Sniper vs Assassin, who's harder to play, winner?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Bambam Bm, September 2, 2010.

1. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

First up - Sniper

My first three matches = 21-1, 17-0, 42-2. As a beginner sniper i thought these were extremely easy to achieve with little threat to me by other players.

2-3 Traps is over the limit i would think. As playing as a Sniper i would just sit on 1 trap to keep me protected from Assassins, and have 2 others purely as a way to trap other players for easy headshots. at a distance. And draining skills and grapple i have no fear running up to a frozen player, laugh in their face, then OMGBBQSauce Pwn them with my grapple.

Flak seems to be the only balanced part of the sniper. As it does very little damage, easily avoidable, Although it is used to get players out of corners to shoot them. Great against bots.

Grapple is too strong? I have to say it is playing as a Sniper. Laughing at the fact that it is the strongest grapple in the game, plus it has a throw. How the Assassin's main's of attacking is grappling, you would think her grapple would be the strongest? Not so. As a sniper, having the throw ability added with only spending 150$ instead of 550$ is too much. Everyone can easily get the 150$ to purchase the throw. Getting the 550$ will take more time throughout the game to get. Assault's and Gunner's grapple doesn't throw until paying 550$ for the 3rd upgrade.

Penetrating bullets? Getting head shots in the back of the head? Where armor is? This was extremely funny for me as where other classes should have been protected, they really weren't adding much more kills to my career that shouldn't of been.

Sniper - Very easy to play, easily made to rack up the kills with little deaths. Sniper's play style? Hide and Seek

Second up - Assassin

Don't get me wrong, i am a fairly good Assassin, take a look at my signature for my best Assassin matches. Different than a Sniper, the Assassin actually puts herself in the danger of the battlefield, knowing while attacking someone, another play may come out of nowhere and kill you.

Cloak - Many of you will argue that going invisible is overpowered without an argument, But Cloak is easily seen when paying attention, the Cloak distorts the visibility behind her, seeing a 'cloud' if you will of distortion is easy to detect. Now if you complain that they are behind you, The hum is fairly loud to hear and every class has an easy counter for Assassin's cloak. Paying $550 will get you auto critical shots with your Shuriken Launcher while coming out of cloak which primarily only comes in handy against Turrets.

Sprint - Sprint won't save an Assassin as much as you might think, sure it makes you run fast, but it is mainly used to get close to a player quickly for a grapple.

Smoke bomb - The blind effect is almost always forgotten. No Assassin will use the smoke bomb to blind an enemy player, they will primarily use it just as a getaway.

Passive Ability - Sword vs Dagger - The sword is stronger no argument. But how much better? Not quiet that much better. Now playing against players who use Gold armor endorsements the sword is absolutely necessary.

Gremlins - good boost, but its not their 'player' its a bot, easily killed.

The Assassin is fairly easy to kill, by any class as her weak armor, even with a Gold Endorsement.

Assassin play style? Snake, might not see her til she bites.

Who's easier to play? Sniper, you will get much more kills than the Assassin (usually) and almost Always have less deaths. Snipers only have to fear other Snipers. Assassins have to fear every class out there.

Who's harder to play? Assassin, its much easier to die and your constantly on the battlefield. Simple mistakes will quickly add up to a lot of deaths.

Ultimately it comes down to which one are you better at. But it is easier to pickup a Sniper over Assassin.

Anyone argue's this? Have some facts to show why.
  2. Cerberus150

Cerberus150 New Member

I agree with you, but inb4flamewar.
  3. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

I have to say it seems that you went into this little test a bit biased. I say that because, for one, you talk down the assassin's bot which is pretty decent, while ignoring that the sniper has easily the worst bot in the game. Also, there last part of your signature tipped me off as well.

This doesn't seem right to me. You must have been playing against some pretty unskilled players, because most classes have an attack that will tear apart the sniper at close range. The tank's spin and the support's shotgun can both one hit the sniper, and the gunner's minigun will take out the sniper at that range in less than a second. I'm not saying that these character's aren't defenseless against the easy headshot, but I don't think it's accurate to say that you can just run up and grapple them with no possibility of them fighting back.

Finally, I find fault with how you compare the two classes based on how high of a kill death ratio you can rack up. It was my impression that the game's goal is to destroy the enemy's moneyball rather than get as many kills as possible.
  4. xl G h o S 7 lx

xl G h o S 7 lx New Member

you cant compare the assassin to the sniper class kill wise. Assassins are for mainly clearing bot lanes and snipe can do this and kill people easier
  5. LeeringPaladin

LeeringPaladin New Member

The one thing I do not get about the Sniper is that it's supposed to be a long range pro but yet can kill everyone who gets close.

Life 1: Long range dead
    Life 2: Go to where sniper is camping get hit by freeze trap that you don't see and get killed by a headshot
    Life 3: Go back to the sniper see the freeze trap but can't do anything to avoid it because you can't set it off without getting hit my it so you try to jump it fail and die the same way as the previous life or get hit with that ball that damges people and die.
    Life 4: Spawn as claas that has a jetpack to avoid freeze trap get close to the sniper and he uses the uber grapple on you.
    It's a lose lose game.
  6. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

when i play sniper i play hardmode meaning i only upgrade grapple for the defense on only shoot for headshots and often when i could kill people i will let them heal to get another chance at a headshot. i also dont use freeze traps near myself. yet i have never gone negative as a sniper.... its sad how easy they are especially if u are used to sniping in other games
  7. L3377MA573R

L3377MA573R New Member

Yes, it is the main goal, but I think that people would probably go for it more if it actually gave them anything.

I've stopped worrying so much about winning games these days and have ultimately had a lot more fun with the game. Look at my sig and you'll see the best game I ever had. I would have gone 56-3 if I hadn't decided to help my team out by exposing myself and attacking the moneyball, where I managed to empty about 5-10 SMG clips each time before promptly being torn to bloody ribbons. Was I rewarded in any way? Nope.

I know this is going to probably start an entirely different argument, so I'll keep it on topic.

Sniper traps are a bit OP IMO. In one of the worst games I ever played, on the LazeRazer Arena, snipers worked together to destroy us. 1 sniper focused on laying traps all around our spawn, while the other sat up in a trap-surrounded perch by the lift and just waited for us to try and leave. Boom, trapped. Boom, headshot. I think the Assassin would be more balanced if they did something to at least slightly nerf traps, anything from making them disappear after a while making them explode under gunfire to simply limiting the recharge timer. At least that way my team would have had a chance.

Sure, we could have changed classes to assassins and smoke-bomb jumped our way over to him, but since we lose all of our upgrades when we change classes, it severely limits your capabilities, especially since you can't queue a class change from the start menu, and with the short respawn timer, it can be easy to accidentally get stuck with the same mispicked class.
  8. Lagoon7

Lagoon7 New Member

Although i can smell the bias a mile away in the first post.

The fact that its true cant be denied.

Ive played both recently so il throw in my two bits. Assassin is much harder to learn to use properly, this is not a debate. She has to know how to combat every class in every situation while pushing the lanes and damaging turrets. A good assassin also keeps an eye out for the annihilator.

Sniper? Place Freeze Mines --> Snipe. They get close and hit a mine? Grapple/SMG/Flak.

Also its true that if the sniper is good and knows what he is doing with trap placement, he will not be killed by an assassin, ever.

Well, maybe if the whole enemy team played sin and threw themselves at him at once.
  9. Rawfulll

Rawfulll New Member

I lold at the last line.
  10. tadpole1290

tadpole1290 New Member

comes down to the player ultimatly they both have many good traits about them and both are really good tank busters
  11. Zelandia

Zelandia New Member

Sorry to break this to you, but Assassins suck against tanks. Or at least that's my experience with them. They can never been grapple killed when they are at full health even from behind. The lunge grapple does work, but that's if it's pulled off correctly.

But wait, that's getting nerfed too.
  12. Rawfulll

Rawfulll New Member

Sure, a lunge + grapple is perfect...

If the connection is perfect, that is.
  13. Zelandia

Zelandia New Member

Exactly.
  14. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

If body shots (Sniper) did less damage it would be even, for sure.
    Once you get good at headshots and hitting the target with the rifle, Sniper is pretty easy; this is in comparison to what you have to achieve to get a Back Grapple with Assassin on a bunch of good players. If body shots did less and it was 'Headshot or nothing' Sniper would be very difficult.

IMO, 'Ease' of class goes:

Gunner
    Sniper
    Support
    Assault
    Tank
    Assassin