xShammas' Guide to End All Guides

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by De Troll, May 27, 2011.

1. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

Deadpool uses this.
  2. truckus

truckus New Member

I like what you have so far and am looking forward to the rest, especially sniper. I've never been too sure what a competetive sniper can get done in a game since I've always read that the competetive assaults are ridiculously good and part of that job would be to take out/harass snipers.

Having no "private game" experience it's nice to get a piece of the minds of competetive players. It's too bad that so few private game videos exist.
  3. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

You regen health in less than 3 seconds. It can be a huge help at times, but I prefer a higher RoF.
  4. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

[quote="waz]Is bronze clip on the assassin really that effective? I'd much rather be able to recover more quickly than have three more shrukens in my clip."[/quote]

I'm still saying this is preference. I can hit stuff with my shurikens fine...but I prefer to use them for pushing heavies out of the bot lanes than actually going for kills.

Do you have any gameplay footage of you or another Clip Size fan playing? It would really help me to see when you opt to take out the shuriken vs. holding onto the sword.

I've grown EXTREMELY comfortable with health recovery, and even when I am using shurikens I never feel like I need more.
  5. Reanimated Ace

Reanimated Ace New Member

If I were considering Clip size for a few more shuriken, I would probably just roll bronze reload speed. Get all the shuriken back just that much faster. Dunno, just my 2Cents.
  6. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

xShammas? Is the forum acct who made this really him?

Anywho, this guide is pretty great, and a hell of a sight shorter than mine are. I honestly for the life of me cannot shorten text blocks, especially guides.
  7. joker

joker Active Member

shurikens are most valuable in situations where your opponent is walking with their bots and your sword is atm useless. spam the shurikens at the bots/people for 1. juice; 2. hurting bots; 3. chipping at people and preventing health recovery. the shurikens best asset is preventing an enemy's health recovery, and seeing as how they can bank of walls and floors, you can send them in the direction of a retreating foe to give your assault or other teammate in position an extra couple seconds to kill that low health enemy before he recovers.

also, particularly on steel peel (or at any map's bot choke point near the enemy spawn), even when one team is trapping another its often tough for the assassin to maneuver around the enemy base if the tank is roaming about death blossoming your bots and the sniper has ice traps laid about explosive shooting everything near the entrances. An example of a situation where its best for you to pull out your shuriken launcher and let them fly until your teammates can give you a better opportunity to push in with your katana to slay their bots as they spawn so yours can walk in
  8. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

I really think this is also a reload-speed situation.

This is a good strategy, but it is really a desperation move. You are better off using shurikens to attack turrets for juice, and if you are seen while attacking then run off and hit a different side. Or, smokebomb unattended turrets, cuz a team camping on steelpeel can get pretty caught up with that and forget about their base.

It may seem backwards, but you can attack turrets for juice, and kill pros with juice to break a spawncamp. At least, you can in that situation.

Any other situation, you would rather have health regen. Or, skill recovery for more smokebombs and longer dash and cloak. Or, even speed to get between bot lanes and hit-and-runs. But mostly for me I like that skill-regen.
  9. De Troll

De Troll New Member

I tried explaining it, but I use the shurikens whenever someone knows where I am. You should never run at someone decent with your sword out, you're just asking for something bad to happen. I also use them during juice, because it's a lot safer than running around close up.
  10. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Oh Snap!
  11. De Troll

De Troll New Member

So the guide is complete. Once again, I'd like to remind everyone that this is not an intro guide for JMan505, and it's not for someone just buying the game. It's for someone who already is familiar with most of the known tricks and is trying to push themselves up past the pub level and become a top level player. I hope you'll find it very informative. If there's anything you'd like to know, post here or talk to me on XBL- xShammas.
    And PLEASE, don't try to argue with me that silver health regen is better on the tank or anything of the like. In this thread, you're wrong and I'm right.
  12. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

13. Undercover_Thudercat

Stretch I love you, but I hope that's a joke, man. EVERYBODY on this damn forum is circumventing a ban. And he is legitimately being helpful now.

So I've been trying a shuriken-based build out more and more and using shurikens more. I actually really like it. It's slower paced, but the thing I like about it as that it makes it easier to work with your team, and I actually think I'm a pretty good shot with it.

I used to just run at bots and hope to make a safe retreat thanks to my health recovery. Definitely can't run in and lunge/slash bots with people right there, but I can see what you mean about shurikens.

This is kinda where I'm at with them now...tell me if I'm doing it right:

Kinda the same way a tank uses his railgun; I've always got the shuriken launcher out unless I am in sword range. I only get into sword range if there are no pros around the bots or it's an easy assassination. The only difference is that I focus bots first, not people.

Ironically, the most difficult thing to deal with playing a more shuriken based assassin is an assassin that's using my old health recovery build. I played vs The Boom the other day and he spanked the **** out of me. I don't know how to stop the more aggressive, in your face assassin that I like to play. In a sword fight, health recovery > extra shurikens.

EDIT: Also, lol @ your sig.
  14. Reanimated Ace

Reanimated Ace New Member

Snarf...isn't dead? Tom said you packed up and were gone bye-byes. Are you playing MNC again, or was that "I've been trying a shuriken..." somehow still a nod to the past?
  15. Undercover_Thudercat

I play a little bit again. Not on LOL LOL LOLZ...it's out of live. You'll either see me on the old HI IM SNARF account or on my Randy account, which I'm not going to publicize because I'm having too much fun trolling all stars with it.
  16. De Troll

De Troll New Member

Snarf, you should still use your sword to push bots and fight other assassins. Carry your sword so you have mobility and can kill the bots, and assassinate people who don't pay attention. If someone spots you, shuriken them while you retreat, or chase them if they're hurt. And you should either use the sword against the other assassin, or just not fight them at all. You don't need to engage them, you can get your tank to help or something. Just ignore them and push bots. The more time you spend letting them distract you, the more time their bots have to move up on you.
  17. Zatchmo

Zatchmo Active Member

18. JON10395

JON10395 New Member

Indeed.

Reading and understanding this guide should definitely be a prerequisite to playing any competitive private match.
  19. WildmanX2k

WildmanX2k New Member

Gunner with gold acc :? Sure it's great against assaults and supports (who get killed easily anyway) but you get slaughtered against Gunners up close or Tanks in general.
  20. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Up close yeah you'd get wrecked, but the point of the gold acc build is to not let anything get close to you, your team, map control, or the anni. It's a tough build for lazer where everyone is popping up out of nowhere, but if you can hold mid map on stel peel with gold accuracy then you're set.