Assassin back grapple issue.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Feedback and Issues' started by metalsnake27, August 26, 2010.

1. metalsnake27

metalsnake27 New Member

Has anyone has noticed that sometimes an assassin will run straight at you then out of nowhere they will back stab you??

Ive realized that when an assassin is running at me, as soon as she gets to me she will go to the side of me quickly grapple, and do a back grapple from the front...... kind of annoying really....
  2. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

Its also annoying when if you play as an Assassin and you back grapple someone, and it turns into a front grapple and you die because of a bug. Which would also apply to your case, but just the opposite. Uber has confirmed this but has no plans on fixing it as they don't really "like" talking about this problem as they don't have a fix and don't plan on fixing it. They replyed on my forum about it before.
  3. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It's not a bug, it's a lag related issue that's working as well as it can.

As I talked about before, "back" is defined as opposite the direction the player is aiming, not necessarily the direction the player's back is facing.

The main issues come down to the realities of the internet. You have two clients that are seeing the game from slightly different points in time.

In the situations viewed from a player getting back grappled from the front, the player sees an assassin still running at them when the assassin may have actually already run past them when they grappled.

In the situation viewed from an assassin going for a back grapple and getting a front grapple, the assassin sees themselves running up to a player looking the other way and getting the surprise grapple. From the point of view of the victim, they may have turned at the last moment toward the assassin either by chance or hearing the sound of the cloak.

In these situations, who's correct? If it's always the grappler, the assassin will always get a back grapple. If it's the grapplee, assassins will almost never get a back grapple. With modern games it's up to the server to decide.

The only way to make this better is for players connect to better servers when they play so everyone's latency is as low and equal as possible. Part of that is on us and Microsoft, but a larger part really comes down to how many people are playing the game. A game with a few million players have a much larger pool of servers to choose from, and even for those games there's a good chance you'll get a bad server.
  4. Amaranth

Amaranth New Member

So my character is facing "forward" and I'm looking "backward," a backstab to my character's back becomes a frontal assault?

I get the rest of the issue, that the gaming experience online isn't truly in synch from user to user and a target may have moved, etc. but that seems rather counter-intuitive and a really weird way of deciding things.
  5. broncoburns

broncoburns New Member

I think what bgolus meant was that a player's back is defined by the opposite direction that they're looking. A front grapple would occur because the player would have turned around at the last instant, but you wouldn't have seen it due to some good ol' fashioned internet latency.
  6. Vike113

Vike113 New Member

It will be hard to fix so I'd say find a better connection, this will help with lunges too.
  7. Bambam Bm

Bambam Bm New Member

Gotta love the players with 8+ sensitivity.. they should never get back grappled
  8. Vike113

Vike113 New Member

8? :shock: Even 2 is too fast for me sometimes.
  9. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

qft especially with that crazy loud hum the cloak makes

lol i play on 9 only cuz 10 is broken