Private Match Community...again

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by teapot, April 9, 2012.

1. RandomToon

RandomToon Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is a pretty crappy thing to see happening :?
    I understand the displeasure - I hope you have fun in all of your endeavours, whatever they may be. Be well.
  2. WildmanX2k

WildmanX2k New Member

In our defence, if we ended it in 3 minutes flat, there would have been more ragequits than just yourself (no-one wants to play after getting severely stomped before bullseye). Our ball going down after you left gave them hope to win (another reason they didn't ragequit). We gave the new people more time to settle into the match and realise how different pm's really are to pub matches (at least that's what I thought anyway).
  3. teapot

teapot Post Master General

where did he write that?

I can't control other lobbies people host, but there has never been a time where I host a lobby and we don't attempt to split the teams evenly.

I wanna know the details lol. What were the teams?
  4. onetimeuse

onetimeuse New Member

5. onetimeuse

onetimeuse New Member

If you want to speak with Jon directly, start here.

http://www.thundereaglegroup.com/anyone ... t1237.html
  6. teapot

already posted. if anyone wants to discuss this topic I also think it's a good idea to head to the TEG forums, not here.
  7. teapot

do people like the "captains" idea? honestly it's hit or miss depending on who the captain is.

would people put enough trust into me or another captain, who has proven they understand how picks work based on classes, to split and balance the teams class and skill wise?
  8. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

bad mannered private match players!?!?! news to me!
  9. teapot

I give you credit.. you're much later to trolling the thread than I thought you would be.
  10. RandomToon

Yes Teapot, I trust you to pick well.

Best case scenario is teams, but there are only three active right now. That is PM at its most pure.

I trust captains to make the right choices, but both captains NEED to be on the same level.
    If someone chooses to be a captain and they are close to my skill level, I will be a captain. If someone like Mircale, Fake Miracle, Chron, or Kckzi is captain I won't do it because my team essentially has its first pick be someone who wouldn't normally be picked up until choice 4, 5, or 6. It is a severe disadvantage. Then there is the inevitable 5th or 6th choice person leaving after one game and getting someone like Gunked or Chollo to replace them.

If you do not do captains, how do you determine teams - luck of the automatic system? I think that is worse in almost every case.

The only system that I can come up with is "mutual captains". Basically the two captains work together to pick both teams, and make sure the matchups are as fair as they can make them. Yeah, you may end up with a bunch of new payers against vets, but what fun is that? Better to try and do the best matchup possible with the available players. That way you don't end up with my gunner trying to go up against Wildman, and people can try out new classes and plays. Of course, sometimes it is impossible to balance and it makes the picks less important.

Alternately, if you want to makes the picks important but still rebalance on the fly, you can do "losing captain gets to swap one of his players for one of the winning captains players" after each match. Losing captain gives two choices of who he wants from the winning team, and one or two choices (haven't decided) of who he is going to give up. Winning captain chooses which of his players will leave in exchange for the other player. The same players cannot be swapped twice in a row, captains can't be traded. Losing captain can choose to not swap if he wants. The obvious problem is that remaking the lobby after every game is a giant pain.

Lastly, suck it up and do a 3 arena run then repick teams. Or just have everyone decide to repick as appropriate.

Only ideas I have at this hour. I will work on it :?
  11. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

it's entertaining to watch the same community that trolled people to play now begging for people to play them because they have such difficulty yielding full lobbies.

irony fascinates me!
  12. the_feedle

the_feedle New Member

i think deadeye wants you to join him
    hes losing friends quickly
  13. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

perhaps you should because some of you can't stop talking about him
  14. WildmanX2k

WildmanX2k New Member

Have support players go captain.
  15. teapot

who else did we troll into playing? as far as I know we only trolled you so we can finally get you to play against good people. I'd look into some sports, maybe some hiking or even actually playing video games if you're looking for entertainment. It should be slightly more entertaining than watching what people write on an internet forum.

Toon, absolutely agree. Captains only work when both are the same skill level, have no bias in who to pick, and understand how to pick based on classes rather than friends/cliques, and most importantly know all/most of the players in the game.

Honestly, it turns out slightly better when both of the captains are skilled for some reason. Skill refuses to play on my team, so when we both captain it works out pretty well. Skill, Chron, Shammas, and Myself are good at looking at the big picture while picking teams.

Wildman, I think it should be players of similar skill, not exactly class.

It's an interesting idea on swapping players after matches. I honestly like it, and think it could be a good idea. The only issue is that we spend more than enough time trying to set up the lobbies, teams, and party chats that an additional time could hurt us. However, it could be a great idea if we find out after a game or two that the teams are pretty unbalanced, and could be fixed with a player swap rather than another draft.
  16. the_feedle

the_feedle New Member

perhaps you should because some of you can't stop talking about him[/quote]

thats right i cant stop talking about him just like you cant stop talking about me
  17. RandomToon

There are plenty of full lobbies - it is just a matter of filling them in the most convenient way possible, and making those lobbies as fun as can be for everyone involved. The in-match metagame is worked out pretty well right now, and was the focus before. This is simply work on the oraganizational metagame, if you will, since it is not quite "there" yet.

Thanks for your input :)
  18. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

threads made attacking the community's skill level and trolling them to prove their worthiness to you bad mannered kids. i am flattered however that you think a whole community would put that much effort just to have a chance to play me :cool:

you just made a post about me implying that i still play MNC too much and now i don't play enough. nobody likes a flip flopper!
  19. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

"In-match metagame"? "Organizational metagame"?

roflmao.....i'm dying over here
  20. teapot

sorry nobody knows what you are talking about. I didn't say you play too much, nor did I say you don't play enough. I said that you, just like deadeye, still play this game enough to get high up on the weekly leaderboards, despite how "little" you play this game.

sounds like you're pretty upset peachy. On behalf of everyone ever, we're sorry. We hope you can forgive all of us here at the private match community. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Toon, don't bother.. he attempts to read but he won't listen. talking about "metagame" is useless.. instead talk about the juice machine cool down times.