Wow, So many new players!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by marceloxlr, July 6, 2011.

1. corducken

corducken Member

There are links. Steam and the in-game overlays have link to "Forums" however they link to the SPUF, not these forums, and the SPUF is woefully inactive.

Only the in-game overlay has a link to the website, and it probably just links to the uber entertainment home page.
  2. Kel

Kel New Member

Yeah, max. 30m should fix that. Coding something like this is at easy as it looks like.
  3. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

If it were up to me I would rework the main menu UI along with it.

BTW anyone know how to disable the loading menu videos? I hear it decreases loading time.
  4. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

i can honestly say that after 3 hours of spamming hints and tips to new players i can honestly say im over it not one person listened, and in that only 1 asked a question "how do i upgrade skills" dont know if they ever did as they never replied when i asked

the only reply i received over chat was a lvl 20 insisting that he knows more about assassin than me when i told them that assassins are not invisible and that they can be heard from a mile away

so i will just go back to playing support healing gunners trying to machine gun turrets while getting 300 bot kills with my firebase and shotgunning face huggers sigh
  5. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

In the end, experience itself is the best tutor.
  6. Kel

Kel New Member

Tell me!

I think it was in DefaultEngine.ini or in HostileEngine.ini
    -----------
    [FullScreenMovie]
    bForceNoMovies=TRUE
  7. NeoCyberman

I removed the movie files
  8. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

speaking of movie files why did uber hide the "how to play crossfire" video?
    that should have a big flashing neon sign on the main menu until it has been watched
    it explains pretty much everything about crossfire yet if someone didnt show the video on here i wouldnt even know it existed
  9. NeoCyberman

You know I want a new main menu configuration. I'll come up with something.
  10. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

could we get an assassin load screen of her killing bots? with the protip saying something about it? o_O
  11. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

join me and hitler (still no idea why my friend has that name) in grappling noobie assassins as tank or gunner, its fun :D
  12. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

i would but as you might have noticed the fer times we have played together due to a latency or lag issue out grappling a lunging sin is almost impossible for me
    thats why i either use tank charge, assault charge-grapple or shotgun support
    pancake gunner works too best is 3 sins at once just hover and they swarm to you then splat :D
    maybe i will give grapple tank another go
  13. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

There are tons of new players indeed, which is great.
    I have so many options in regards to servers now.
    Last night 2 Japanese servers were full and one was filling (please make an official Japanese server Uber Entertainment).

But the new guys are very cocky.
    One Assassin, level ~33, always taunted after luck-killing my Assassin (feel free to bully KimJongIl if you encounter him).

But I am super-nice to the new guys in order to get them to stick around.
    One guy was saying, Please let me be Assassin I suck with everything else.
    I gave him Assassin since it is not my main anyway. Next round someone else took his Assassin and I told that guy he should play his secondary class if any and let the new guy have his way, because new players are the future of the game. That guy gave up Assassin and everyone was happy.
    (Then the new guy added me an Steam and engaged in what I consider inappropriate chat but anyway)

It may be time to make that instant-chatter that lets you give tips at a push of a button.
    Ekanaut did not reply to my PM asking if Uber Entertainment has a problem with me making it, and it appears there is no risk of being banned by using it.

For all of you getting frustrated at giving tips to newbies, what I have found to be most effective is simply to spam this forums link and tell them they can find tips and tricks here and become better players.
    When I make the tool, that will be one of the hotkeys.

L. Spiro
  14. corducken

corducken Member

I actually really like this idea.

Maybe keep the loading screens, but fix up protips real nice with its own section and add some low quality (easy to load) gifs. Skip frames, a little pixelated, but easily discernible with HUD disabled. A 5 second loop max. I think full-screen displays could be a little much, but I wouldn't know.

Show off various aspects such as bots, moneyballs, purchases, juice, basic tactics, etc.

I think what it all would really come down to is UberEnt's willingness to put effort into this. I think maybe a community competition to get the best video clips for tutorials or those little .gifs would be a great way to drum up community activity. Have developers specify what they want to see in these clips/videos, they pick the best ones, and they provide professional voice overs for real tutorial videos with their superior recording equipment to make it all seamless. Alternatively they could just record it all themselves, but they'd miss an opportunity to get the community interested.

I think overall, unless someone from Uber comes out and says "yes, we're looking to implement a better tutorial/demonstration system", any discussion is pretty much fruitless. It's been discussed to such ends now that it's painfully obvious that it's desired but nothing's gonna happen unless Uber says so.
  15. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

That video auto plays the first time you load up Crossfire...
  16. corducken

corducken Member

What witchcraft do you speak of?

The first time I loaded up MNC I got a tutorial it didn't even credit me the achievement for and that's absolutely it.
  17. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Really?......REALLY?!

I will say that it did auto play on the 360 version as well as during the PC beta. Could they really have changed it or is my memory really that fuzzy?
  18. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

so what're you wearing wink wink

certainly didnt play for me on pc
    the file is in the movies folder though i just dont know how to get to it through the menu
  19. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

its ok granpda the chair is right over there go take a rest for today

ran into a 5 assassin team, lets just say this, tank against that=lol of course the usual crap was thrown about when i told them to kill bots, when will they learn.....
  20. corducken

corducken Member

*sigh*

It was recycled all right, and it was used as a trailer on Steam.

That's all it is, a carryover from the 360 version. Even has the 360's sound effects from the skill/turret selection menu.

To be honest it's pretty rubbish as a "how to play". It doesn't say much and goes about as in depth as the tutorial did. It shows the basic concept but not how to accomplish anything involved.