Team Distribution is broken

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by Cornstalk, August 27, 2010.

1. Cornstalk

Cornstalk New Member

For the last two days, every time I join a game... it can't seem to balance the teams by level. Sure, you can say level doesn't mean much, but this is what pretty much happens every time:

ICEMEN

Hotshots

At first I thought "This must just be a group of people playing together". But that really doesn't seem to be the case after ~30 games in which this has happened.

A team with all levels 40+ are clearly going to dominate a team with half the players 15 and under. It's not even a fun match up which just leads to rage quitting and random people coming in to a game where their team is already failing... which leads to more rage quitting.

Shouldn't it try to balance the teams based on total of levels?
  2. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

levels dont mean skill just how much u play. and since u can level up in single player its an even worse indicator of skill.
  3. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

I'm pretty sure there is a coded portion of the game that will match players together based on skill. Its SUPPOSED to prevent players that are grossly overpowered from teaming up on players that are new ... but I dont know all the mumbo jumbo that went into it.

I will say that I'm seeing the same thing. I've gotten steamrolled the last 15-20 games I've played where I was the only player 30+ on my team (i'm 52) against a team of ALL 40+ players.
  4. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

Matchmaking utilizes TrueSkill to even out the teams. However, there are some variables that the devs have no control over. For example, it tries not to split people up who are in parties and people at the lower levels haven't played enough games to have an accurate TrueSkill ranking.
  5. Cornstalk

Cornstalk New Member

By that reasoning, shouldn't people with no trueskill be evenly distibuted between the teams? So 4 of them means 2 for each team? It seems far too convinient that every game the hight level players are stacked against the low level. I can't be playing against parties every game...
  6. UberGunner

UberGunner New Member

Sure you can. Why play with random riff raff when you can play with a team of friends?
  7. Knight actual

Knight actual New Member

even if we accept that levels do not equate skill there is still the morale effect.

Games are supposed to be fun and make you feel good.

Seeing the other team populated with high levels as compared to your own, especially if you are man down is a downer. No fun.

What does Trueskill take into account?

ps.

Checked out the trueskill page - seems it uses only the team result to estimate player ability. I'd say that player level, problematic as it is, is a better estimate of player ability.