Erratic K/D stat?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by ChrisMikeRack, September 10, 2010.

1. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

Was just wondering what the maths behind working out the K/D ratio were? I check the locker room after almost every game to check if new protags have been unlocked, and constantly after finishing a game positive on kills to deaths my stat will have dropped.

I get its just a percentage so it will waver a bit, but it seems a bit erratic.
  2. Silentblade4289

Silentblade4289 New Member

K/D ratio is kills divided by deaths. So if you have 9 kills to 3 deaths, you will have a 3 K/D ratio. If in around, your K/D ratio is lower than your overall K/D ratio, then you K/D will drop accordingly. The only way to raise your K/D ratio is to have a better K/D ratio in a round than your overall ratio.
  3. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

Exactly

Which is why when I come out of a game with a positive k/d ratio you dont expect to see it drop.
  4. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

You get docked points because you like Justin Bieber. Hard-coded, sorry...
  5. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

Im too much of a game geek! I get home and game game game....i dont even know who this bieber bloke is! I seem to see his name mentioned alot....!
  6. Silentblade4289

It depends what your K/D ratio was before entering the match.

Like if you have a K/D ratio of 1.544 going into a match. Then you finish said match with a ratio of 1.202(in the specific match), your overall ratio will drop because you didn't perform as well as you usually do in terms of K/D ratio. If you have a negative ratio(0.whatever), then yes your overall ratio will improve due to any positive ratio you put up.

So in short, if you finish a match with a lower K/D ratio than your career K/D ratio, then your career ratio will drop whether you went positive or not.
  7. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

ok thanks this makes sense now. Its an average game k/d rating then, not an exact representation of your kills Vs your deaths?
  8. HagenMichiel

HagenMichiel New Member

No, it is an exact representation.

Say over all your games you have 1500 kills and 1000 deaths, your K/D is 1.5

Now you play a game and you get 24 kills and 20 deaths. Your K/D ratio is 1.2 for that game, it means your average will drop, since the K/D ratio this game is lower than your average.

It will go to 1524/1020 = 1,494

In the locker room you can see your total kills and your total deaths, divide them and you will get the number that should be the same as the K/D ration also written there.
  9. Silentblade4289

This is a much better explanation. I apologize for being lazy with mine. I thought it was clear that your K/D in the locker room was always your kills divided by deaths so I didn't bother to specify that.

Actually, I did say K/D ratio was kills divided by deaths in my first post. However, I didn't feel like repeating myself in my second post. So, I simplified the explanation by saying your career K/D ratio will drop if your match K/D ratio is lower than it which is true. The OP apparently misunderstood what I said thinking I meant your K/D was the your average K/D for every game you've played when I actually meant what you said. Again, I apologize by being lazy and not being very clear in what I meant.
  10. HagenMichiel

HagenMichiel New Member

Your post makes perfect sense.
    Without trying to offend the original poster, his poor sense of statistics is what caused the misunderstanding. Which isn't really a problem, he probably still has a better K/D ration than me.
  11. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

Well i dont think its totaly out of the ordinary to have for example, a k/d ratio of 2.000 you come out of a game having killed more than you died, and yet your statistic updates to a lower stat of 1.947 or something.

Sure you can see where the confusion comes from. You would assume, you killed more than you died, therefore your overall kills to deaths ratio should be higher. Maths was always my weakest subject so maybe ive got the wrong end of the stick :)

I assumed every game did k/d as your kills divided by deaths, and ive never noticed it dropping like this on any other game hence the question.
  12. ChrisMikeRack

ChrisMikeRack New Member

the more I think about it, the more im sure its my poor grasp of maths :D
  13. HagenMichiel

HagenMichiel New Member

If you had a K/D ratio of 2.000 in your game (say 20 kills 10 deaths) than your total K/D ratio should not DROP to 1.947. It could RAISE to 1.947.
    If this is true, the game is broken, and this would indeed be confusing. But i doubt that.
    Last edited: September 10, 2010
  14. Zeromus EG

Zeromus EG New Member

Let's say your current kills are 2000 and your deaths are 1000. 2000/1000 = 2, so your K/D is 2.

You go into a match and go 5 kills / 3 deaths. The K/D for that one match is 5/3 = 1.667.

Your total K/D now is 2005/1003 = 1.99.

For your K/D to stay the same you need to reach it in each match, so you would have to get 1 more kill to go 2006/1003 = 2. If you want it to improve you have to do better than a 2 k/d every match, though when you get to 2000 kills it starts moving quite slowly.
  15. CODYROB55

CODYROB55 New Member

A negative KD (less than 1) will always increase with positive games.
  16. NastyCrustySock

NastyCrustySock New Member

To put it simply, it's not having a positive K/D ratio that raises your K/D every time. You have to score HIGHER in the match than your overall K/D ratio to make it go up. If you score LOWER in the match than your overall K/D ratio, it will go down.