are annoying)
  17. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

18. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

Well I'm often enough not near enough to something to think that's the case. The case I was thinking of, I was near the underground tunnel in Ammo Mule with neither friendly nor enemy bots in sight. Since there's not a turret there and there were no visible allies at the moment, I figured I was safe to pause for a second. BOOM.

I'm pretty sure, though I cannot be certain, no enemies were around, either.

This doesn't happen like, all the time, but it does happen with enough frequency I'm wondering if there's soemthing else I'm missing. I think I've accounted for all the variables (As it happens when I'm still or walking), but I'm not sure. In the case that spawned the thread, though, I was literally half the field away and nobody was fighting in the center.
  19. tlbww

tlbww New Member

Oh come on. You couldn't come up with anything better than "No u!". Terrible.
  20. undeadlunatic

undeadlunatic New Member

yea i would like to know about this as well. i had smoke bomb jumped to the top of ammo mule and the damage effect dissapeared and i was moving around looking around the map. and then it happened BOOM HEADSHOT.