Star Rating is even more broken now.

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by Lyrae, April 25, 2011.

1. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

at the top with around 20-30ish kills about 5-7 deaths and like 80ish bot kills
  2. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

from what i have seen stars wont go down with stats like that even with a loss
    in my experience stars almost always go up finishing first on the losing side as long as its a full length game
  3. Proxus

Proxus Member

Rating should never go down on a win. Period. If anything just winning should grant you a "no-change" stay of execution if you did not MVP it up.
  4. BillNyeTheScienceGuy

BillNyeTheScienceGuy New Member

Everything I've heard from uber indicate that star ratings aren't supposed to be about how the team did but rather your personal quantifiable stats for last couple hours of playtime. That's why they are a large factor in how players are split up for teams.
  5. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

so you are saying that someone that plays fail sin going 0-0-20-0 should not lose rating because the rest of the team was able to carry them to a win?

how about no
  6. Proxus

Proxus Member

Ok winning with any decent score. I'm just sick and tired of winning, getting MVP, and still seeing my rating drop. Then, winning on a team full of badasses in 2nd or third place and seeing the rating drop significantly.

Oh and enough with this "it's tracking your play over time" horse ****. You can do amazing all day then **** up one game and your rating plumets. If it truly was based on entire sessions and not single game performance then the update would happen after you close the game and not every match. Just because a dev said that's what is happening does not mean it's actually happening that way. Just look at how joining late would significantly decrease your rating. They semi-fixed this by giving late join money which was a cool fix for late join rating drops and to help late joins be on par with the rest of the server.

Btw what's the easiest way to tank your rating? The other night the only open server was a 3star server. I guess I'd still have to get into a server and suicide 1000 times before it went down :(
  7. killien

killien Active Member

Few nights ago
    Game 1: Win. Positive KDR, high assists, high botkills, in top 2 on the server.
    Stars go down
    Game 2: Win. Positive KDR(not as high as G1), decent assists, medium botkills, in top 3 of server
    Stars go down
    Game 3: Win. Positive KDR(higher than G2), decent assists, good botkills, #1 on the server
    Stars go down
    Game 4: Lose. Positive KDR(about G2 level), decent assits, high botkills, in top 3 of server
    Stars go up piddly amount

???
  8. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Consider what should happen if your rating goes above what is considered a great level globally rather than regionally.

Idealistically, a level-5 rating should be considered level-5 regardless of country and competition.

That is, if I dominate all of the players in my region (and I do), should my 5-star ranking carry over to another region where the competition is more severe/intense?

If you gained an excessive rating by playing people only in your region, then moved to a more world-wide server, you may very well see a drop in your rating regardless of your performance.

And this can happen even if you did not expect it to happen.

L. Spiro
  9. Proxus

Proxus Member

Yes but this is not what's happening. When you are with other 5 star level players, just because you are not first place does not mean you did not play well. If you land in 2nd or third by maybe $100 then you did quiet well, yet the game rewards this performance with a star hit. Even the MVP takes a star rating hit in these situations sometimes. Just ask dragonash lol. I had this happen several times to me this week already and even though I know the star rating does not mean jack **** it still irks me for some reason.
  10. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

Because no one likes being underrated.

I've gotten into the habit of taking screenshots of my games and my ratings. Ratings before a match, how I did after the match, and what my rating is after the match.

After finishing first or second consistently, I've been going down .05 points each game. With my lowest K being 14 and my highest death being 6. Bots are usually around 60 or more.

It's maddening to do well and to be told you're not.
  11. duox

duox New Member

I purposely dropped down to 3 stars the other day and was 4.98 within an hour and a half of playing on a 3 star server. You can literally improve your rating by doing bad on purpose to play on 3 star servers.
  12. Robbert

Robbert New Member

When you try to boost your starrating that way, you only make it harder for yourself, because when you then get in a 5-star server, you will put against the good ones, while otherwise you would maybe on their team.
  13. killien

killien Active Member

Not really. The star ratings for servers are a max as opposed to that rating only
    A 5 star server will let anyone play, a 3 star will only allow 3.99 and below
  14. Robbert

Robbert New Member

I know that, but ''boosting'' for your starrating is useless. You will be put against better players, as the game thinks you're better than you really are.
  15. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

yes theoretically it will put your team at a disadvantage as the game thinks you are better than you really are and balances teams accordingly
    although in my experience it would work better if teams were selected on both star rating and lvl as 9 times out of 10 a team of high lvl players will defeat a team of high star players
  16. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

The only thing that grinds my gears is that in low pop areas like AUS, finding that the only playable server with people playing that currently has open slots is 3 star capped means i can't play MNC, as there's no ability to queue up for a match unless someone you know is on the server and i'll be fucked if i wait around for 5 years hitting refresh.

Basically means if i want to play MNC i have to jump on randomly and pray people aren't on the servers around here that are capped. Sure, someone in the US might not have that issue but if you want to build the community you can't ignore the rest of the developed world. People are willing to play with a bad ping just so they can play this game.

This is a dumb system, i'm not gunna sugar coat it. The rating is fine until you start seperating a small player base with it. You're an indie dev and you're splitting the community? What are you guys smoking Uber? cmon.
  17. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Until the community rises some more I have to say the system only makes it hard for people to interact. Try to focus on player education before this because that is what makes me wan't to separate from new people.