Long Shot Turrets...when are they worth it? (Crossfire)

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Im Hudson, September 15, 2010.

1. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

They are a nice idea in theory, but seem to suffer on a lot of maps.

Much of Steel Peel is inside a giant dome, and much of the base is covered as well, plus almost all the turrets on that map are easily snipable.

They are limited to the outer nodes on the other maps which are the most vulnerable ones.

They die to non-juiced assassins or gunner mortar/airstrikes/product grenades/anything really quickly. I'd rather spend less than 200 on a lvl 3 lazer blazer for lightly armored base defense. Gapshots seem more cost effective in every singe way (except they cannot be hacked).

When do you advocate building these in Crossfire?
  2. AcidSnow

AcidSnow New Member

LongShots and ShaveIce are the only 2 turrets I ever buy, though I do upgrade my allies turrets on occasion.

Ammo Muel & Grenade III are the 2 best maps to spam them on.

LazeRazor is also a potential option, but less recommended. ...Just NEVER buy them on SteelPeel.

I suggest saving up 525 Gold, and then investing fully into a level 3 LongShot, that way you'll get the full effect from the start of the turrets [potentially short] life.
    Last edited: September 15, 2010
  3. itskrislol

itskrislol New Member

the ONLY place I ever put them is in Lazer Razer, one in the front left corner (not near the tunnel) and one on the far right side (near jump pad).

Grenade 3 is probably a great place for them, but I rarely place turrets on that map (don't really know why not)
  4. RACIN N420N

RACIN N420N New Member

Just last night I saw a lvl 3 longshot set up at the turret nub closest to the right exit out of our base on Steel Peel, happily firing away at the wall... If ever there was a need for a facepalm taunt in this game, this was one of those times.... I just wanted to destroy it lol
  5. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

I think it just comes down to the fact that I can do a lot more guaranteed damage to the enemy team/base by spending 500 on juice instead of 525 on a stationary lightly armored turret. Not to mention a good juice run will earn your back at least half if not all of your investment.
  6. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Its doubly enraging because not only has that team mate wasted 525 gold, but now he has deprived your base a turret node as well.
  7. Hiero Glyph

Hiero Glyph New Member

As a Support I refuse to heal Long Shot turrets on Steel Peel. I also avoid destroying them if the other team has then built. Uber keeps claiming that this is the strategy of this map but I have yet to see any benefit from allowing them in certain locations.
  8. nailhead04

nailhead04 New Member

The benefit is given to the other team for having a big dummy on your team make a LS that shoots into a wall.
  9. Thebigcheese

Thebigcheese New Member

They are useful outside of steel peel, as has been said.

Ever seen a hacked lvl 3 shoot? It's pretty sweet. They are more offensive than the other turrets as they shoot guys outside your base. But yeah they are well worth it when used correctly.
  10. RACIN N420N

RACIN N420N New Member

yeah I have been building the long shots more often lately, (not on steel peel of course)and I try to get them up to lvl 3 as quick as I can. I'd say I build them more than anything lately, not including Bouncers.... I LOVE throwin a bunch of bouncers out there :twisted: I don't buy a lot of juice, so later in the game all my money goes to bouncers and turrets, in that order :lol:
  11. Show me the Bacon

Show me the Bacon New Member

They are great to invest in if your team is strongly on the offensive, and has established map control. Because at that point, all other turrets won't be seeing any action.
  12. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

I love longshots. A couple of placements won't work on one or two other maps, but you can eyeball them. They're virtually useless in SteelPeel as you've noticed, but they're great. They're a bit of a gamble, since they become targets and will be a money sink if poorly defended, but they're great for offense and even harassment.
  13. mute

mute New Member

on the open air maps they can really kick *** because they quickly take out the opposing team's turrets... especially when hacked. even if they only last for a short time, if you built and upgraded one immediately and are focusing your offense on the side where they are taking the turrets out.. they pay off. really great late in a game just before overtime..

it can get pretty nuts really. if you're support and you build 2 long shots, upgrade/hack them, then spawn a bunch of Gap shots.. it quickly becomes hell for the defense on the other team.. but when you're going this route, the momentum should already be on yourside. If the other team has offensive momentum, its a liability.

if the other team is Turtling, I build longshots and upgrade them as quick as I can, then join the rest of my team on offense. Turtling + not being able to keep turrets up = game over.
  14. MikeLanglois

MikeLanglois New Member

One thing i have noticed from my longshots is a level 3 longshot positioned correctly, and hacked to level 3, will almost keep an entire lane clear of bots. If not the blackjacks will arrive so badly damaged you can just look at them and they will die.
  15. UberGunner

UberGunner New Member

The trick with longshots is having one person guard them...

And the rest of the team presses forward so they cant get close to them.
  16. OoPpEe1985

OoPpEe1985 New Member

I do find them useless overall unless they are level 3 with a level 3 hack and on some maps they are VERY useful.
    I do wish they were not useless on that map though, just firing into the wall. I think Uber should release a patch to make them not fire as high - so they will hit players on the bridge if they are camping there. Then I would build them more lol