Needs to be said - SMNC is a TERRIBLE business decision

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by Undercover_Thudercat, October 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

Hi, I'm Snarf, and this is me giving Uber a reality check. Uber, you are an awesome gaming developing company. You came up with a cool, unique concept in mixing DotA with FPS. You made an incredibly fun game out of that, one of the most successful arcade games of all time for 360. In fact, it sold over 220,000 copies since its release. Despite being released OVER A YEAR AGO, it has garnered an unbelievable cult following in its community, and despite not being updated in almost a year, it still has an unbelievably loyal fanbase, as well as regular competitive matches.

Now, we realize that you guys cannot get us updated for 360 because it's an arcade game. We pretty much accept that MNC 360 will forever be as it is. We still LOVE the game, we are addicted to the community and the people inside, and you can still find multiple public lobbies at pretty much any time of the day, a year after its release.

But, as developers, you decide that you want to be able to customize your game and give it support so that your fans and customers can enjoy their game more. Understandable. So you come out with the PC version of MNC. But Uber, even with the support you were giving that game, it still died within pretty much half a year on the PC. Yet after all that time the PC got its updates and support, the 360 community was striving without any of it.

Now here's what baffles me. I see an advertisement for Super Monday Night Combat - a PC Game, developed by Uber, using MNC characters is going to be made, going into the DotA Genre. Whaaaa? How could you guys be so insane? Look at your fanbase. Look at where you made the real money. Why in the hell would you shoot for another PC game when pretty much all of your success has been on the 360? You are simply going after the wrong market. You have an extremely loyal fanbase in the 360. We have created a community and developed a meta game to YOUR GAME that nobody on the PC truly understands.

But let's pause for a second and back up a little bit. Dota Genre, eh? You guys decided to say "**** out unique concept that we created...we're just gonna scratch out the creativity we put into our game and make another, unoriginal point and click League of Legends. But people will like it better because there are guns and silly Mickey Canter 1 liners instead of magic and swords!"

Come on. Let's face the facts - League of Legends is FREE, and a HUGE success. It's gotten PC game of the year award, as a free game, by a ton of different big-shot websites. Hell, it's created by the guys who made DotA; in other words, the creators of League of Legends literally created the entire genre.

Speaking DotA, have you heard of DotA 2? Yeah, those creators of DotA are making another DotA game, which will put even MORE competition into the DotA genre (isn't nice to be able to make a game and name it after the genre? That's what happens when you create a genre of video games).

You had from a unique concept where there was pretty much no competition inside of your own genre. It had first person shooter elements that required FPS skill. It had DotA elements that required strategy, teamwork, and map control. It had cool, class based characters that all specialized in completely different things, with really fun skills. MNC was original and it didn't really have a true competitor because it wasn't just a shooter, and it wasn't just a DotA game. You're throwing that away for a game that will be remarkably similar to a game that has already swept the market. Ever here if I Can Play Guitar?

So let me get this straight, Uber. You are abandoning a borderline cult-following of a loyal fanbase you have on the 360, to adhere to your much weaker fanbase on the PC, to create a new game that is using a much less original concept, in a genre that's got a titanium door of a barrier to entry?

I'm speaking to you strictly from a business perspective. What you guys should actually be doing is playing your own game on the 360, getting to know the 360 meta game like your competitive fan base knows it, and work on a disc adaptation to Monday Night Combat instead of your PC game. Super Monday Night Combat should have simply been a 360 console sequel, using the same concept with maybe a few more classes, a bunch of new maps, and maybe any new additions that you as the creative game producers could think of to make the game better.

I urge you to rethink what you're doing with Super MNC; not only do I predict that it will be a failure, but I predict that it will be a colossal failure. However, if you look at the points I have made, and take into action what I have recommended, I do believe you guys could develop an incredible game that could fare extremely well, especially if marketed correctly.
  2. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Thanks for your insight but we're not making a point and click game. It's plays like MNC.
  3. Vlane

Vlane New Member

This thread is hilariously bad.
  4. Velijah

Velijah New Member

agree
  5. Awpteamoose

Awpteamoose Active Member

I came here to troll everything but there's too much even for me.
  6. damondium

damondium New Member

Let's see. Hmm. Navigating over to to http://www.uberent.com . Watching awesome SMNC video. Reminded that the audio is worthy of a 3 min track (please?!) . Pausing to catch breath. Watching again!

Re-reads original post.

:shock:
  7. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Thank you Snarf! That was the most entertaining post I have read in a long time. :lol:

I'm going to read the whole thing again!
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

inb4 Teapot counts the trolls.
  9. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

one word:

post.
  10. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

thats three
  11. MrHTRW

MrHTRW New Member

Ya you're right, we don't understand the meta game of being bad.
  12. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We're quite comfortable with our current direction. Thank you for your devotion and your input.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.