Bug: Black Background/Sky

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Guiscard, January 25, 2011.

1. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It's something I'd love to fix as well, but so far haven't been able to find a solution to the black sky. It's a bizarre issue since the sky material is literally the simplest material in the game world. Essentially it's a big unlit sphere that displays an image, done.
  2. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

If it can help anyhow, the middle point in the scope mode dissapears if looking to this black sky, it also happens with the beam going out from the supports medigun.
    Is not that is a black sky, is like its made of black hole. It even eats some elements when they are against it.
  3. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

[​IMG]
    In this first image we can see how the sky literally eats some elements of the stage. Here the green screens
    [​IMG]
    And here the symbol of the pusher.

Doesn't it give any hint to anybody?
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

I know what the issue is. The sky is blowing out the screen buffer, effectively it's infinitely bright or infinitely black. It means any transparent object drawn over the sky is getting blown out too.

The problem is I don't know why. Is it some weird combination of settings the game is using, is it caused by the distance fog, is it a bug we can fix with Unreal, is it a bug we can't fix but can work around in the video drivers, is it a bug in the hardware itself?
  5. Sniddlegrass

Sniddlegrass New Member

Any progression on this being fixed? I can't believe it's still not solved.
  6. Jetfire

Jetfire New Member

Hi there, I'm Jetfire, lead level designer for http://www.udk.com/showcase-planetstorm

We experienced this issue with 7-series nvidia cards in the UDK. It is caused by the heightfog. Assuming you're using a current engine build, get your LD's to replace the old heightfog actors with exponential heightfog actors. Fixes the issue and looks better to boot.
    People can avoid the issue for the time being by typing 'show fog' in the console without quotes, or, assuming you havent locked out the inis like Bulletstorm, they can go change their settings there.
    Hope this helps :)
  7. ydwyrd

ydwyrd New Member

You're on to something there. The console command actually fixes the problem in single player, but being a console command, it doesn't work in multiplayer. And if you turn it on outside of multiplayer, and try to join a match, it'll send you back to the sever list for having a console command active.

So, so very close. If you knew which game file to edit, we'd have a solution...
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Awesome, thank you, that's very helpful. Unfortunately our version of the Unreal engine is about a year and a half old now and exponential height fog wasn't implemented in that version, and there aren't any config file settings to disable height fog. This will at least get us going in the right direction, I'd assumed it was fog related, but I'd forgotten about height fog.
  9. Kell Aset

Kell Aset New Member

Hope some solution will be found in not very far future, just got the game and I also have this black sky issue :( . I don't feel like playing MNC with smth like that and yes my pc is equipped with GeForce 7600 Gt.
  10. shadowman

shadowman New Member

I have a GeForce 7950 GT and I am experiencing the same issues of a black sky as everyone else. Please fix this issue.
  11. Sniddlegrass

Sniddlegrass New Member

Anything to report? I'm desperate for this to be fixed.
  12. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Hmm.

Send a screen shot. You may need to verify your cache.
  13. ydwyrd

ydwyrd New Member

No, that solution would have been tried months ago. Even so, it's now known that this is an issue with the engine, verifying the game cache wouldn't help any.
  14. Sniddlegrass

Sniddlegrass New Member

Is there a plan to be fixing this? I'll give up asking if not.
  15. Mystx

Mystx New Member

I agree, I figured this would have been fixed by now. Considering how many people get the issue. :(
  16. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

It is an engine side issue which will truely be fixed when we finish updating to the latest Unreal3 version. In the meantime we're looking at alternate solutions like adjusting how fog is used (it's cause by in game fog and how it's implemented for certain cards)
  17. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

so this next patch will be a big one? and will be a little bit away?
  18. Sniddlegrass

Sniddlegrass New Member

Is this something that is ever going to be fixed in the near future? If not, please can you guys just admit that?
  19. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

if you read the tread you would see that your question has been answered