My ideas for nerfing the sniper

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by salomdi, May 29, 2011.

1. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

1. sniper scope in time is raised to about 0.3-0.5 seconds
    2. sniper headshots count as sniper bodyshots within ~10 meters

the increased scope in time would reduce the snipers ability to take advantage of tiny windows of opportunity to give classes a tiny reprive. the sniper headshot reduction would prevent the sniper from being able to quickscope for a headshot at close range, and force them to rely on their smg instead.
  2. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

There's only two things that needs to be done to make the sniper better.

One ice trap, add a sway so that every shot was freaking earned.

Sniper's fixed. Less complaining by all. I hate the sniper. I see his place. I'm grateful when there's a good sniper on my team. But seriously, if you don't need to steady your aim, you're not a sniper.
  3. Goose

Goose Active Member

Making shots more difficult doesn't balance a character.
  4. arseface

arseface Post Master General

QFT
  5. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

Having someone having to work for their shots instead of sitting there and not doing a thing? It's a damn good step to balancing it than keeping it so easy for snipers.
  6. Goose

Goose Active Member

You will rage just as hard when Snipers continue to kill you from the other side of the map regardless of how difficult it is. And as much as I despise the sniper in this game, it is not an easy class.
  7. Tru BX Skillz

Tru BX Skillz New Member

Either the explosive damage can be nerfed or the duration of the Ice Traps be reduced
  8. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

there's nothing wrong with the explosive damage, if you die to it, then you deserved it, ice trap duration is extremely annoying and also drains your skills so fast when they are lvl 3

something like tf2 would be a good idea and i don't really like that game but the sniper isn't OP, make it so they have to charge up to kill a tank or gunner, they are easy enough to headshot as it is, half charge for medium classes and the light classes can be quickscoped but that's just what i think, but i doubt it will happen.
  9. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Artificially reducing someones aim/ability is never the answer.

The best solution I have heard so far is to make his power charge-based.
    This is how the Sniper Rifle works in Starsiege: Tribes as well.

Let it charge for max power. If you try to spam it, you deal nearly no damage.
    Let it charge for about 3 seconds and you are at or near full power again.

This works very well in practice, even though at first it might seem annoying that you deal so little damage when firing faster.
    This is still useful for getting in the finishing damage as the player retreats.

It requires the Sniper to think a bit more and gauge how much damage he or she needs to do vs. how much damage he or she will do at his or her current charge level.

And I am not talking about a slow charge either.
    They can still fire at a reasonable pace (a one-shot kill every 3 seconds, a half-damage shot every 1.5 seconds, etc.), so Sniper will still be fun for the people actually play it.

The key is to try to make everyone happy, and this is a method that is very easy to tweak to find that sweetspot where the targets arent getting so annoyed and the Snipers themselves still have fun playing Sniper.

L. Spiro
  10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

How would the Rate of Fire endorsement play into that?
  11. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Allows faster recharging but not faster spam firing.
    So you wait the same amount of time but get more power for it.

L. Spiro
  12. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I like that idea.

As long as it does not alienate the remaining players base I'm good with it.
  13. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

So what you are saying is that the Sniper Rifle would have a set rate of fire and all the RoF endorsement does is speed up the power recharge? I actually like that idea.
  14. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Ditto. /epic, long reply
  15. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

has adding bullet drop been discussed? ive only just thought about it, but it adds an element of skill to snipers, making them have to adjust their aim depending on the distance in order to compensate for gravity.
  16. Combinecommando

Combinecommando New Member

I mentioned this plenty of time while playing MNC and my suggestion to Uber would be, make the sniper's rilfe a bolt action rifle, it's slower and it should add more challenge to his work, by having him to ''un-scope'' after each shots. Because right now the actual one with the right sponsor is literally a very accurate machine gun. and I would normaly agree with the charge thing like in TF2 but then it would make the sniper useless.

Also make the smg less OP, it's close to be better than the assault rifle, which doesn't make sense. As for the rest it's fair in my opinion, well the traps could use some modifications but aside from that everything else is fine.
  17. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

and what would the RoF endorsement do to bolt action? the charge would make him useless you say but wouldn't the bolt action also?
  18. Combinecommando

make him shoot faster of course but it would never be as fast as a semi auto rifle, bolt action wouldn't be too slow either, it's just to make the sniper ''un-scope'' each times, he has to take aim again before shooting, kinda like battlefield 2 you deal alot of damage but because you ready your gun and have to re-take your aim and the victim has enough time to either hide or strike back, with the actual one in MNC you can't do both, you get body shot until you die or a few body shots and a headshot by the same clip.
  19. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

How about adding negative side effects to the more popular Endorsements, for example, using Armor will decrease movement speed accordingly. Something similar could be done with RoF.
  20. Combinecommando

well it wouldn't make sense, since the armor endorsements aren't actual armor upgrades they just increase your health but not the armor itself. for intance Suvivitol, it's an elexir how would that make you slower?