Need Noob Advice!

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by jockhockey, July 6, 2011.

1. jockhockey

jockhockey New Member

Hi I bought the game yesterday and played it well into the night, 4AM lol, and am kinda getting the hang of it but I need some help.

1. Ok so first I started playing as assasin but I kept missing my grapples and when I did get them the didn't die just got damaged alot and procceded to unload led into my body. How do I play to kill people is there a secret?

2. I then tried a tank. I failed hard because while I can destroy bots with my beam (The one that has the 360 attack move) I can't say the same for enemy pros. I do little damage and with the single beam my aim is always off. Also I died super easy as when I play against an enemy tank he takes friggen Zues to send a lightning bolt at him before he dies. Hints on that?

3. Gunner is supposedly good at killing pros, but when I played him, I just blew. I was doing little damage and my bullets were going everywhere, each time I deployed everyone just burned me.

Sorry for the long post but I need some advice from a pro!
  2. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Get the katana through your passive. Kills everything with a backgrapple except for tanks with blablabla (don't grapple tanks).
    Don't facestab people, or backgrapple for that matter since the assassin is not a slayer and you should only kill when it's necessary because that person is in your lane killing your bots.

Charge a person and then finish him off with the jet gun.
    Use the railgun for someone who is trying to escape or snipe from a distance.

Always keep your minigun/s spinned up when you think you will encounter pros.
    Only deploy at specific times (i.e. killing people mid range) and even then it's probably a better idea not to unless you run something like gold crits.
    Killing people with the mortar is rather stupid unless juiced.
    Last edited: July 6, 2011
  3. jockhockey

jockhockey New Member

Thanks alot that clears most of my wuestions up, except I forgot one!

I was playing support because I saw how a bunch of them kill me from a huge distance away, how exactly do they do this, no it was not their turret.
  4. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Airstrikes.

Oh, and get the dual miniguns as fast as possible on your gunner (got with passive 3).
  5. Zutsumi

Zutsumi Member

Your Gunner Slam can also pancake pros, requires setup but extremely satisfying once you do so!
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

First I have a question do you upgrade your skills by any chance?

1) This could be for a couple of reasons. The enemy could have a Gold Armor Endorsement which adds on more health then that, and all, classes default amount of health allowing them to take more damage before they are killed.

Every class has a passive skill. It is the gray bottom upgrade while in the radial upgrade menu. The Assassin, at passive level 3 gain a Katana sword which does more damage then her default starting passive level 1 which is a dagger.

The enemy could also have an overheal given by an ally support. It is similar to an armor endorsement meaning it rises the Pros overall health. The main difference is that an overheal fades away and doesn't last forever.

In any case all three of these at the same time could have been the problem.

2) The Tank's main gun, the Jet Gun, does more damage the closer the enemy is to the muzzle. It also has a very limited range.

Now the Tank's Passive Skill adds more health with each level. Tank's also take less damage from fire, which your main gun is.

When Pros are out of the Jet Gun's range it is wise to use his secondary weapon, the Railgun. It's a single shot projectile that does quite a bit of damage. The Railgun is also great for taking out bots from a distance.

3) Again, back to the Passive Skills the Gunner's Passive upgrades both his main and secondary weapon increasing the damage output of both. His main gun, the Minigun, gets a second barrel at Passive level 3. His secondary gun, the Mortar Launcher, gains a split mortar with each level. At Passive level 1 it's just a single mortar. At level 2 the launched shell splits into two and at level 3 it splits into 3.

The minigun has a spin up process and does not do "full damage" until fully spun. Alternate fire will keep the gun spinning without it shooting but while doing so you will walk slower.

As for deploy it leaves you wide open and immobile so try to use it in tight places with decent cover or when you know you can get the kill, hopefully, and undeploy asap.

I hope I cleared some things up. If I haven't ask away. :D
  7. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

First and foremost, Assassins kill Bots. Moving on.

The thing to do as assassin is learn how much health certain enemies have. Once you get a feel for how much damage you do with a grapple, you can risk face grapples if an enemy isn't at top health. 9 times out of 10 you're going to want to lunge before you grapple, this rushed you towards your opponent and deals a good bit of damage so they're softened up before you grapple. If you want to get fancy, you can lunge, switch to shuriken in the middle of it, grapple, and when the grapple ends shoot your opponent to death.
  8. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Supports can hack their turrets to give them range and greater firing ability. They can also hack their base turrets to make them more powerful in the same respect.

If you are attracted more to killing people then gunner or assault is what you may be accustomed to. They are both good slayers that can fill out the objective roles. Though with gunner you need to keep in mind that the opponents turrets must DIE and your mortar is your best friend with that.

Breakdown of class matchups and roles:
    viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10445&p=150857#p150857
  9. DeadStretch

Ahh yes the Assassin's lunge. While her main weapon is equipped using the reload button will have her lunge forward and do a quick attack. The attack after the lunge is done automatically. It is usually wise to lunge into and out of every engage. Either if it is Bots or Pros.

Also attacking from the back with the Assassin does add a multiplier to damage. This is again for both Bots and Pros.
  10. jockhockey

jockhockey New Member

Thanks everyone for clearing this stuff up just a few more,

1. When i get the katana on the Sin will it do more damage with the grapple?
    2. Best class for noobs?
  11. DeadStretch

1) Yes.

2) I would say Assault and/or Support.
  12. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

13. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

I'd say the easiest class is Tank. Death Blossom and Charge ain't all that complicated. Of course, you should make heavy use of your railgun. I would suggest GobiNumb (gold armor) Dr. Trigger (Silver RoF) and Regenegreat (Bronze health regen) as endorsements.
  14. tetn1s

tetn1s Member

Easiest class is gunner, if you have decent aim. make sure you know the best places to take cover and regenerate health. Upgrade passive to 3 asap, use mini for pros and mortars for turrets. I recommended you run atleast silver armor, then pick out other endorsements you think are right for your playstyle. It shouldn't be too hard and you wont have too much trouble unless there is a good sniper on the other team. Use slam for crowd control, grapple assassins and other classes that get too close for comfort, and ONLY deploy for a short time, you always have to be on the move in this game.
  15. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

When I first played MNC, I found Gunner to be the easiest to take grasp of since all I needed to know was that I had a big gun which kills quickly as long as I get close enough. Then I met other gunners with dual barrels and that's how I learnt how to use skills (bought ones).

But it all comes down to your play style. Assault and Gunner are probably the two most straight forward classes to play with in terms of raw gunfights.

Really though - just play more, watch what the 'good players' do, and it'll roll on from there.
  16. Kaeldian

Kaeldian New Member

If I may.....

Because the game is on sale and has a lot of new people, you are going to be facing a ton of newbie Assassins who can't resist the lure and will playing the class all wrong graplling you. All the classes have ways of dealing with her, but I believe the Tank and Gunner are the two easiest classes to deal with her. Tank simply has too many HP for her to easily kill in a single blow as well as an area effect attack. Gunner also has a area effect attack (The slam)
    that will knock them out of stealth as well as slowing their normally breakneck speed to a crawl. Those two might be good ones for you starting out to deal with all the bad sins.

I can't comment on Tanks because I'm still learning him. But I myself play a ton of Gunner. What people said here is right, you generally want your gun upgraded as fast as possible. I also recoment slam as both it's damage, stun, and knockback is win all around and will frustrate the hell out of Sins. From there, it's up to you. I generally go Grapple because I'm using the mortar more often than the chaingun and like to stay mobile. Oh, speaking of the mortar.....

The mortar has a damage bonus versus turrets (excepting the support turret), therefore you want to be using that. Minigunning a turret will just get you laughed at. The support turret (or firebase) however is the opposite, you generally would be better off using your minigun on that.

Hope this helps you out.
  17. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

good idea for dealing with the sin spam
    tank with gold armor-to survive backstabs and general survival
    silver skill for faster cooldown on skills nothing screws up an assassin more than lvl3 charge and lvl3 product grenade is an awesome bot killer
    bronze choice of rate of fire, speed or health regen

just go after bots and wait for the assassins for easy kills
  18. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Actually Tank is fluffy bunny to a proper Assassin.
    See why in the link in my signature. After practice, Tanks are free kills, which I take very regularly.
    Assassin only needs to worry about Assault.

Put gold armor on your Assassin as soon as you get your first custom class.
    Upgrade in this order:
    #1: 4 + 1 (4 = Shurikens, 1 = Running)
    #2: 4 (Need $400, 4 = Katana)
    #3: 2 (Need $200, 2 = Cloak)
    #4: 2 (Need $400, 2 Best Cloak)
    #5: 1 (Need $400, 1 = Best Running) (This is optional, since lunging works fine.)

Spend the rest after that on turrets. Smokebomb is super useful as per my guide in my signature, but you only need it at level 1.
    Before you fully upgrade your Running, use your lunge to get across the arena quickly.

L. Spiro
  19. jockhockey

jockhockey New Member

Thanks spyro I will try that out! ASAP
  20. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Uprading anything but passive, that makes me laugh.