Dealing with Assassins...

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Strategy and Tactics' started by MasterXC, April 3, 2011.

1. Mail

Mail New Member

It's lag compensation. Doesn't happen to me unless I have 120+ ping thereabouts. It happens in both directions, too. Assassins get really angry when you are suddenly two feet up and ready to blam them in the face as soon as they're done being pummeled.
  2. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

Yeah, i find i get screwed out of a few kills and sometimes killed that way. I -wish- i could pull those bunnyhoppers to the ground and grapple them instead of it just being an obnoxious and rather derpy latency mechanic. It would make timing my attacks a lot less of a hassle.
  3. qwepir

qwepir New Member

It's always worked fine for me. There's the occasional melee-right-after-grapple but more often than not they just try to run away after realizing I'm not dead. As for the lunge-grapple I guess I've never been hit by one because I have never been killed by a facegrapple from full health.
  4. Xalerwons

Xalerwons New Member

You'll know it because you start off with 80% at the beginning of the grapple animation.
  5. MasterXC

MasterXC New Member

So...I've realized why I've had so much trouble recently. Since I'm playing from a uni network latency isn't great...100-120 is the norm. With it this high I can't counter-grapple if they stand still (they just melee and I die) or even trigger juice if I'm hammering the button. Is the game really THAT sensitive?
  6. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

the counter grapple is the derpiest and most unreliable mechanic in the game as it is.

As for juice, it won't trigger until an animation is finished. If they can slash quickly enough (damage is dealt at the start of the animation for a sins sword slashes) then you will die before juice triggers, yes.
  7. MasterXC

MasterXC New Member

Fun. Guess I'll just start the bunny-hop routine again. God I hate that tactic...but it's the only one that works. :(
  8. Espiodude2

Espiodude2 New Member

You have to aim at someone's head for one. You have to aim at someone's general area to lunge grapple.
  9. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

If you're having trouble, try jumping to the side instead of just up or backwards. Most players will charge directly forwards if they're going for the kill. If they try to lunge you, they might even miss completely.

You have to make contact with a player to end the lunge early, unless you trigger your lunges at the perfect distance every single time. You'll also need to lunge at thier back, unless you're close enough to lunge-turn and grab them from behind.

This is assuming they don't see you, don't hear you, don't jump, don't hover and don't charge during this time.

Try again.
  10. TheCasualGamer

TheCasualGamer New Member

Don't play sniper and actually contribute to your team :D

Sorry, that was probably uncalled for. I'm sure you kill bots and don't just camp in your spawn and farm your KD like every other sniper ever.

I'm not sure you're meant to counter assassins really. As a tank there's not much I can do to avoid headshots. Usually after 2 or 3 I'll go sin and bring you a world of pain.

Standard rock, paper, scissor mechanic :)
  11. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

I haven't played against the godly assassins much at all, though I did have a couple of rare encounters with them. Not pretty. :lol:

Otherwise, for me, I've always found just jumping like a maniac and backing away from the approaching assassin while pelting her with SMG fire works just fine to either kill or scare her away.
  12. ars0n1st

ars0n1st Member

It seems the OP mainly has issues with the knowing the assassin is there. The only way to fix that is to play enough to increase your situational awareness or sixth sense. After a while you just have the feeling they are coming for you. The biggest thing is positioning so that they will go by cloaked so that you hear them or so they will smokebomb to try to get the drop on you; basically keep the high ground and trap pads and stand in locations they are likely to walk under you cloaked. Getting your ear to selectively tune out ambient noise when it detects the hum of cloak is another thing that will come will practice.

The ultimate defeating mechanism like everyone else has stated already is jumping. Just jump all the time when assassins try to uberleetninja you constantly. This only keeps you from getting grappled most of the time, however, against mediocre assassins.

So, how do you deal with said pests? Grapple them, spin them, and shoot them in the head. Takes quite a bit of practice; once you get it down though prepare for 95% of sins to rage. You should also have 1 trap out of the way on an escape route; people get blinded by their free kill and you can walk them right into it usually.

In closing, if the sin is truly good and not just mashing R+Right Click...you are dead if they have it in their mind to kill you. Luckily though good sins are focusing on bots and driving their lanes so as long as you stay out of their way they will stay out of yours.
  13. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Pretty much this. Listen to this man.
  14. AARPS

AARPS New Member

Without seeing them ahead of time you're pretty much boned. If you're already caught in the lunge the grapple is a given. I've been stuck behind the lag enough to know that jump doesn't always work too, haven't the rest of you? What about if you plan on setting up shop somewhere make it somewhere with a small wall you can hang out on (e.g. spunky on the ejector platform), they don't seem to be able to grapple with the height difference..?
  15. TheWilder

TheWilder New Member

COME AND GET ME WITH MAH LVL3 CHARGE ILL BE WAITIN' AHAHAHAHAHHA :mrgreen:
    PS:Yep Arson1st is right
  16. Sharpixle

Sharpixle New Member

it really depends on how risky your willing to get with it. personally i upgrade my grapple to 2 and freeze trap 2 and when she gets stuck in it, i will proceed to grapple then taunt
  17. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Never ever do this again, it's just dumb.
  18. TheWilder

TheWilder New Member

I love to do this, but only when i know she is going to die on 100%. Not many of you expect freezing icetrap and throwing grapple in the beggining (I know that freezing ice traps have different shape but, pssst)
  19. verden

verden New Member

Sadly if people simply jump after grapple, this method works only about 1/50 times, which aren't exactly equivalent to grapple 2's efficiency. Especially if you cool your head and target the sin the right way. :D

You had it right until the taunt. Although it should be preferable to headshot instead of grappling, why waste the skill.
  20. hobo-with-a-shotgun

hobo-with-a-shotgun Active Member

Assassins are pure noob-stompers. Any assassin that focuses players first is a walking piggy bank in my eyes. The ones that focus bots and turrets are more annoying, but it's a strat that only works on teams with poor co-ordination (a lot of them, sadly).