1. itskrislol

itskrislol New Member

Personally, I think that replacing the smoke bomb with a smoke grenade would be a AMAZING idea all around, and here's why.

Smoke Grendade isn't effected by any Endorsements (except Skill Recovery, duh)
    Rank 1: Duration 2 seconds
    Rank 2: Duration 3 seconds and disabled all ground based traps (important: read on)
    Rank 3: Same duration, adds "sticky," increases radius

First, with the new patch coming out it allows assassins to still melee grapple a support and get away alive. Support is camping that Firebase? Throw a smokebomb at the Firebase so it can't see anything, run in and grapple the Support and get out (you can be grappled in a smoke bomb too, so hide at your own risk). It also works on the bigger Turrets, however Shave-Ice isn't effected due to it being AoE, also because it isn't really considered a "trap".

Second, the smoke grenade obscures any traps left around by Snipers, rendering them useless while the smoke grenade is active. This gives Assassin's a chance to actually get near a Sniper and take them out, however smarter Snipers will just lay a trap closer as well (this balances because now 2 traps are being used in place of one strictly against the Assassin). ed. note: Snipers wouldn't HAVE to put that extra trap down, it might just make it easier for them to defend against assassin, I personally look at it as "guard against the Assassin or all the others."

I'm not really sure about making the grenade "sticky" a la Airstrike and Assaults bomb, but if it was sticky overall duration should be far less than if it wasn't. I believe making it sticky would be OP, but theoretically a stuck opponent could just spin around and hope for a front grapple.

The grenade could also be used tactically, by smoking one way and going the other, you could cause some misdirection and confusion.

I really think that this would balance out a lot of the reasons that Assassins are currently complaining about as it gives them a chance to actually PVP vs their two biggest threats, while still allowing those same threats to be just as effective against them (if they know how to react/prepare/play their class)

I love the Assassin, I've just found myself rarely playing it anymore because I feel they are too underpowered against the classes it shouldn't be (Support and Sniper). If an Assassin is pushing lanes, etc then I feel they are doing their part to help, but taking out the 2 biggest camping classes should be where it shines. Also note, that I'm not taking anything away from those classes, how they're played is how I think they are meant to be played, I just think that by giving one class the ability to successfully deal with those threats it would balance the game greatly.

eidt: fixed random things
    Last edited: September 13, 2010
  2. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

You can already, in theory, smoke bomb, grapple, escape. The duration's short, so without recloak you're going to be screwed, but I think the same problems will arise with the grenade as the bomb.
  3. itskrislol

itskrislol New Member

I suppose I should have made it a bit more clear. Instead of how it currently flashes those nearby and has a small puff of smoke, I'm thinking more along the lines of a AoE smoke effect similar to the Snipers Flak, only it doesn't harm.
  4. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

I still think my comment stands.

Same flaws apply. One of the more notable problems being that, when someone hears or sees a smoke "grenade," the solution is likely to bunny hop.
  5. MikeLanglois

MikeLanglois New Member

Im alittle confused?

You mean to throw the smoke grenade like the product grenade? That sounds quite good to me, but i can see random blind-throwing happening.