My theory: Why people quit MNC

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by zarakon, July 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

Counter Strike still gains and retains players despite being hard and older than dirt and it has a high and unforgiving skill curve.

Starcraft 2 is probably one the hardest games today and probably THE hardest mainstream game out right now and it has tons of players.

The rising MOBA genre that MNC is tentatively part of is blowing up in a huge way. Tons of people play League of Legends which requires a great deal of learning. You have to know what all the heroes do and the items and what to do in the various stages of the game. And hell most people play on that one EXACT SAME MAP with the three lanes to boot.

It's not about getting owned or learning. People are more than willing to tolerate the former and do the latter...IF they feel like they can and will do better. Monday Night Combat does not facilitate learning nor does it make the player feel like his inputs matter. So many things in this game are trap choices or feel arbitrary.
  2. Vlane

Vlane New Member

A lot of people don't actually play CS but rather a mod.
    CS is also only hard because it relies a lot on aiming.

In SC2 you generally don't get put up against a player that is so much more better than you, that's why there are leagues.

I don't disagree, but I also don't agree.
  3. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

because it's mainstream

it's also too mainstream

because it's also mainstream

srsly though, CS is hard because of the twitch aim skills, which people can improve on and the maps are relatively sinple, plus the for-fun modded maps as Vlane mentioned

as for SC2 and LoL, they have a match-making system. it doesn't matter if it puts ppl against others of similar skill level (never played SC2 so can't tell, but LoL does have a nice match-making, despite smurf accounts, which happens in most free-to-play games), the fact that they think they're playing against equally skilled players encourages them to keep trying.

so... we need a match-making system for MNC :D
  4. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

"Mainstream" is one of those words that changes meaning depending upon who is using it. Like if you said mainstream in terms of being "dumbed down for casuals" I would disagree on the first 2 utterly and on the latter I would say while more simplified the MOBA style is has a naturally high learning curve regardless because of the sheer number of choices and variables.

If you mean Mainstream in terms of popular as in the circular "it's popular because it's popular" I would also disagree because the Call of Duty games which epitomize "it's popular because it's popular" die off as soon as the next iteration is out. In other words being "mainstream" doesn't guarantee a long life.

More obscure titles like ARMA and Red Orchestra do not fit either of these mainstream definitions and yet still retain an audience. And anyway CS, Starcraft, and DoTA did not spawn into mainstream. They had to start somewhere. They are still here because they are solid and people enjoy them.

There's only so far you can take apologia for MNC. The point I'm trying to make is that you have games that are harder skill wise or harder with regards to learning and they have great success. MNC is not a unique flower in those things. It suffers because the flaws outweigh what's great about it and people voted with their feet.
  5. AlphabetTaco

AlphabetTaco New Member

Being a good sniper I think a relatively simple solution is to send a decent assault at them that can avoid ice traps. I tend to run away backwards praying that my quickscopes can get some damage in at a close range-bunny-hoppin black guy. so scary. :cry:
  6. Vlane

Vlane New Member

The person above me doesn't understand the problem.
  7. hobo-with-a-shotgun

hobo-with-a-shotgun Active Member

People play CS because they are diehards and love the game. It also relies less on your teammates doing their jobs than MNC does, so you share more blame for a loss than you would in a MNC round.

People play SC2 because it's a popular RTS and people usually get to play others of their own skill level.

People play LoL because it's free and, again, there is an ELO system. Although that doesn't stop solo queue from being a shitstorm of badness.

People don't play MNC because no-one does their job in pubs, so get frustrated when they lose, leading to them not wanting to get better and find fairer matches.
  8. AlphabetTaco

AlphabetTaco New Member

Out of curiosity, do you intend to trash talk me every time I post something?
    Feel free to honestly. It's just a little irritating that you're wasting people's time having to read your comments just because you aren't a fan of me. I was commenting on how one complained a sniper making their friends stop playing.
  9. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Well, you don't understand the problem since you haven't read anything in this and the other threads so I can point out it out.
  10. AlphabetTaco

AlphabetTaco New Member

I kind of read through them before I comment.
  11. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Then you should know that your post didn't actually help the discussion. Please move along sir.
  12. teapot

teapot Post Master General

oh the irony :lol:
  13. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Hey, hey, I am known to do this.
  14. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

@FatCatAttack: i meant "mainstream" in no specific way and wasn't serious about it at all. :p

i meant what i said after "srsly though" though
  15. NeriVal

NeriVal New Member

I love how predictable these threads are. They always attract the pretentious dickery of "Oh they come from [insert easy game here], our game is hard and they can't take it".

If I had to pick one thing, ONE THING in this game that drove me to stop playing it, it is snipers. Once people actually got into the groove of playing that bastard, the fun value of the game dropped like a rock made out of the most dense material you can think of. The game was a lot more fun before people figured out how to play it, as silly as that sounds.
  16. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

goes for assassins too..

now that they've stopped running into my gun, and they just run around hitting ejectors, killing bots behind my back, doing long-range shurikens on turrets/moneyball, and running away whenever someone approaches... really annoying
  17. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Then how do you truly separate who is skilled at doing their job from those who need time to learn?

I agree that roflstomps can be tough. On the one hand I learned how to use the best tactics from seeing them used as well as visiting the forums. On the other a true roflstomp means you see and learn nothing because it happens so fast.
  18. hobo-with-a-shotgun

Sniper gets way too much hate. As annoying as it is, you can still beat a good sniper by just hiding away, building your juice, then pushing out. Assassins are far more annoying. They're backdooring your turrets? Then you have to stay in the base and defend them. They're going after your bots? You have to protect them, but now your turrets are undefended. They've melee'd two bot waves? Good luck stopping them from juicing all your turrets now. They can keep doing that every minute or so too, so don't bother building any more.

Sniper may make you stay behind cover 90% of the time, but a decent assassin forces you to sit in your base THE ENTIRE GAME. Even then, they can STILL rape your entire base by cloaking somewhere quiet and waiting till you've walked off for 10 seconds.

What's even more annoying is that some simple teamwork will beat this, but you'll generally only find this when clans are playing, and even then...

Assassin is the only class that could make me ragequit, because there's basically nothing I alone can do to stop it.
  19. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Just play gunner and kill those assassins. It's not like they have an easy time escaping.
  20. hobo-with-a-shotgun

I did that exact thing with a game against GrayFox yesterday. Got 120+ bot kills, while my team of tanks and assassins didn't get above 30. Pushed the lanes, destroyed turrets, killed all their 3 assassins over and over, but they pushed a few bots in when I got backstabbed and their sins just kept pinging the ball until it was downed.

shitsux.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.