Suggestion for giving the LazerBlazer a purpose

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by Rydiak, March 25, 2011.

1. Rydiak

Rydiak New Member

Currently a L3 LazerBlazer turret does everything worse than a L1 RockIt turret. This includes all the stats such as total cost, DPS, health, and construction time. As it stands, NO ONE should ever make a LazerBlazer turret. You are better off just making a L1 RockIt turret and leaving it compared to upgrading a LazerBlazer turret to L3.

So if the RockIt turret is better in all areas (at L1), how should the LazerBlazer turret be fixed to make it have a use while still keeping the RockIt turret as the "expensive but very-powerful turret"? Easy, make the LazerBlazer turret a better bot killer (DPS-wise) than the RockIt turret per cost.

Both turrets have a damage modifier versus bots independent of their base damage. A L3 LazerBlazer turret (costs $175) does 8 damage with a 0.2 second RoF, and has an 8x multiplier versus bots. This figures out to 8 damage * 8 multiplier / 0.2s RoF = 320 DPS versus bots. A L1 RockIt turret (costs $150) does 160 damage with a 1 second RoF, and has a 3x multiplier versus bots. This figures out to 160 damage * 3 multiplier / 1 RoF = 480 DPS versus bots.

The multiplier would obviously have to be play-tested and tweaked, but say the LazerBlazer now has a 16x multiplier versus bots. That would figure out to 8 damage * 16 multiplier / 0.2s RoF = 640 DPS versus bots. This would make a L3 LazerBlazer turret equal to a L2 RockIt turret versus bots in DPS. Or, $175 for the L3 LazerBlazer turret versus $450 for the L2 RockIt turret. The RockIt turret would still completely beat the LazerBlazer turret in DPS versus Pros (213.33 DPS vs 40 DPS), but would allow the LazerBlazer turret to have an actual role to play: low cost, fast building anti-bot turret. And of course, if you want to devote the time and money to upgrade the RockIt turret to L3 it would be better than the LazerBlazer turret in all areas.
  2. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

I say, double the cost of the lazor blazor, and then return them to their original XBox strength.

When the game released, they were slightly better vs pros than a lvl1 rokkit, but had trouble against multiple enemies and had worse armor. 50/100/150 reflects that cost, making a lvl2 lazorblazor as good as a current lvl3 with less juice gain for tauning and stuff, and a lvl3 better than a rokkit turret but more expensive. It would still make it the cheapest turret.
  3. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

Blazers do not need a buff. Sure, in terms of raw DPS they don't do as much as a rockit turret - but what they lack in power they make up for in shot speed at range. People can dodge rockets at range. They're not going to dodge a blazer. Mixed with other turrets they can be a real thorn in the side for any attacking team. Good example: Steel Peel, near the left hand side bot door. a Blazer there with a hacked Rockit on the nub behind it effectively shuts down any attempt to cheese the base from the upper ledge. Stick your nose out and the blazer will shoot you. Try to stand back and you get to play dodge the rocket. Any assassin who gets caught by the blazer will also remain visible until she gets out of range.

People seriously underestimate the power of a blazer if it has friends. It's not all about DPS.
  4. Z-UNIT

Z-UNIT Active Member

thats fine till a tank deploys in its range they will then have juice in seconds and you can say goodbye to that hacked rockit and just about every other turret as well
    the only thing worse is a long shot on steel peel although i did see a hacked lvl3 get multiple kills today
  5. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

The problem then is not the Blazer but the Tanks juice gain while deployed. The Blazer does not need to be modified to fix this - the Tank does.

Leaving turrets unattended is always a bad idea anyway.
  6. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

This, I always thought Tanks getting juice from deploying in front of a Blazer was an exploit of some sort.

Also, Blazors are quite a thorn when I'm running through the enemy base.
  7. Diable

Diable New Member

LazerBlazers should revert back to the juice killing machines they used to be on 360 release. I can see how rockits should be more for bot killing than lazers since rockits hitting metal bots should be better while lazers should be tearing pro flesh apart.
  8. Kel

Kel New Member

I just destroy Lazerblazers with easy-mode, doesn't matter which class. They are so weak, it's disguisting.
  9. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Why would you destroy a free juice dispenser? I'm sure the tanks on your team are very displeased with you.
  10. Kel

Kel New Member

Well, if I juice, I do my job. Complete destruction of everything in the way ... :D.
    And if I have no juice, I just kill everything in my way without juice.

No way to let a single laserblazer survive my epic anger.
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

If there was a way to make Lazer Blazers very effective against bots I think that alone would save it. Maybe only be able to target bots?

This way noobs would know not to build them everywhere as well as give them some kind of reason. Ideally base turrets should be made up of multiple turret types.

Players would have a choice. Our team is pushing and keeping the pressure so I shall build Longshots. My team is pinned into out base and enemy bots are knocking at out door, build a Lazer Blazer that way I can focus on Pro Control.

Lazer Blazers pre-XBox nerf were downright deadly. That fact alone made Rock-its basically pointless. Bringing their damage back to that would be too much, imo. If their damage output was to be returned I would say bringing back the original price for Rock-its be returned as well.
  12. corducken

corducken Member

lazer blazers are emergency turrets meant to hold off bots in the case your base has been completely wrecked so that your shields don't go down

they're inexpensive and weak because they're meant to be useful only against bots, giving you time to get your team back on its feet and start pushing back

it's a short reprieve so that you can stop worrying about bots for 5 seconds so you can take back your own territory from pros

Unfortunately, it's completely useless in most situations because it is fragile and only lazerazor arena gives any cover for turrets from certain positions, meaning unless your team bounces back instantly and isn't getting curbstomped by pros then getting back onto your feet is impossible

IMO, it's not just the lazer blazers that need changes, all turrets do. They're just not worth the money if your team can destroy bots efficiently. They are utility in some cases that can be useful, but only with a hack and only in certain nub positions and even then they're only temporary respite. The only turrets effective at keeping pros out are rock-its and shaveice, and again only with hacks and only at higher levels.

Even then, a single intelligent gunner can dismantle turrets from LITERALLY across the map if he knows how to arc his shots before anyone can do anything about it due to the sheer amount of strength that gun has against turrets. Then there are gap shots which come shooting out of the gate and can destroy long shots and laser blazers in as few as 3 shots. An investment as small as $200 can easily bring an enemy base to its knees.

And then, I could spend $600 on a level 3 rockit, but why do that when you can spend $500 on juice and cost the enemy team three times that in destruction costs and make back around half of that just through destruction and kill bounties. All of it if you're on a streak, which does not have an income reduction while juiced.

If I were in charge, I'd be slashing costs on turrets by 25% across the board sans blazers, giving them damage reduction for a short duration when they're fresh out of the box, and a free overheal and short duration special hack to start out with that decays after a short while but provides a slight increase to lethality, meaning turrets built in combat are less likely to be instantly destroyed after coming out of the box. Then I'd be cutting mortar damage multiplier by a small amount forcing gunners to use teamwork to dismantle the tougher turrets, and reducing all damage from juiced players by a fraction or so. Then I'd reduce the range bonus on hack slightly, and add that to the default range given to turrets, and reduce gap shot damage by 20%.

Then maybe, just maybe, I'd think about investing into them in a regular basis. Right now? They're merely annoyances in pubs.

tl;dr: Turrets are nigh useless in pubs as long as the enemy team has one or two competent players that know how to remove them. They need adjustments.
  13. Vuther

Vuther New Member

I think a reasonable thing to do with the LBs is to reduce the cost further and allow them to be upgraded all at once with the same build and upgrade time being the same as level 1 (after building one, you know how they are invincible while setting up but can't fire or be upgraded, taking longer with each level upgraded? I'm say to allow them to still be upgraded while they're doing that, taking no extra time to build). This could make them much better as emergency turrets.
  14. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

Just gotta watch out for a brightly colored corndog hanging out near one or else...
  15. Tigerhawk71

Tigerhawk71 Member

Blazers are fine and i stand by that. Like any turret, upgraded and defended properly and/or hacked they provide a notable deterrent in the right spots on some maps. You wouldn't build a long shot to replace the rockits you get by default, why expect a blazer to work in the same place as a rockit? They're cheap and nasty. They may be small but they do the trick.
  16. Rydiak

Rydiak New Member

Because a L1 Rock-It does more for $25 less than a L3 LazerBlazer...
  17. Dead Meat

Dead Meat New Member

LB's are what they are. EMERGENCY BOT SUPPRESSION SYSTEM.

Yes, they are horrible against pro's, but they stop bots in their tracks so you can kill them without them jumping on your ball. Rock-it's take too long to build. by the time they are ready, the enemy's bots have the chance to get past them.
  18. Mail

Mail New Member

It takes about the same amount of time to build a level 3 lazer blazer than it does to make a level 1 rock-it. The rock-it costs 25$ less, has more health, and does more dps especially if they're clumped together(which they usually are). The only thing I can say for lazer blazers is if they're hacked and overhealed in a mid-type area they can be pretty goddamn annoying to deal with. Especially if supported by a similarly hacked firebase. Goddamn it cirno.
  19. Dead Meat

Dead Meat New Member

Who said anything about a lvl3 LB? a lvl1 is built fast and gives you enough time to do your thing ... it gets trashed fast enough that you can put up a lvl1 Rock-it when the heat is off.
  20. Mail

Mail New Member

A level 1 lazer blazer can get killed by a wave of slimbots(trust me, I've tested them thoroughly). A level 2 is slightly more durable, and might actually do some damage. A level 3 is the only one really worth having for the long run, though, since letting one die is going to make that nub unusable for quite a chunk of time, as well as waste the investment you could have spent on a level 1 rock-it turret. Unlike the rock-it, you can't upgrade a level 3 lazer blazer to make it more effective. A level 3 lazer blazer puts out slightly less bot damage than a level 1 rock-it(even with the 8x multiplier), and the rock-it has splash damage, while the lazer blazer can only hit one bot at a time. Rock-it has more health, costs less, takes the same time to set up, and is upgradeable. Lazer blazers aren't really that useful.