Star ranking system

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Ninja Midget, May 13, 2011.

1. Ninja Midget

Ninja Midget New Member

As I am improving as a player I am finding this system more and more annoying.
    The reasons for this are that MNC already has a small player base and we already have a very small amount of servers active at anytime.

In Australia at peak time I might get 3-5 servers that have players in them to pick from, then because I have gotten my star ranking over 4 at times I am stuck to only 2-3 servers to choose from that are 4+ stars. Often those servers are already full, which then I click refresh over 20+ times to see if a slot becomes available. After that fails I go play another game.

I believe this system is cutting a lot of players out of the game since we don't want to use our spare time clicking refresh and waiting for a spot. Its like the game is encouraging new players but punishing us for getting better. Especially during quiet periods when there is 1-2 servers active.

Oh ya, the rage kicks don't help either. You play well, make someone rage and the next thing you see is "Voting to kick" if you're unlucky you end up back at the server screen clicking refresh. If you are lucky then you get a few "lols" in chat.

Alright I am done with my rant, wish I was at home and not at work so I could "try" to play.
  2. zenstar

zenstar New Member

To be honest all the star rating complaints and votekick complaints can largely be aleviated with a larger player base. That is the root cause of many issues at the moment and as it dwindles further more and more people are moving on. Hopefully the release of the modding tools will change this but at the moment the playerbase is small and shrinking.
  3. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

I feel the same way about the system. Its a bit too weak or too misunderstood and divides people and keeps people from getting to good servers.
  4. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

keep and continue to tweak the star system for matchmaking purposes but remove the ability to actually see yours or other peoples rating
  5. fireuzer

fireuzer New Member

Currently if you join a game right as it's ending, regardless of whether or not you're on the winning team, you'll lose about ~.7 stars. I believe the most recent rating tweak put a lot more emphasis on your location on the scoreboard than the k:d.

If you're wanting to play on the 3-star servers then just wait until any game is right about to end then disconnect/reconnect to the server. You'll be at the bottom of the list and lose enough rating to join whatever server you want.
  6. BillNyeTheScienceGuy

BillNyeTheScienceGuy New Member

This. We need another free weekend followed by a solid Steam sale.
  7. Z Bear

Z Bear New Member

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Nice playing, btw. You wrecked me for about three games while I was trying to get used to mouse&keyboard last night.
  8. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

Agreed but MNC has a problem that is not adequately addressed that would kill a new sale.

Player education.

Players will get frustrated when they have their behinds handed to them by more experienced players especially since they don't know how to counter the basic things. Things like jump to not be grappled/ejected/Ground Pounded. They also won't know off the bat that the Annihilator/Juice Bar/Ejectors are an important priority. Or that the assassin should focus on killing bots, turrets, getting juice and only on players when you have a clear advantage.

Wait your THAT bill nye? I enjoyed the matches I played against you. My IGN is acid Ace but I'll be changing it soon to this forum name.
  9. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

I'll state finally why I hate the rating.

It's made most players freaking cowards. Not to lose their ratings they worked so hard to get, they bail and leave teams of 4 against 6, or 3 against 6. And it's not like the full team goes "That's ok, we'll wait until you get full up again."

And that somehow counts against you.

forget broken matchmaking, forget the baffling choice of making a team based game have an individualistic edge... I can't remember one game for a good long while where people stayed until the end because most players are just damn afraid of losing rating.
  10. daztora

daztora New Member

This is also why you get a full team of turtles stay In the safety of their turrets, until someone brushes past with half health for them to finish off.

Star Rating Is a mess.
  11. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

At this point I'm not sure whether people are more concerned about their star rating, or K/D, even though the two are very closely interlinked.

Turtling in bases has been something I've seen prior to when stars were introduced. It's those super conservative players that really amuse me. Not sure if daz still remembers it, but we were playing against this one gunner in Spunky who would do nothing except sit on top of the ejector platform and spam mortars, which wasn't doing anything for the team in terms of pushing forward, but very healthy for his K/D. The only time he ever got off that thing was when he had juice so he could actually kill someone (not even touching the turrets). And after that? Back on top of the ejector. :lol:
  12. daztora

daztora New Member

Yeah stuff like this Is what I'm talking about, he could say bot kills for his defence but It wasn't the most effective way of doing It. I do remember that one.