Macs -__-

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by zodiark1234, June 25, 2011.

1. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

So, after essentially being forced to use one at my aunt's house, and no alternative for internet, I really don't see why they are so overpriced. Weak hardware, and an OS that appears to think I am as computer illiterate as my 4 year old sister. :lol:

And yes, I feel like having a good debate too. :D

I'll add moar later when I finally get back to my Windows blessed machine.
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

inb4 Linux is best
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You can't play MNC on a Mac or a Linux OS. I think that's all that has to be said about this topic... :3
  4. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Lol, I forgot. No flame war today then. A shame cause I honestly enjoy a good flame war every now and then. It puts a little excitement into the forums, and the whole Mac vs PC nonsense seems to be a particularly soft spot for some.

Since a lot of Mac users think their computer is invulnerable to viruses, however, I think it would be particularly funny for someone to post a link for a made up reason that contains a Mac virus. :lol:
  5. Vlane

Vlane New Member

There are already viruses for Macs but the platform is, at the moment, uninteresting to malware writers.

Macs have their advantages and disadvantages but I really don't care about a discussion.
  6. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

i thoroughly enjoy my macbook over my GF's PC laptop.
    It does everything I need it to do. So yeah.
  7. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

desktops>laptops
  8. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

seing as how portability>power for me. A laptop is perfect.
  9. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

but think of all the power.....THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. arseface

arseface Post Master General

:|
  11. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

like I need a PC to play MNC
    console all the way
  12. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

I myself had to the laptop route due to college, I'm sporting a dedicated card in my lappy, but i often find myself wishing for moar.
  13. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

Most of all are the "laptop douche" guys who sit in Starbucks and they always HAVE FRICKEN MACS. >:|
  14. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

i want to take a desktop in there one day to see peoples faces....but first i have to move somewhere with a starbucks
  15. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Be sure to have Crysis running at maxed, then ask if any of their Macs can do that.
  16. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Desktops are much better than laptops, but laptops have their place.
    I have spent years moving to various countries (and then often to many apartments withing those countries), so it really was not practical to keep a desktop.
    Once I reached my final destination (Tokyo) I got a desktop and hardly touch my laptops except for testing my engine on low-end machines.

Macintosh computers are also definitely not worth the price.
    I have to use one at work (luckily I also have a Windows machine here) and I soon need to buy one of my own (ugh) so I can support Macintosh OS X 5.0+ and iOS with my new game engine.

The mouse is clunky. It is so hard to just glide over to the menu items or buttons etc.
    During the last two years using Macintosh computers, all of my mouses have lost partial or all control related to the scroll wheel. Half of them can only scroll up, half down, and one not at all.

Menu items always require mouse button presses to be activated.
    If I rename a file and change its extension, a dialog box appears asking me if I want to cancel, keep the old extension, or change it (by the way I am not a child; I dont need to be bothered by such a dialog in the first place).
    The default button is to keep the old. It is not enough to hit the arrow key to change which button is selected. No, that would be too simple. I have to reach over, grab my mouse, clumsily glide over to the button I want to hit, and use the mouse to activate it.

I hate the window system in Macintosh computers. It is extremely misleading and frustrating.
    #1: An application is open even when all of its windows are closed. The only way you know it is open is by the bar at the top. If you are not paying attention to that, you could think you are typing into another application, causing problems.
    #2: Lets say I have a Finder window on top, an Xcode window next, and another Finder window under that. When I close the top Finder window, I expect the next active window to be Xcode. But instead of making sense, the bottom Finder window now goes over the Xcode window. What the hell.
    This slows me down greatly because I often just want to browse for something in Finder, copy the file name, and go back to Xcode to paste the file name. But no. Once you put a Finder window over Xcode, youve just put all Finder windows over Xcode, and you have to manually close or shrink them all to get back to Xcode.

Macintosh computers slow me down so much I often lean to my right and use my Windows machine for researching etc. Even when I am trying to find a long snippet of example code, instead of using the Macintosh computer, I would rather:
    #1: Type the code into the Macintosh computer manually while looking at my Windows machine.
    #2: E-mail myself the code so that I have used Safari only to check my e-mail.

When you press return (AKA Enter) on a file, it doesnt open it. It attempts to rename it. If you want to open it, press command and the down arrow. Makes sense, right?

Windows can only be resized from the lower-right corner.

Everyone knows many of the downsides to Macintosh computers regarding hardware and gaming, so I thought I would share some of the numerous downsides that people only get to know after actually using them for a while.

// ================
    // RANT FOLLOWS. IF YOU ARE TIRED OF READING A LONG POST, STOP HERE.
    // ================

I say this often at the office:
    Macintosh computers are just not made to be used.
    They spent their budget making things pretty instead of making them useful and stable.
    Xcode is the buggiest development environment I have ever encountered.
    You cant play games on them so why all hardware? It just raises the price for no reason. Cheapest Macintosh computer is $699.

When I hear people say, It does everything I want it to do, I always have to wonder what those people want to do, and why they have to pay $2,000 (for regular Macintosh computers) to do it.
    When I am using a Macintosh computer, my world feels so small and insignificant. It makes me think of Macintosh users as feeling happy to live in a box. $2,000 for a little web surfing and maybe drawing a picture? Both of which can be done equally well in Windows?
    What about games? What about fun things such as hacking? What about making games? Real games, not iPhone games.

Windows doesnt just let me do everything I want to do, it lets me do everything.
    It has its problems, but at least I feel free on it.
    Windows lets you get inside of it, which was a valuable resource for my own development as a programmer. It made me curious about technology and helped me explore the field.
    I dont think Macintosh users really understand the power of computers and their real purpose.

L. Spiro
  17. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

.....that's a lot of letters
  18. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Many of the people who use Macs don't really care about hardware, or computers in general, sadly. One thing about it is that it's fairly idiot proof in comparison to Windows.

I'm not that much of a Windows fan myself anymore, and if it weren't for gaming, I'd switch to Linux in an instant. But Windows is vastly superior to Mac. One thing that Win 7 has that I haven't seen on a Linux yet though is to insta-fullscreen a window by dragging it to the top of the screen, or half screen by sending it into either side.

Instead of buying a Mac yourself, you could go the hackintosh route and buy a power mac case from Ebay or something like that. Flexibility of a custom built + the crippling software that is Mac OS. :D
  19. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

my macbook was free.
    I love the long battery life and the trackpad is awesome.

However I would not spend 1000 dollars for it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: