Why the Sniper doesn't work in MNC (PC)

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Mavajo, August 1, 2011.

1. MrHTRW

MrHTRW New Member

^
  2. daztora

daztora New Member

Yeah good point Valve make better map's.
  3. Vlane

Vlane New Member

4. daztora

daztora New Member

You speak as If TF2 launched with no maps, even the stock ones aren't bad.

And some of the community ones aren't that great either. Coldfront Is my only favourite community map as of late, goes down to personal preference though. Seem's a bit too Payload heavy right now though. No pun intended.
  5. Memorable

Memorable New Member

It's basically pointless to fight with snipers on this forum. They obviously don't feel the frustration of being killed by a sniper instantly, at any range, as most of us do.

No sniper server is the only server I'll play on until something is done with the sniper. (or, I hope)
  6. Awpteamoose

Awpteamoose Active Member

No sniper server is heavyfest, no sniper is also bad.
  7. Dubblebass

Dubblebass New Member

It is funny how all these absolutes come out when they aren't necessarily true.

When I was playing on the sniperless server, we still had a sin and 2 supports on our team. It was the most fun I had in game in the past 2-3 weeks.
  8. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

I did see more people playing gunner on the no sniper server than normal but I agree Memorable and Dubble. Most fun I've had on MNC in a long time. I won't be playing on any other servers until sniper is balanced (tourney aside if we get that going of course).
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

heavy-fest is a lot better than sniper-fest

At least with a lot of heavies around, ****'s gonna get done! Snipers just push the game toward stalemate.
  10. chrisab429

chrisab429 Member

I disagree with the frustration statement. The only way a sniper can become good is to die...constantly. I consider myself a strong sniper in this game and even with as much experience and roflstomps as I have, my overall k/d is under 2.0, now granted i'm much more aggressive than most snipers so I die even more. That doesn't stop the bitching though.

snipers die all the freaking time, even the best ones.

The issue is in the comparisons. People who are used to going 30-1 without a great sniper will go 30-9 and 8 of them will be completely unavoidable, caused by a sniper's quickscope, or a ridiculous distance while they were flying or something. They'll still kill the sniper 15 times and he'll go 25-20 while getting continuously bitched at about how OP he is when he's not even leading the team in kills, money, bots, or pushing, all he's doing is trying is hardest to keep the freaking assaults from raping his team, the heavies from raping the world, and the assassins from raping his bots, half the time I'm even responsible for keeping the firebases out of key positions and keeping aggressive supports at bay in general.

Deaths don't mean much in this game, it's an inconvenience at most. The frustrating part is not being able to stop it, but the flip side of this is that snipers can't stop themselves from dying consistently either, and 90% of those deaths are completely unavoidable unless you're sitting in the base. I've not seen any of the great snipers do this consistently though.

The most impact a sniper will have in a game is when his team is terrible, he's got to keep everyone at bay or the match ends. If he's playing good enough the match goes on and maybe his team can organize something, or at worst keep it going until overtime. If he's not good enough let the roflstomp commence, and the following ragequit.

Yes, snipers are great at killing people, thats why they're so strong in comparison to other games. But the other pros are freaking amazing at killing people too if you compare to other games, especially the assault.

TL/DR: have you guys played sniper? **** is not easy or comforting, you're on the razor's edge of death the entire game. High kills and high deaths are the name of the game. Annoyance is the problem, but snipers are much more annoying to play than to die to. the difference is that snipers don't get annoyed by that because we've never not died, that's always been the price we pay.
  11. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I mainly play gunner at this point (sin is boring now) and I believe that I have to be a lot more careful when I play against a good sniper because I am on the razer's edge then, not that skinny guy on the other side of the map who jerks off and kills people every time he gets an orgasm.
  12. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

not feeding is a good thing
  13. chrisab429

chrisab429 Member

so your problem with the sniper is that you have to play better when he's around?

k.
  14. Vlane

Vlane New Member

No, my problem is that he can get kills without actually taking part in the battle and kill me just because he sees me for a split-second.

Oh, and constantly dieing as a sniper means you're bad. Missed that earlier.
  15. MrHTRW

MrHTRW New Member

It's pretty much this.
  16. daztora

daztora New Member

Played on a no Sniper server, didn't have a problem with heavies. Favorited the server, cool ******* story.
  17. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

I'm going to laugh if more 0-sniper servers start popping up. It takes almost all of the rage out of the game for me. I guess it doesn't have to be balanced if there are plenty of populated no-sniper servers. I can probably host one myself in a month or two when I move.
  18. bluekachina

bluekachina Member

I'm with Vlane on this one.
    With the other classes, you can typically egg them on enough for them to use up the skill that they have that threatens you. With the sniper, there's no doing that because their main threat is not a skill, but rather their primary weapon.

My recommendation would be to slow the sniper's movement while scoped (much like the gunner is slowed while spinning miniguns), to make zooming in less instantaneous (making quickscoping more difficult), and to automatically zoom out after each shot fired. This still maintains all of the sniper's skills, while lessening his ability to wreak havoc. After all, if you're a sniper, you should be able to nail the first and only shot right?
  19. daztora

daztora New Member

He already walks when he's scoped his movement isn't the problem.
  20. chrisab429

chrisab429 Member

And do your really think you'll have less rage when I kill you with a rifle that zooms out every time i fire? I pretty much do this anyway...

same thing goes for the sway idea, OP isn't the problem, your annoyance and frustration is. The change you need is to keep me from killing you.