Simultaneous Headshot

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by DelBoy, May 3, 2011.

1. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Recently, I had one of those common sniper duels that seem to be the main feature of Grenade III nowadays.

We ended up headshotting each other, effectively killing us both at the same time.

Does this mean that the sniper rifle is actually a projectile weapon with a super fast travel time instead of it being hitscan?

Also a quick question to those who play as snipers: Who tends to reload the moment they kill someone? It's a habit I can't seem to rid myself of, despite having enough bullets in the clip still. :lol:
  2. Robbert

Robbert New Member

I think the sniper is hitscan, but maybe it's because of lag? I also reload right when i kill somebody, sometimes even do this with the miniguns (and then die). :oops:
  3. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Happened to me too, also you can get double headshots too.
  4. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

I believe the sniper rifle is instant-fire, and it is more likely for a simultaneous head-shot to happen than you may have imagined.

Although your game may be showing you images at 60 frames per second or even more, this is not actually tied to the game logic, which runs at a fixed interval much slower than this.

Starsiege: Tribes runs at 32 logical cycles per second (regardless of framerate), and modern games typically run at around 40.

Depending on the fixed time length between logical cycles in Monday Night Combat, you could have anywhere from 25 milliseconds to 33 milliseconds.
    For comparison, if you are running at 60 frames per second, there are only 17 milliseconds between frames.
    This means you may have up to two frames to get a simultaneous head-shot, double the time you may have expected.

It is still obviously very difficult to do, but just barely more possible than you may have thought.

L. Spiro
  5. Zutsumi

Zutsumi Member

It's possible to simultaneous headshot, I've done so before.
  6. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Two snipers with enough lag could easily headshot each other.

Double headshots are also the best thing in the universe, especially when the ding sounds harmonize. It's like the voice of god. There's just this thunderous, ringing "NICE SHOT :O" that blocks all other sounds for a moment.
  7. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

I dunno. When I got a double headshot, I didn't even know there a second guy there. Apparently, Supports are chubbier than Assaults to the point where they can actually hide one behind them.

And yet their heads are still level with each other.
  8. rXsZ kiLLz yOu

rXsZ kiLLz yOu New Member

It's only a matter of ping ;)..I think that two player with low pings will never headshot each other at the same time, it only happens to me when i ping a lot and the other ping less than me or vice versa.
  9. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Well, considering I do play at what is referred to as 'an absurd ping' (300+), it explains the incident. It's just that it's only happened once before that made it confusing to me.

High ping makes you see all sorts of trippy things sometimes. For example, if I was to juice shotgun a Tank, he won't instantly die, but will stand for a split second like the Civilian Heavy (extinct now) from TF2 before collapsing on the spot. :lol:
  10. Lyrae

Lyrae New Member

Like when the walls start to- oh, wait. . . . nvm. ._.

Toss Assault bomb and hear the sound, wait ten seconds, watch Assault throw bomb into floor. Shoot clip of Shuriken while running forward, watch them spawn from behind you. Shoot someone in the head, watch them collapse 50 feet later.
  11. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

As I explained, this is very unlikely to be related to ping.
    You have a relatively large window in which both players can hit the button and both get head shots if aimed properly.

Because the game does not rely on client information to determine the accuracy of a shot (you do need to aim ahead, even with the sniper rifle, right?) ping is not a factor at all.
    Yes, it does cause trippy graphics as your client struggles to keep you as updated about the current game situation as it can, but no, it will not help you at all in getting simultaneous head shots.

L. Spiro
  12. thebabelfish

thebabelfish Member

Just to point out, 40 game state ticks/second is 25 milliseconds between ticks. Network latency is generally larger then that.
  13. L-Spiro

L-Spiro New Member

Yes it is.
    But that only impacts the time it takes for a packet to be sent from your client to the server (which will be ping / 2, since your ping is actually the time it takes for a packet to be issued from the server, decoded by your client (which means a slow CPU CAN increase your ping), sent back to the server, and decoded).

As long as the server receives a FIRE!! command from you and from the other guy (whatever your pings may be) during the same game cycle (on the server, not on your client), you will both be considered firing at the same time.

L. Spiro
  14. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Wait, L-Spiro is a chick? How did I miss that!

Seriously though, is it just your avatar or did I just not know? Did anyone else know? Is it just me that missed this?

Anywho, I though to fix the hit-detection, they made shots from at least some weapons register at least partly client-side (jetgun and sniper hit detection wouldn't register always before, where you would see the enemy get hit even several times with the animation that they got hit and no damage happening). Just wondering.

To answer your question in the beginning though, the sniper rifle isn't so much programmed as hitscan, as it is programmed as an incredibly fast projectile. However, since it is so incredibly fast that it reaches a target from any and max range the very next frame, it is defined as hitscan. But as it was said, the game registers effects of things like recieving damage a few frames after, a very small but existant gap of time.
  15. Vlane

Vlane New Member

You wanna tap that now?
  16. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

T'was curiosity. You know I am taken, lol. Also, why online, why a forum, why a GAMING forum, and why across the globe? Not that I wouldn't like to travel.

Anyway, I didn't see anything indicating, and the user name could be either, so I played Sherlock Holmes. I deduced she was a guy at first, as more game developers are honestly male. Not being stereotypical, just statistical. Most people in game development, computers in general, math based careers overall, are male. The few that aren't, do accounting or statistics or something.

What is the ratio of the Uber Entertainment development team as far as males:females?
  17. eternal

eternal New Member

0:0

All members of Uber Ent are actually an asexual amorphous blob creature with a hive mind. They plan to dominate the world by release quality video games until we become so fat and lazy that we are unable to fight back.

Their plan is working.
  18. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

19. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

This happens to me as assault bs gunner sometimes.