Any more from you and I'll bang your bloody heads together.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by PlumbumTheEpic, August 27, 2011.

1. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

This is about the endless PC vs. X360 arguments. They need to end. There are reasons to use an Xbox and reasons to use a PC.

Cost:
    A PC will cost you more. That is a fact that won't change - to keep up with PC gaming, you have to either buy a rig that could cost you in excess of 1000 or get a cheaper machine and then spend forever buying parts to replace other parts as they get outdated. My laptop cost me 500 less than a year ago, and I'm fairly certain it's 1st generation i3 is already outdated (correct me if I'm wrong, but I get framerate lag on TF2 at it's lowest settings). To buy an Xbox could cost me as little as 80 (pre-owned, Gamestation with 20GB HDD). Even with games at 40 a pop (if you always go and buy brand new games) and 40 a year Xbox Live I'm sure it would take a long, long time to match the outlay for a PC.

Controller:
    There is no doubt; a mouse and keyboard is the best control scheme for shooting games, hands down, but here, even the muggle's controller has it's advantages - it's better for a lot of other kinds of games. Playing a racing game (partial throttle or steering) or a fighting game (buttons all over the place) is an exercise in futility on a M+KB and . I'm even hesitant to give RTSes to a M+KB, since if you play a console RTS designed from the start to be a console RTS (e.g. Halo Wars) you will find no issue.

Graphics:
    A PC can support higher levels of graphics than a console, but this does require a huge cash outlay. Lower-end machines will be much more blocky and horrid than any console.

Other neat softwarey bits:
    PCs are a fuckton more moddable. So if you're into mods, there's no alternative. But if you want to play the game as is, that's a non-issue. There are a lot of software bits for a PC - I find even using Skype whilst I'm playing TF2 with my friends (yes, I have friends, hard to believe innit?) is a massive boon. So yes, software-wise, PCs are a lot more worthy.

TL;DR: We all bought our respective machines for our respective reasons; nobody is right or wrong. Please stop bitching.
  2. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

The only reason I ditched my Xbox for a PC is because P2P hosting is crap and I was tired of it.
  3. PlumbumTheEpic

But the point I'm trying to get across is THAT'S YOUR REASON and you shouldn't be flamed or trolled by us 360 players for it.
  4. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

TF2 is badly optimized, with all the hats they added :(
  5. Coookie

Coookie New Member

Your first comparision is already wrong. How can you compare a console to a portable device?

2nd comparing a brand new high-end gaming PC (1000pounds) to a used xbox360. Used PC's do accually exist and you really don't need a 1000pound PC to run new games. My 4 year old PC runs everything just fine and it didn't even cost near 1000pounds.

3rd. You can accually buy more powerful hardware for a lower price as the xbox360 is having.

4th. My CPU is older as the i3, i5 and i7 and I can run TF2 just fine with full settings. The lag you are experiencing should clearly not come from the CPU. It's either another hardware issue or you just messed up your own PC.

5th. You now suggest that a xbox360 is almost like a replacement for the PC, but since you probably need a PC anyway (atleast everybody I know needs it). You only have to spend a bit more money on your next PC or get a hardware upgrade.

6th. You can plug in a 360 controller in your PC and it will directly work on a ton of games.
  6. PlumbumTheEpic

Please tell me what bits you're referring to, I get the 1st, 2nd and 4th points but the rest seem plucked out of the air. Also, go careful not to turn this thread into you being PC elitist. I would prefer it didn't happen.
  7. Coookie

Coookie New Member

I'm not trying to turn this thread. I'm just not letting you post a thread with wrong information. If I wanted it to turn it I would be able to point out atleast 10 more things in favor of a certain platform.

5th part is pointing towards you referring to the PC almost if it was a game platform only.
    6th part is referring to the part where you compare a mouse+keyboard against a controller (in a thread about PC vs 360 arguments. My point is that the PC is not only bound to a controller or mouse+keyboard.

The advantages for the 360 obviously lie somewhere else. As in stuff like being more userfriendly (ie, suitable for kids).
  8. Goose

Goose Active Member

The hardware in the xbox is horribly overpriced, all of cookie's information is correct. I'm not going to go out and find the proof.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Cost: You're almost certainly going to have a PC anyway for non gaming purposes, so the cost you should consider is not the total price of a gaming machine, but the difference between a gaming machine and what you would have otherwise.

Controller: PCs can use a much wider variety of controllers, including the 360 controller

Hosting: Dedicated servers are a billion times better than peer hosting for games like this. When I moved from MNC360 to the steam version, this was the best improvement I saw, even better than changing to kb/mouse controls. Less lag, more stable, more fair (no host advantage).

Updates: It's clear that MS is a pain in the *** for developers looking to update their games more than once. The one update that MNC has been able to get on 360 had an excruciatingly long delay in Microsoft's hands. On steam, they can update as often as they want with no delays.

Framerate: Related to graphics as far as cost/benefit, but much more important because it actually affects gameplay. Playing MNC on 360, the game would occasionally grind down to an unplayable slideshow during busy firefights, particularly when lots of turrets are firing. With a combination of a decent PC and a good config, you can get a much more playable and better looking solid 60 fps.
  10. Goose

Goose Active Member

Not to mention how much the Annihilator brutally raped the framerate...
  11. Patch

Patch New Member

Shut up and buy both so you can enjoy the exclusives.

If you can't afford it, use the time you'd spend squabbling on a part time job. This argument has been going on since Usenet...before some of you were born.
  12. Vlane

Vlane New Member

A good gaming PC costs you about 700 which is about 620 I think.

Not really outdated but there are newer ones out, though most games rely on a good GPU, not a CPU.
  13. Zatchmo

Zatchmo Active Member

Vlane help me! I'm actually going out looking for a laptop for school, but I vant eet to run ze online gamez! I don't know vat to do!

Brb, going to the bank.
  14. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

Help this guy out!

And a sidenote, Source games are CPU heavy and 1 thing that they could really improve on is the loading times.
  15. Vlane

Vlane New Member

But who will help me then?
  16. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

EDIT: Fact.

Dutch people suck at quoting.
  17. aflyingtaco

aflyingtaco Member

so you're saying stuff without proof

lolololol
  18. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Google "xbox 360 bill of materials". The hardware seems overpriced but you're dealing with rather proprietary hardware so you can't actually compare it.
  19. ekimr

ekimr New Member

You framerate is probably low due to the lack of discrete graphics and not the processor. I have the same issue with my game engine project on my laptop (running an HDR graphics pipeline, as opposed to regular forward rendering, 20fps versus 40 fps, repsectively), granted I have a C2D and not an i3.
  20. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You can compare other hardware like the M$ certified external harddrives for the Xbox though. Last time I checked the were overpriced. And the controller sucks for $40 or whatever they take atm.