Whats this about ponies?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by then00bernaut, May 31, 2012.

1. then00bernaut

then00bernaut New Member

I literally have no idea what the big deal is about My Little Pony, I've never heard of that until the Friendship is Sharing video when people began to talk about it being related to that show. I've even seen an episode and I don't like it, so what's the big deal about this? Last I heard of this show everyone hated it.
  2. donut7577

donut7577 Active Member

I honestly don't get it either.
  3. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

I don't watch MLP, but I find it funny how some people act overly dramatic over the people who do. Almost like they have a flesh-eating disease or something.

I watched Power Puff Girls and I didn't get a special name for it. People who like to watch MLP don't need one either. A good cartoon is a good cartoon.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

^^

I don't know why everyone cares so much about a subjective opinion. You aren't defined by what you enjoy, which is kinda why rabid fandoms are always so stupid. Yeah I enjoyed the first season (haven't watched it since), but I ain't no brony.
  5. then00bernaut

then00bernaut New Member

I'm just wondering exactly why people are treating it like it's the best thing ever and at the same time a new development of cancer, even though it's just a TV show. Seems like people on the internet are just weird.
  6. arseface

arseface Post Master General

It was essentially just a bunch of guys who missed the older better kids shows having fun with something reminiscent of the late 90s/early 00s. It just caught on a bit more because it was unexpected that MLP would be good. The whole fanbase was just people having fun with something.

The drama is a combination of people who
    a)enjoy drama(most common)
    b)take things too seriously
    You'll find both of these in any fanbase.

I was into it for a while and acting like it was the greatest thing ever was just that, and act. People have fun acting certain ways.
  7. infinitycanvas

People think it's weird to like a show that was aimed at a different demographic. Granted the demographic is little girls, but in no way does that mean it can't be well animated, well written, and all the other stuff people say to defend the show. But it's the bronies themselves that escalated it to the degree that it's gotten to.
  8. 420trips

420trips Member

I've never watched it but from what I understand the creators of the show are very aware of their "accidental demographic" and so they weave in jokes that are aimed at a slightly older audience along with the usual stuff. Obviously nothing "adult" but stuff that perhaps young kids will miss.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Bro-mies...

At least that is the name for people who use MLP for online trolling. Like, they don't have to like it, but they WILL use it to troll.
  10. ridley69

ridley69 New Member

Manchildren . that's it.
  11. bongu

bongu Member

Ignorance ever heard of it? I think it plays a big role in your life
  12. ridley69

ridley69 New Member

Just because i think that watching something made for little girls isn't ok?
  13. vinco46

vinco46 New Member

They sort of designed it to encompass a larger audience. The older viewers were intended but maybe not the huge cult following.
  14. thetrollingking

thetrollingking New Member

Some people that never grow up and love girly ditsy things like MLP are assured to get massively trolled. IIRC it started on 4chan where it came up as a trolling thread now turned to a 2 sided demographic of you either love it to death, or you want people who watch it to die.
  15. bongu

bongu Member

No because of your insults.You seem very mature and tolerant

I guess you are one of the tough guys, sorry I don't want to mess with you
  16. infinitycanvas

Apparently in the second season they have a bunch more "hidden" jokes, but I only watched the first. The thing is is that it's really not a "kid's show," it's a "family show." It was never intended to be watched solely by its main demographic, which is the same reason why Spongebob and all sorts of classic cartoons are remembered/are still being made.
  17. Atok

Atok Member

Is just a good cartoon.

People enjoy it. There are characters with a specific set of behavior, so people who share that behavior relate to certain character.

A lot of people including myself, began watching the show just by curiosity. It's a good show, it's funny, in a general and open mid point of view; the cartoon is good.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C.S. Lewis
  18. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I blame the internet. No body ever made a big deal about the Care Bears or New Kids on the Block when I was young.

"Oh Oh Oh Oh, Oh Oh Oh Oh.
    Oh Oh Oh Oh, The right stuff!"
    :ugeek:
  19. vinco46

vinco46 New Member

Thing is, they made the new series decent enough to gain a hefty audience. Care Bares were bland. The old MLP shows were probably terrible. The new series broke the whole image that a series chained to a children's toy franchise could be good. But then being a show based on girl toys, it sort of made it weird liking it. And then a lot of people flaunted their appreciation so much to irritate others.
  20. Light My Pyre

Light My Pyre New Member

I've watched a magical girl show recently.

I loved it :lol:

Oh and for me, MLP looks very uninteresting.

Not because of it's only for little girls.

It simply looks boring...